Great day! Thanks for sharing the garage.. would have been horrific heat without it. I'll try and pull some of the GT3 vids following you guys, would love to see if any of the sim racer folks got some good videos.. i've no idea what it sounds like on that pit wall.

Enjoyed following @EthanMenace around when fully going for it - i was barely catching at the end, i think you posted a faster best time too? i've just noticed we didn't record any laptimes for the passenger laps with the red flag in the middle as i had hit pause but didn't un-pause :worried:

I need to watch a video and learn what line i should have been taking - clearly it isn't what i was doing.. or copying. unsurprisingly it's less comfortable washing out wide with overheating tyres in a GT3 than in the clio, i actually think i'd of been pretty much as fast in the clio as i was in the porsche.

Had a laugh with Ethan in passenger laps where in the same lap i lost the rear end at corner 1, received a phone call from the vodafone tracker about the car being stolen (left the dongle in the garage), the fuel warning light came up (despite half a tank) and then i had -7psi warning on tyres. Spent more time messing with electronics than driving!

Shame there were so many red flags, also lots of traffic when you have bigger power.. I think is evident - my 'optimal' laptime was 1:20s, but my best was only 1:24.4

great video! it shows how much more aggressive you can be in the clio - similar wheel movements would have had me in the sand 100%.

i just grabbed the garmin and watched my 'fastest' lap... it was when i slowed down to let Gav by before the red flag (to follow him, for family fun times.. get those excuses in now..), and also got held up pretty badly on the last chicane. i'm sure it's a ~1:19s car if not running road tyres and with some actual geo. will post later.

apparently 'decent' times in a 3RS GT3RS is ~1:17s, so no wonder a badly driven gt3 vs a well driven clio isn't that far apart. Would be interested to go back and get some tuition on a RWD line, rather than 'no sighting laps, straight in the deep end first time at the track and in the car'. this is why you learn to drive in a clio before buying a 3RS GT3RS... :smile:

Edit: i should stop writing 3RS.. it means mk3 RS200 here, but elsewhere it means GT3 RS.

great video! it shows how much more aggressive you can be in the clio - similar wheel movements would have had me in the sand 100%.

i just grabbed the garmin and watched my 'fastest' lap... it was when i slowed down to let Gav by before the red flag (to follow him, for family fun times.. get those excuses in now..), and also got held up pretty badly on the last chicane. i'm sure it's a ~1:19s car if not running road tyres and with some actual geo. will post later.

apparently 'decent' times in a 3RS GT3RS is ~1:17s, so no wonder a badly driven gt3 vs a well driven clio isn't that far apart. Would be interested to go back and get some tuition on a RWD line, rather than 'no sighting laps, straight in the deep end first time at the track and in the car'. this is why you learn to drive in a clio before buying a 3RS GT3RS... :smile:

Edit: i should stop writing 3RS.. it means mk3 RS200 here, but elsewhere it means GT3 RS.

I think there’s a big mental difference between throwing a £5000 clio into a corner compared to a Porsche GT3, I definitely would have been a lot more scared of binning one of those over the other!
My passenger laps with you didn’t feel slow at all but you’re right a bit more track time and less traffic the lap times would definitely be coming down

Reactions: jimmybell
I am planning on having a GR Yaris vs Clio battle soon.

I can tell you now a badly driven GR Yaris will be beaten by a Clio 200.
View attachment Header.jpg

Its a similar story in our household. Except the GR is well driven so an NA Clio doesn't get anywhere close to it.

My old man reckons mine with the Meg R26 gear in it will leave it for dust though, but we haven't been out in them together yet.

That is a great photo. Is the GR a rare non-circuit pack?

I think fear would hold me back from driving the Yaris too hard on a track as I don't mind a few marks on the Clio, but I would be wounded if the Yaris picked up similar marks or any damage.

That is a great photo. Is the GR a rare non-circuit pack?

I think fear would hold me back from driving the Yaris too hard on a track as I don't mind a few marks on the Clio, but I would be wounded if the Yaris picked up similar marks or any damage.

Yeah he isn't cool enough for LSD's, although to be honest you'd struggle to tell the difference between his and a circuit pack at anything other than 100% commitment on track or when driving on loose surfaces.

@EthanMenace and I did a few bits to the Clio this weekend.

Ethan adjusted the drivers seat position. The bucket seat is on fixed side mounts and at Snetterton and Donington Park we had both felt that we were not pushing the clutch pedal to the floor every time we changed gear. So the seat has moved forward slightly and we have tipped up the front end so that the front end of the seat closest to the steering wheel sits higher that the rear of the seat.

After getting the cup looms and cup handles in to the doors last weekend we were left with a minor problem that the passenger side door could only be unlocked from inside the car and did not unlock when we pressed the key card button. Ethan used his ever increasing knowledge of Renault Clio doors to fiddle with a connecting wire mechanism that sits between the door lock and key barrel in the door. This resulted in success so the passenger door lock is now working properly and opens from the outside when the keycard unlock button is pressed.

I ordered a sun strip last week that disappeared in the Evri tracking system. I then ordered another from another supplier and by Saturday both had arrived. We attempted to fit one of the sun strips and guessed how to fit it and made a complete mess of it. We cleaned the top of the windscreen and applied a very thin coat of soapy water and then fitted the first strip. It was too dry and we ended up with a sun strip that had lots of air bubbles in it.

We removed the first sun strip and then did some research which suggested the surface of the windscreen and the sun strip should be really wet to apply it correctly. The fitting of the second sun strip was a lot easier. With a soapy wet surface it meant that minor adjustments could be made without stretching the plastic material and it was far easier to use a bank card to get rid of air bubbles.

The one issue we encountered was that the sun strip was not as deep as we wanted it.

IMG_5232.jpeg

It is comically shallow and does not even cover up the full fat rain sensor.

IMG_5231.jpeg

The lack depth also makes the Renault Sport writing look slightly odd.

A new 12" matte black sun strip has now been ordered - hopefully that will look better.

Last edited: