Here are a few more videos from Snetterton.

Martin shows up about half way through the video.

This is Ethan driving enjoying a few laps behind Wes. Jimmy also makes an appearance.

Reactions: Beany
I had a day off today and after taking the dog to the beach I decided to clean the track wheels as they were looking filthy as they had never been cleaned.

IMG_5114.jpeg

The wheels did not look awful but they had a thick coating of grime on the barrel of the wheel and various bits of tyre debris stuck to the outer rims.

After and hour and half of scrubbing, using some Auto Finesse wheel cleaner, and tar remover, they looked marginally better.

IMG_5116.jpeg

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
I had a day off today and after taking the dog to the beach I decided to clean the track wheels as they were looking filthy as they had never been cleaned.

View attachment 154497

The wheels did not look awful but they had a thick coating of grime on the barrel of the wheel and various bits of tyre debris stuck to the outer rims.

After and hour and half of scrubbing, using some Auto Finesse wheel cleaner, and tar remover, they looked marginally better.

View attachment 154498
Get some bilt hamber auto wheels and you’ll not look back.
Damn them wheels are sexy

Reactions: burrellbloke
Hopefully the cup chassis will be picked up tomorrow and taken to the scrap yard.

IMG_5139.jpeg

All of the cup "elements" have now been stripped out of the shell. I noticed at the weekend that the working car still has a silver knob on the end of the hand brake so even the handbrake handle came out of the old cup. If we stick to the current plan between June and September we will have a go at swapping the cup loom with the full fat loom and see if we can get rid of some of the electrical gremlins like the windows not working. If all goes to plan we can replace the key card with a normal key with a proper ignition barrel.

I think that if we are going to swap the looms that might mean that some of the interior comes out and then stays out permanently.

I am finally going to order a genuine Cup spoiler at the end of the month.

[mention]burrellbloke [/mention] [mention]EthanMenace [/mention] have you guys got a full bonnet cable at all that you would like to sell ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This weekend the dodgy windows have been sorted. Ever since we got v2 of the car it has had electrical problems which caused minor irritations like the radio not working, or the boot release not working.

We are at Donington on Tuesday with the prospect of weather in the high 20s. Our electric windows have never worked.

Yesterday we tried something simple. We picked up a door that we had removed from the Cup and took it to the car. The existing door was unplugged from the loom and the door from the Cup was plugged in. To our amazement the electric window then worked. @EthanMenace had already tried swapping motors and regulators over.

IMG_5161.jpeg

The old Cup doors have been stripped of their respective looms and they have been installed in the full fat doors now.

Whilst Ethan was faffing around with the doors he also removed the full fat handles which had bee sprayed by a previous owner but had seen better days. Now we are back to matt black plastic Cup handles.

IMG_5162.jpeg

We went to Donington Park today and did a Track Obsession track day on the National circuit. I had been a bit concerned about the weather over the last week as there had been predictions of 28 degrees C for the track day, but as usual I worried unnecessarily and the weather just proved to be perfect for the day. It was bright sunshine with no rain throughout the day.

The track day had a very relaxed schedule as the sighting laps were at 10am and the track was due to open at 10.20am. To make things even more relaxed @EthanMenace and I travelled up from Essex the night before and stayed in a cheap Travelodge.

Jimmy Broadbent made an appearance at the track day which meant that it was sold out and there were lots of people milling about who were not driving cars but had just turned up to see Jimmy Broadbent. The first two garages were packed with Jimmy Broadbent's cars, entourage and a sim racing set up. I had not heard of the bloke until recently. This photo sets the scene, people at a track day watching someone racing on a sim rig and ignoring the cars on track and in the garages. Different things interest different people but these people were missing out on the cars, the noise, the smell of the track action.

IMG_5202.jpeg

The real star of the day was a different Jimmy, that is @jimmybell. After his Clio exploded a few weeks ago he turned up in his rather nice
Porsche 911 GT3. Here we have a fast car, with Jimmy's car just behind it.

IMG_5200.jpeg

Track day organisers now seem to have proper briefings in the morning rather than rely on a COVID safe remote video briefings. After successfully sticking my hand up and answering a question in the meeting I was given some free merch - who doesn't like a freebie?

IMG_5206.jpeg

The mix of cars was great. There was a Ferrari 458 (I have no idea which variant), a few M3s, a few Lotus cars, lots of Honda powered EP3s, Integras, quite a few C1 race cars, some MX5s and then there were some Renault Sports. I think I saw about 5 Clio 197/200s excluding the Track Obsession hire cars. There were a few 172/182s and a number of mk3 Meganes.

The Clio had no modifications or upgrades for today - other than the recent addition of moving electric windows.

I went out for a short stint first and the car was feeling good. We were running the MRF ZTE tyres that were abused at Cadwell, Thruxton and Snetterton recently. Despite the tread rapidly disappearing they were still providing enough grip throughout the day. During my first session I set a lap time of 1m 36s. Ethan set a 1m 26s on his first session. Last year we had set lap times of 1m 32s and 1m 28s respectively. The track was busy in the morning meaning that you had to queue to get on, and we often had to let faster cars come past which became a bit irritating due to the sheer number of cars. But as we got to the afternoon the track started to clear and by 4pm the track was pretty clear.

IMG_5221.jpeg

Jimmy was kind enough to give Ethan and me a few passenger rides today which meant that we both got some seat time without a passenger in the Clio. His Porsche really is a different beast to the Clio with masses of straight line speed, and too much power to simply floor the accelerator at the apex of a corner. The Clio feels a lot more nimble in corners and has lots less understeer when it only has one large male sat in it, sadly it does not match JImmy's Porsche for speed or style. But, when I was out with Jimmy for a passenger ride Ethan managed to keep ahead of the Porsche in the Clio. It was a bit of an unfair comparison as the Clio was on semi slicks with a half decent geo set up and Jimmy's car was on road tyres with minimal camber.

By the end of day I had managed to get my lap time down to 1m 26s and Ethan had set an impressive 1m 23s. Both times were improvements on last years times without there being too many changes with the car since last year - other than it being a different shell.

The day was really good. I had a good chat with @AndyP who was at Donington in his Clio 172. The morning crush with too many cars resolved itself by the afternoon giving us both track time without having to constantly let other cars past. Like the last track day I felt like I was making real progress with my driving and was able to drive the Clio like it should be. My last lap at 5pm did involve some late breaking and dabbing two tyres in the gravel at Old Hairpin but no damage was done so everything was fine.

We have no more track days booked until Oulton Park in September 2023. I might take the Yaris for an evening track session at Brands Hatch over the summer and if I do I am sure Ethan will bring the Clio along.

I will get the Cup spoiler painted and fitted over the next few weeks. The next purchase for the Clio may be a Sabelt Cup Racer steering wheel, boss and Volantech 6 button panel.