I don’t know if the cold air feed breaks any championship rules and regulations. I do know that it would be a MOT failure so not legal for the road.

Last edited:
I recently acquired an OBDLinkMX+ OBD2 dongle with a decent refresh rate. The previous dongle I had was a very cheap device that extracted car data but at a painfully slow speed.

At Thruxton I used RaceBox to record the GPS data from the sessions and I used Harry's Lap Timer to extract the car data. I threw the GoPro footage together with the RacBox data and Harry's Lap Timer data so that I could see on the videos:
  1. The speedo
  2. The rev counter
  3. Gear selection
  4. Throttle
  5. Brake
The Clio does not output brake pedal information via the ODB2 port (unless there is a custom PID that I have not come across yet) so the brake information is linear deceleration which gives a rough estimate of the braking force being applied.

I could have just connected the RaceBox to Harry's lap timer and used it as a GPS device, but I like the way RaceBox presents the analysis information in their app and on their website.

This is one of @EthanMenace sessions with the data all tied together.

The best track sessions are when there are other cars to chase, to try to over take, or to try to keep in front of. When there is some fun traffic lap times are irrelevant because the fun is just driving. I am finding recently that morning sessions have a lot of traffic on track which makes them more entertaining but by 3pm tracks are virtually empty. Thruxton was a circuit where most cars carry a lot of speed around the track which made it more difficult to get past on Thursday which in turn made the experience less exciting. So, in the absence of traffic I try to improve my lap times by attempting to drive better. I am hoping that by comparing @EthanMenace laps to mine I might make some slight improvements over time.

I am going to have a close look at @jimmybell Garmin Catalyst when he is at Donington. I had a chat with someone who had one at Thruxton and they suggested that the Catalyst can aggressively guide you round the track with voice commands pointing out how you can improve your driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiamP and Beany
Jimmy is at Snetterton with us this month, is he not? I've been looking for your sessions to pop up on Racebox but I've not seen them yet, it's been a handy tool when other people have driven the car so I can actually see their entry speeds and apex speeds compared to my own.

Not sure on that to be fair. I found mine to be mega handy last week, obviously it's not going to be as comprehensive as the Garmin but for the price, the Racebox is a great bit of kit.

Not sure on that to be fair. I found mine to be mega handy last week, obviously it's not going to be as comprehensive as the Garmin but for the price, the Racebox is a great bit of kit.

RaceBox is good value for money. To be fair I should probably look at the RaceBox data when I am at the track rather than when I have got home!

You’re welcome to have a look and play with it, i’m still learning to use it. Haven’t yet gotten as far as the real time coaching - had planned to try at snett.

The old Cup has slowly been stripped and various parts have been sold. I am getting bored of seeing the Cup on my drive now. The Wife describes it as a "the flying car" as it has been on axle stands for months now. I am surprised my neighbours have not complained about it yet.

IMG_5082.jpeg

Last weekend @EthanMenace stripped the wiring loom out of the cup together with the ECU, steering column, ignition barrel, immobiliser and the manual heating controls and heater - basically all the parts we might need if we decide to get rid of the full fat electrics.

We have already taken off the subframe and will get the rear beam off the cup soon so that when we get round to it they can be upgraded off the car.

There is not much left of the Cup although it still has a bootlid and doors.

Hopefully we will get it moved off the drive soon.

Last edited:
We went to Snetterton for a MSV track day today. @Beany @Helpimonfire @jimmybell were all booked on to the track day as well.

The track day looked like it was sold out as there were a lot of cars there. There was a good selection of Clios including the four from here in addition to a few more 197s and 200s and some 182s. The paddock had been taken over by Fun Cup lorries and a massive marquee. The Fun Cup drivers turned out to be rather annoying as they seemed to refuse to move over and allow you to pass when they were running slower. They were responsible for at least half of the red flags today with broken down cars.

@BigBen came to the track day and spent a few hours regretting the fact that he did not have driving licence with him and could not book on to take his new motor for a spin. It was good to see Ben.

After doing the safety briefing and sighting laps we got started on track. @EthanMenace did the first session on track. The MRFs that we had on the Ultraleggra wheels had worn quite quickly at Thruxton and I was expecting the tyres to take a battering at Snetterton. We decided to up the pressure on the tyres to 35 psi hot from the usual of 28 to 30 psi that we normally ran the tyres at. The tyres when warmed up were giving enough grip to get round corners but also to allow the car to rotate. At then end of the first session @EthanMenace had set a lap time of 2m 26 to improve on throughout the day.

I went out for second session which was red flagged before I even got out of the pit lane. Then after doing three laps the session was red flagged again.

IMG_5083.jpeg

Ethan went out for the third session and spent most of the time chasing @Helpimonfire mate Wes - the one with the Golf R. But Wes was not very interested in driving his own car and was driving during this session in @Beany Clio. Wes appears to have no fear and was clearly enjoying himself tearing through the traffic. The rest to the day followed this pattern chasing Clios and other cars on track without too much traffic, but just enough to make it very enjoyable.

After finally getting a decent session under my belt I started to feel really in control of the Clio. I have spent most track days knowing that the car is very capable but not having the confidence to push it to the edge. Today things just clicked for me around the track and I suddenly had the confidence to launch the Clio in fourth gear at 90 mph in to Riches, to keep the throttle planted around Williams, and to do 80 mph around Coram. I was quite happy with a lap time of 2m 26s as a result of just enjoying myself.

Ethan told me that today is the first time he has felt comfortable in the car with my driving, rather than gripping the seat in fear wondering what might happen!

In the afternoon the fun continued. We took turns having sessions on track where the Clio continued to perform really well catching most powerful cars in the corners and keeping up in the battles even though the other cars may have had better straight line speed.

The last sessions of the day were probably the best. Ethan went out closely followed by @jimmybell who had Wes as his passenger to give him some tips. Towards the end of the session @jimmybell disappeared in a cloud of smoke as his engine let go as we went through Brundle. I managed to use the last 15 minutes of a track day to get a bit faster.

This is @EthanMenace fastest lap of the day at 2m 22s.

I managed to do a respectable 2m 25s today.

IMG_5092.jpeg

The tyres did not wear much at all today. I was expecting to have to throw away the current MRFs after today but it looks like they will be good enough to use at Donington next month. As we will not have to pay to change the tyres over in May it means there is more money left in the pot for the cup spoiler.

The day ended on a bit of a sour note as @jimmybell engine had a catastrophic failure of some kind.

I recored a lot of footage today which should include @Beany @Helpimonfire and @jimmybell so I will upload it at some point.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was slower on the day too. At the beginning of the month I managed a 2:20 and yesterday I was putting in constant 2:23/24s with a couple of 2:22s. I don't know if it was me or Wes that dipped into the 21s but everyone seemed to be a few seconds off pace yesterday. Great day though, really enjoyed it!

Reactions: Beany
I'm glad it wasn't just me that was slower on the day too. At the beginning of the month I managed a 2:20 and yesterday I was putting in constant 2:23/24s with a couple of 2:22s. I don't know if it was me or Wes that dipped into the 21s but everyone seemed to be a few seconds off pace yesterday. Great day though, really enjoyed it!
Slow!? I do not think that I have lapped Snetterton any faster than 2m 25s before.

There was a fair bit of traffic yesterday.

I have attempted to share some laps with you over RaceBox but I cannot figure out how to confirm they have been sent? Try sharing your best lap with me.

Slow!? I do not think that I have lapped Snetterton any faster than 2m 25s before.

There was a fair bit of traffic yesterday.

I have attempted to share some laps with you over RaceBox but I cannot figure out how to confirm they have been sent? Try sharing your best lap with me.

Oh not you Gav, you were going well all day. I meant Ethan with his fancy 2:17 last year!

I've not seen anything come up, I think you need to put my email in again to share it like you did before? I'll have another look.

That is a fine bit of rotation, even better that you caught it on camera at Croft and chuckled about it as you drove through the cloud of dirt off in to the distance.

I have no shame over my track antics. I would like to think that I am improving very slowly.

• Love
Reactions: RSRowe
Yesterday at Snetterton did have a good social feel to it, with some good driving.

Get the Targa out and slum it with a standard set up.