It’s the toe which makes em dicey on the roads. If you stay below 20’ of toe out, they’re fine in my experience.

The ride from the coilovers has more of a negative effect of road characteristics I think.

It’s the toe which makes em dicey on the roads. If you stay below 20’ of toe out, they’re fine in my experience.

The ride from the coilovers has more of a negative effect of road characteristics I think.
Does the rear toe in slightly from factory?

Courtesy of some very generous Christmas presents from mum and @burrellbloke we have some more track days booked for next year!

6th April - Brands Hatch evening session
14th June - Donnington
11th July - Anglesey
4th August - Snetterton

We both enjoyed brands and Snetterton last time we went and we've never been to Anglesey or Donnington so definitely looking forward to them.
Then we've got Croft booked as well on the 6th of may for the unofficial 197.net meet.

Its looking like a good year so far!
:track:

I was given a Renault shark fin aerial as a Christmas present and we managed to get in on the car today.

IMG_2722.jpeg

The stock aerial had been replaced a long time ago as it was looking tatty and faded. It had been replaced with a short stubby aerial that was about £10. The lower half was supposed to be a dark colour but it slowly faded and turned silver.

The shark fin was easy to install. After removing a few clips, moving the headliner away from the roof, the old aerial base unbolted and lifted off the roof. The new aerial went in and the white connector clipped in for the FM signal. The Clio is a cup and does not have the wiring for the brown navigation plug on the new aerial.

IMG_2724.jpeg

It was starting to get dark by the time we had finished putting the boot liner and clips back in. I much prefer the shark fin aerial. It is a bit bulkier but matches the general colour scheme of white paint with black badges. I will take the car out for a drive tomorrow to double check that the aerial actually works.

IMG_2725.jpeg

Plans for the New Year:

1. Repair the drivers side seat bolster tear with Steve Murr.
2. Get some coilovers - probably some Billy's to get a combination of a better ride for everyday use and a tighter ride for a few track days.
3. Do a track day at Anglesey.
4. Refresh the brakes with new discs and pads.

We managed to complete 3 out of 4 of my tasks for 2021. We are booked on to do Anglesey on 11th July 2022 with Track Obsession next year so that will deal with my 2021 bucket list.

It is odd how you achieve one thing with your car and then want more. I was really pleased when then B14s went on last year and within less than 12 months they are going to be replaced with some Gaz Golds. My plans for 2022 are:

1. Install the Gaz Golds on the car when they are delivered
2. Get the geo set up with Cup Racer settings
3. Refresh the gearbox and drop in a Gripper LSD
4. Refurb the Ultraleggeras
5. Remap to take advantage of the V6 airbox and gas flowed and ported inlets/manifolds
6. Do more track days

I think that with our budget for the car, and I don't mean a "man maths" budget, we should be able to make a few more changes in the second half of 2022. Replace the track tyres, a new gear shifter and perhaps a half cage?

We attempted to fix a door droop issue yesterday. The drivers side door has always been very slightly droopy and yesterday seemed to be a good day to tackle the issue. I had looked through the workshop manual and that said the correct method of adjusting the door droop was to take off the front bumper, and wing. A sightly quicker method had been suggested here.

The droop means that when the door is shut it goes ker-clunk rather than clunk. The door brushes against the latch on the main body of the car before the mechanism then straightens itself as the door shuts. It is not a problem but a minor irritation that I wanted to resolve.

IMG_2738.jpeg

We jacked up the car, took off the drivers side wheel, ripped out the arch liners and then loosened off the door hinge bolts. I pulled up the door to a position that looked correct. We then tightened up the bolts and put it all back together. We tested the door when the car was on the ground - it had not changed anything.

When we have a few spare hours we will follow the workshop manual method which will give better access to the door hinge bolts and take four times as long.

Reactions: Sean197 and suj
I’ll keep eye on this as my drivers door suffers the same. Such big doors that it’s inevitable that over time the door will droop

Reactions: EthanMenace
Easiest way is to take the front wheel plastic arch liners off (to remove the rear half you need to remove the front half so both) then you have access to the hinge mounting nuts you can loosen them off a little so you can close and adjust the drop on the door then tighten them up. Jacking up the car will twist the chassis so when you’re finished and back on wheels it might not be right, I adjusted mine and a modus it was no problem the door lock and striker has a little adjustment I only loosened the bottom hinge to the car nuts for this with the door almost closed adjusted the height and tightened off.

1641235644006.png
1641235325295.png

Last edited:
The sun was out today so the Clio was treated to a quick vacuum and clean inside. I took it for a quick drive down to the local "tip" to get rid of some rubbish and yet again it put a smile on my face. I really like the driving characteristics of the car and am eager to finish off the plans for the Clio before the start of April 2022 when we are at Brands Hatch for the evening.

I am still waiting on the Gaz Golds to be delivered. Christmas and COVID has meant that they may take longer than expected - but that seems to be the way of the world at the moment.

The car has now been booked in to AW Motorsports at the start of March 2022 for a gearbox refresh and for a Gripper LSD to be installed.

The MOT expires at the start of February 2022 so I will get the car MOT'd this week or next. I am hoping that it will sail through the MOT as all of the basic maintenance tasks were completed last year.

Gaz Gold and a Gripper… it’s gonna be transformed [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took me 3 years to buy a set of coilovers and a diff, and these boys have gone from 0 to 11 reeeeal quick!
You’re gonna be taken back with the difference

Reactions: R20BTG
I suppose it's a fair advisory notice to cover their ass. I don't think they're allowed to remove anything to conduct the MOT, so he won't have been able to inspect the state of the spring or whether the damper was leaking etc.

I suppose it's a fair advisory notice to cover their ass. I don't think they're allowed to remove anything to conduct the MOT, so he won't have been able to inspect the state of the spring or whether the damper was leaking etc.

I might put the entire car in a bag next year!

• Haha
Reactions: Joec1996