The Oz Ultraleggera's were delivered yesterday. They look like they are in reasonable condition. They have a set of 235/45/R17 Falken tyres on them at the moment which are no use to me - although they may fit my daughter's Alfa.

I am wondering what colour to get them refurbed in? I think a bright yellow would be perfect for the track, @EthanMenace wants a more subtle colour like bronze/gold like a Clio Willams wheel. This yellow colour might not be strong enough, I was thinking of something like a sunflower yellow or a flattened liquid yellow.

c5d0af93-fcc5-4771-b576-fca15a864f58.jpeg

Bronze or gold is a more "sensible colour choice" - but may be too tame for me.

ba192c25-8666-4d5e-ace1-651d27301b64.jpeg

I am not really sure if I am going to get any rubbing issues with the ET40 offset so surely the best way to deal with the situation is to get them refurbed, put the Direzzas on them, and then try them out? The car is not silly low with a 20mm drop on B14s and about 1.5 degrees of negative camber at the front, but hopefully by early January 2022 the Clio will have some YellowSpeeds with a bit more negative camber to tuck the larger offset nicely within the wheel arch.

I am hoping to get some minor work done on the Clio this weekend. The oil was last changed in April or May 2021 and as the car has done a few track days I thought I would treat it to some new Fuchs Titan Race Pro and a new oil filter. I also need to get the eBay wiper linkage on the car.

@EthanMenace and I have now agreed to get a Gripper for the Clio in the new year. Hopefully we will have enough money around February or March 2022 to get the gearbox and LSD work done by AW Motorworks.

Last edited:
Red? The car has some yellow accents, albeit not much on the exterior apart from some badges and door bullets. Porsche Guards Red is a nice shade of red but would be a bit of leftfield choice.

Red? The car has some yellow accents, albeit not much on the exterior apart from some badges and door bullets. Porsche Guards Red is a nice shade of red but would be a bit of leftfield choice.

Ah I'd forgotten about the yellow bits. Have them match the shade of yellow then.

I am a gold / bronze fan personally.

Also good choice on the Gripper!

I would say get tyres on them first before you splash out on refurb just in case you think they do poke too much and rub / cause damage?

Reactions: EthanMenace
I had my calipers done in Sunflower yellow to start with and it was gash. It's a really washy colour. If you want a strong yellow, go down the RAL colour chart and see what tickles your fancy. It'll also be a solid colour so easy to touch up.

The car was treated to an oil change, new oil filter, and a new non-OEM wiper linkage today. The Clio has been running on Fuchs Titan Race pro 5W40 for the past 18 months. The Clio does not really suffer with much oil consumption, apart from when it is pushed harder on track days. I had ordered a new oil filter, sump plug and sump washer ages ago but had just not had time to do the work.

IMG_2574.jpeg

The oil that came out was reasonably dark - it was only changed in April or May 2021.

IMG_2578.jpeg

The oil filter was difficult, as usual, to get off and looked like it had been properly mangled by the time @EthanMenace had got it off of the block.

IMG_2582.jpeg

I have seen a few people write the mileage and date on their new oil filters before they put it on the car so I decided to copy the idea.

IMG_2581.jpeg

The car was then filled with just over 5 litres of oil. I will check the oil level over the next few days to make sure it has the right amount in the car.

The final task was to sort out the wiper linkage. The linkage had seized a number of weeks ago and despite my best efforts to get a second hand linkage in time for Bedford we ended up with a bodged linkage that was held in place on the drivers side with some cable ties. After playing around with the swing of the wiper motor arm and the position of the wiper arms the wipers were finally working smoothly with the correct motion and the new linkage. Now the wipers sit in the "rested" position just under the black area of the bottom of the windscreen rather than sitting further up on the windscreen.

IMG_2583.jpeg

We also did a test fit of one of the Oz Ultraleggera wheels on the front drivers side. The wheel is ET40 and has a 235/45/R17 Falken tyre on it (the tyres turned up on the wheels when they were delivered on a pallet). The wheel sticks out a lot but part of that is due to the 235 wide tyre. It does not help that I have not got the right size wheel bolts to hold the wheel properly against the hub. The wheel bolts that we have are the right size for Speedlines and 20mm spacers. The wheel looks odd in a silver colour. I still think that more negative camber, 215 wide tyres and stiffer suspension will make the wheels work.

IMG_2579.jpeg

How much oil do you use during a track day? I use between 300ml and 500ml during a full track day

Funny you should mention that - I have just ordered a set of Gaz Golds. I told myself that 2.3 degrees of negative camber was enough. Then I sold a lot of crap of eBay which was about the price difference between Yellow Speeds and Gaz Golds.
Haha. Lucky prompt!
why do you think you’ll be limited to only -2.3°?

Haha. Lucky prompt!
why do you think you’ll be limited to only -2.3°?

Yellow Speeds have a maximum negative camber of 2.3 degrees with their top mounts. I was trying to convince myself that I would not want more in the future.

The Gaz Golds will go further.

Reactions: Big Ben