The brakes are all stock at the minute. The rears have some Pagid pads and I think that the fronts are also Pagid. The fluid was flushed through and changed last year to some Febi Dot 4. The brakes did fade a little during a track day in December 2020. I did not really expect the brakes to perform other than the they on the road, when they do not get intense use.

I am thinking about either DS2500 all round, or maybe some DS 1.1 at the front and some DS2500 at the back. For discs I might spend a bit more and not get the HC Brembo discs, more for looks than performance, and get some drilled or grooved Brembo discs.

I have got a refurb kit for the rear callipers to replace the pistons and seals but have not found the time to sort them out yet. I might task @EthanMenace with that job as he is refurbing a set of callipers for his Trophy.

When the discs and pads have been replaced I will probably flush through and replace the fluid using CLIP rather than a pressure bleeder.

Reactions: suj
I wouldn't bother with drilled or grooved, the standard Brembo HC are plenty good enough.
I've not used DS1.1 but plenty on here have and rave about them, I have used DS2500 and hate them, they're rubbish in my honest opinion (used on Clio and on some previous cars, same result).

Definitely upgrade your fluid, something like Motul RBF660 or something similar to cope with high temps.

@adam thomas had problems with his bleeding, he used CLIP and no pleasure bleeder, felt crap still, then I told him to get the Sealey Pressure Bleeder, he used CLIP too and it's bang on. I did it without CLIP with no problems.

i haven't been on track but I use PBS ProRace pads and they were great hooning on country lanes on my roadtrip, Adam also ran them and I got @d6n to buy them and on his first trackday recently he said they were bang on.

Last edited:
Lucky miss there!! Sort that hand position out though

Juddering is likely to be pickup, not sure what pagid’s are like but with the ds1.11 you need to be on/off on the pedal, any dragging and you will get pickup that causes juddering once hot. Have you had a look at the discs / pads?

ds1.11 are awesome (when used correctly), they are race pads so you have to use them as such also work well enough cold for day to day with no screeching on brembo HC.

Fuck me that was a close one!

As for brakes I'm running DS2500 with RBF660 fluid and they're much better than the standard Brembo pads, I run the standard Brembo discs and they survived a sprint day and a full day of hammering around Snetterton with no real fade, I did pick up some better pads from Ben this week so we'll see what they're like.

Lucky escape though! Glad the car was alright, I bet your pants weren't though... :tearsofjoy:

Lucky miss there!! Sort that hand position out though

Juddering is likely to be pickup, not sure what pagid’s are like but with the ds1.11 you need to be on/off on the pedal, any dragging and you will get pickup that causes juddering once hot. Have you had a look at the discs / pads?

ds1.11 are awesome (when used correctly), they are race pads so you have to use them as such also work well enough cold for day to day with no screeching on brembo HC.

My lardy frame is too much for the Recaro - but you are right I should keep my hands on the wheel.

I have not looked at the pads yet, the discs seem okay, although there was scoring on one of the rears.

Fuck me that was a close one!

As for brakes I'm running DS2500 with RBF660 fluid and they're much better than the standard Brembo pads, I run the standard Brembo discs and they survived a sprint day and a full day of hammering around Snetterton with no real fade, I did pick up some better pads from Ben this week so we'll see what they're like.

Lucky escape though! Glad the car was alright, I bet your pants weren't though... :tearsofjoy:

My pants were fine - it was like an adrenalin moment where it did not really register until I had driven away and stopped to think about it.

I wouldn't bother with drilled or grooved, the standard Brembo HC are plenty good enough.
I've not used DS1.1 but plenty on here have and rave about them, I have used DS2500 and hate them, they're rubbish in my honest opinion (used on Clio and on some previous cars, same result).

Definitely upgrade your fluid, something like Motul RBF660 or something similar to cope with high temps.

@adam thomas had problems with his bleeding, he used CLIP and no pleasure bleeder, felt crap still, then I told him to get the Sealey Pressure Bleeder, he used CLIP too and it's bang on. I did it without CLIP with no problems.

i haven't been on track but I use PBS ProRace pads and they were great hooning on country lanes on my roadtrip, Adam also ran them and I got @d6n to buy them and on his first trackday recently he said they were bang on.
This.

Get some PBS and bleed it all through with CLIP and a sealey pressure bleeder.

Yes they're like £60 but trust me, they're worth it !

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Exact same one I've got too. I had a lot of air in my ABS pump and had to use this along with my other half pumping the pedal. Worked a treat without CLIP but ideally you'd use the software to cycle the pump to be sure.

Reactions: burrellbloke
We took off the front drivers side arch liner today. It was cracked in several places after my lucky escape yesterday.

A7C04C98-68B5-46EF-9EA7-DAB387DFFEB7.jpeg

The bottom of the arch liner also has some damage.

C914CC2D-1312-4557-B4DA-96F3C23D2D14.jpeg

One side of the arch liner has been treated with some JB Weld whilst the other has some heavy duty tape holding it all together.

A87BC8A9-57BD-43DA-B371-A8D3DF5CC490.jpeg

Provided that the JB Weld works the arch liner can go back on the car.

Reactions: Helpimonfire
The Clio is going to be treated to new brake pads and discs soon. The Sealy pressure bleeder and 2 litres of RBF600 brake fluid has already arrived. We will attempt to give the car a "proper" bleed including the clutch and the ABS pump using CLIP.

New drilled R26 discs will go on the car. Despite everyone's sensible advice we have decided to waste some extra cash and get drilled discs rather than some HC discs.

For pads we have gone for Ferodo DS2500's for front and back. The car does more miles on the road than the track so it will be DS2500s rather than DS1.11s.

I ordered a rear calliper refurb kit ages ago. When we do the brakes we will replace the seals and pistons in the rear callipers. One of the rear callipers was slightly sticky before but since the pads were taken off and everything was lubed up again it has been fine.

We just need to find some time to do the work before the unofficial Snetterton clio197.net meet.

We made some progress with the brakes over the weekend.

@EthanMenace put in most of the hard work and removed the rear callipers and used a refurb kit to replace the pistons and seals. The paintwork on the rear callipers still looked a bit flakey but I was more concerned with their moving parts and performance rather than their looks.

The rear discs came off and then we used a hammer and a blunt chisel to prise the ABS sensor brackets off of the stub axle.

IMG_2092.jpeg

The old ABS sensor brackets looked very corroded, although they were still working and had not been causing any problems.

IMG_2095.jpeg

When the ABS sensor brackets had been banged in to place using a hammer they were double checked to make sure they were sitting as far back on the stub axle as possible. The new drilled rear discs then went on. The front and rear face of the discs were wiped over with some brake cleaner to get rid of any oily deposits. The discs were spinning freely and are not rubbing on the ABS sensor bracket.

IMG_2094.jpeg

The refurbished callipers then went back on.

IMG_2098.jpeg

The rear callipers have brand new seals and pistons - apart from the paint they look okay. The Ferodo DS2500 pads were then put in to the callipers.

IMG_2096.jpeg

Finally everything was tightened up including the new hub nuts.

IMG_2097.jpeg

The next job was the bleed the rear brakes as the pistons had been emptied of brake fluid. @adam thomas had recommended a Sealey pressure bleeder which I had purchased and had also bought another Sealey bottle to catch the brake fluid from the bleed nipple.

IMG_2099.jpeg

It was an impressive bit of kit. I filled up the pressure bleeder with about 1.5 litres of RBF600 brake fluid and then connected the pressure bleeder to the brake fluid reservoir. The kit has a metal clip that makes a delightful mechanical clunk when it goes in. The lid that screws on to the brake fluid reservoir fits perfectly and has a small tube that is about 40mm long so that it feeds brake fluid directly in to the reservoir tank into the fluid area rather than dribbling it on top.

IMG_2100.jpeg

The bottle to catch the expelled brake fluid is also really well designed. It has a rubber end that fits snuggly on to the bleed nipple meaning that the whole system is pressurised and no fluid leaks out. Last time we tried to flush the brake fluid it was using an EziBleed system attached to a tyre and we were catching the old fluid in a plastic cup that inevitably fell over a few times.

We flushed through about 1 litre of fluid through the rear callipers using the new pressure bleeder. When we tested the pedal it still felt a little bit soft so we then used a two man method of opening the bleed nipple, flooring the brake pedal, then closing the bleed nipple. We managed to get a few more air bubbles out and the pedal felt good once we had finished.

IMG_2101.jpeg

We were going to change the front discs and replace the front pads with some more Ferodo DS2500s but then we realised that we needed a 12mm hex socket to get the front callipers off. A 12mm hex socket is one part of our toolkit the we are missing so we will attempt to finish off the front brakes this week provided that the weather is okay and this new addition to the family behaves himself.

IMG_2074.jpeg