Frozen brakes!!

Clio*Nick

Platinum Member
This morning I tried to go to work at 8am and the rear calipers wouldnt release when i let the hand brake off. The back wheels were just dragging along not turning

They were stuck fast so had to get a lift to work. My dad went out and managed to thaw them out with a hair dryer in the afternoon and they were fine lol

Is there anyway to stop this happening again? Seriously I have never heard of the brakes icing on, happened to anyone else?

they are a bugger for sticking when its damp let aloan when its freezing.

how about spaying de-icer on them.? not sure if thats really unsafe or not though.

yeah i thought about de-icer but didnt know if that would mess up the friction of the pads or whatever so didnt want to risk it.

Used to get this on my old fiesta after washing it and that had drum brakes on the back. You could start driving with the rear tyres just skidding over the tarmac!

Only thing I could suggest is experiment with putting the handbrake on harder or softer

Try just leaving the the car in gear and the handbrake off, I never leave my handbrake on as my clio is always parked up for a week or more,

Could possibly warp the discs due to the weather, you need to use tap water, its still cold but will reduce the ice and prevent any damage

Warp solid hi carbon steel, with warm water?

I best not wash the car when the weather is cold, it'll look like a prune when those thin panels warp and crinkle up!! :rofl:

I'm teasing, but that did make my morning!

Try just leaving the the car in gear and the handbrake off, I never leave my handbrake on as my clio is always parked up for a week or more,

What foley says - though my old an used to do this all year round (so he didnt stretch the hand brake cable :'() ... and it bit him on the arse when the cable siezed up :clap: :clap: :clap:

Im having this issue as well, although my wheels arnt completely locked. Just feels like Im trying to pull a caravan or something. Cant remember it happening last year though, or earlier on this year should I say.

Rekon the car cover for small cars from halfrauds would fit? OR should I opt for the medium size.

Hi this also happened to me yesterday, again not completely stuck but car not very happy to be moving.
We left the handbrake off and car seems to be semi ok today.

Happened again this morning so i put some tap water in an old spray bottle and sprayed onto the disc and pad and it managed to release.

Think im going to get one of those car covers to put over the car at night. The 197 is just too wide to put into my garage which is annoying

happened to me this morning but managed to get a lift to work, think i will try the warm water trick tonight and if they release i will leave the handbrake off, got to use the car in the morning!!

Please don't use de-icer on the calipers :zomg:

I would recommend using brake cleaner to get the same effect though.

I had this when setting off the other day - fortunately they unstuck after a few feet, it was much worse than after cleaning!

Rear brakes were solid this morning! A watering can of warm water did the trick but for how long? Are the pads sticking in the caliper or are they freezing to the disc? What a cr@p design!!! :-(