Frozen brakes!!

Mine done it for the first time last night. Considering my scheme is covered in snow and ice it was rather eventful driving around for about 5 minutes with locked rear wheels. Got a few condesending looks from the neighbours.

Will just be leaving the car in gear with the handbrake off in future. All was well this morning.

Last edited:
It's quite common knowledge that in minus temperatures you leave the car in gear rather than using the hand brake because the calipers have a habit of ceizing on.

Mine did it again today and yes, back end was sliding all over the show, I had to abandon the car and get some boiling water on the go.
My 197 didnt do it at all last year, neither has any car Ive had with rear discs, not saying that it doesn't happen to others of course. This is the first one for me. Everyone at work finds it comical playing the "****e french car" card lol

Last edited:
Same for me the last couple of days aswell, going to try the handbrake off method, as my discs are scord to f**k and were boiling by the time i got to work

Same for me the last couple of days aswell, going to try the handbrake off method, as my discs are scord to f**k and were boiling by the time i got to work

If you drove all the way to work with the rears locked I'd check you haven't flat-spotted your tyres.

He didn't drive to work with the rears locked, if he did then the brakes wouldn't have been hot.

Assume you had a frozen handbrake mechanism or something along those lines

The cold weather sucks, past couple of days the windows have frozen shut which is fine, i can live with that. Today however, I opened the passenger door to get some deicer out the footwell. Closed the door to a thud, the latch on the door refused to lock onto the car. After about 20 mins of messing about and spraying de-icer and poking it with a screw driver it just clicked shut and i havent opened it since. But no ideal. Afraid to let someone in the car now incase i cant get the door shut :worried:

If you drove all the way to work with the rears locked I'd check you haven't flat-spotted your tyres.

Nah lol took about half a mile for them to properly release but only about half a metre fully locked.

Its not nice changing gear and you car trying to stop lol

Well me seized flat spot tyres new contis then smashed into curb needs tracking nd a wheel REFURB on my r27 gutted pay that sort of money for a clio nd brakes seize one wheel is straight the other is bent out heart broken aint the word

Mines doing exactly the same for the last 3 mornings running. When mine are frozen I get the "check ABS" and "check ESP" warning lights on the dash. For the last two mornings, after around 1/4 mile the brakes have loosened up and the warning lights disappeared. This morning, the brakes loosened up again but the warning lights have remained on the dash.

Any ideas??

Thanks.