Windscreen Frozen INSIDE

CallorFold

Platinum Member
I don't know why, but this always seems to happen to me with every car I own!

Woke up this morning and the Clio was fairly icy on the inside of the windscreen...

I've got a PINGI dehumidifier pad in the car (basically a bag full of silica gel) which seems to have been working quite well.

What I can't work out is where all this moisture is coming from.... and enough of it to actually make the inside of the windscreen freeze.....

Anyone got any ideas?

- Note I did the drainage holes last year and couple of days ago after some heavy rain checked there was no standing water/water sloshing around the scuttle panel and all looked OK. Passenger and drivers foot well all seem dry enough. No other windows are getting frosty inside, just the front.

Where is the car parked, is each one you've had and experienced this issue been parked in the same place? My point is it might be related to the environment it is parked in. All cars will have a moisture content in the interior.

Car is parked on driveway over night (same place on the drive every day). Today is the first day it's had actual frost on the inside, presumably that's just because it was much colder last night though.

Mon-Thur I drive home from the gym with windows cracked open and heaters off to try and keep the inside cool to prevent condensation but it obviously doesn't seem to be helping much :worried:

Main worry is damp getting into the car, a little bit is obviously expected from shoes/wet clothes etc. if it's been raining, but certainly hope nothing is "leaking" in.

You'll be adding a load of moisture into the car if you're hot & sweaty from the gym. So it's probably that moisture that is freezing the inside of the screen.

Make sure you microwave them bag things when they get full of moisture! If it's full it won't be doing anything

Make sure you microwave them bag things when they get full of moisture! If it's full it won't be doing anything

Yeah the PINGI dehumidifier bag thing I have has a little coloured circle on it that indicates when it needs a good microwave :smile: will give it another blast I think to see if it helps.

Have you checked your scuttle panel.??

Yeah as per first post :smiley:

"- Note I did the drainage holes last year and couple of days ago after some heavy rain checked there was no standing water/water sloshing around the scuttle panel and all looked OK"

Tried forwards parking on my drive last night and seemed much better (think the bushes must give some protection from the wind so it wasn't quite as icy).

It's -6 here this morning in Bristol! Have you tried the overnight spray on the outside, worked well when I used it. If you can stop the outside freezing then the inside won't.

It's -6 here this morning in Bristol! Have you tried the overnight spray on the outside, worked well when I used it. If you can stop the outside freezing then the inside won't.

I think the inside will still freeze regardless of the outside (in sub zero conditions) providing there is moisture inside - you cant alter science :wink:

It's odd the Clio, even when I get to work, the outside of the car is still completely frozen, doesn't appear to have defrosted at all apart from the windows. Almost all other cars I see, the ice on the roof has melted etc. but I get to work (20min drive) and the car is just as frozen as when I left. I guess that means it's well insulated? It's always nice and toasty inside after getting a mile up the road :smiley:

It's like a magnet for frost. Got to the gym last night, an hour in the gym, came out and had to scrape my windscreen again as it had already started freezing! All other cars parked around me seemed perfectly fine, including 1 I parked next to that arrived before I did!

Sounds stupid but do you put a dog in the car?

I have a dog, but she's not been in the Clio :smile:

Dehumidifier pad I have seems to be working better again now after a quick microwave. Was only really after the 1 very cold night there was actual frost inside, a bit of condensation I can deal with :smile:

Sorry for the holy revival but why start another thread when there’s already one.

Anyone else having issues with condensation on the inside of the windscreen? Scuttle drains clear, mats dry etc. I assume there just isn’t enough airflow through these cars to stop it?

Yeah I get it too. The car is parked inside work at night until 5.30 when we move them outside for an hour or so and when I go out to it all the windows are fogged up. My AC is dead too so it takes ages to clear. I can't find any damp in the car at a all and last week drive with the heater on full heat just to make sure it wasn't damp but it still fogged up. My 182 never did this!

Reactions: DS197
I used to get it in my old Mondeo, I found a dehumidifier helped:

The coloured dots start off blue and when the bag has absorbed water from the air it turns pink. At that point you blast it in the microwave for 6 minutes to dry it back out and stick it back in the car.