ESP/ASR Question?

I know you can switch it off, and there must be a reason for it. But besides track days does it have any other advantage on the road? except for allowing you to spin it up bruv.

And the big question, does it turn the ABS off??? Cos driving in snow with abs is more dangerous than not having it i reckon.

some say turning it off stops the Kangarooing thing from cold.

I also notice that it makes the tyres make a squealing noise sometimes. :w00t:

Don't know about the ABS though I'd doubt it goes off with it?

it certainly stops mine kangerooing
i have heard if you press the button for 10 second it completly disables the ESP/ASR rather than partially when you press it just once, whether this disables the ABS i'm not certain.
as for why it has an off button i don't know as even on a track it's brilliant even giving it the beans it never cut in on me.Perhaps it is just for doing burn outs. :smile:

i dont think it cuts the abs off, i think it leaves a bigger area before the abs kicks in, if that makes sense?

It does stop kangerooing although apparently Renault did an upgrade on the ECU to stop this, although it was a waste of time.

It wont turn off the ABS, simple way is to slam the anchors on but it wouldnt allow the ABS to be turned off, something to do with european regs.

However, I dont tend to drive with my traction control on as it annoys me when it slips and slides on wet roads.

i have heard if you press the button for 10 second it completly disables the ESP/ASR rather than partially when you press it just once, whether this disables the ABS i'm not certain.
as for why it has an off button i don't know as even on a track it's brilliant even giving it the beans it never cut in on me.Perhaps it is just for doing burn outs. :smile:

I believe, according to the manual, it completely shuts down the ESP not just limits it.

Reason i asked about the ABS is because i know the 172 and 182 Cups dont have ABS, wondered why it didnt convert over to the 197 too.

when the press the ESP button it completely turns the ESP/ASR off. There were some rumours floating around implying when you press the button it doesn't truely turn it off. it does. Its doesn't turn the ABS off though, the only way to do that is pull the fuse I think.

IMO there is no point in turning it off for road use unless you wanna be a little silly :wink:
the ESP is a great safety device, particularly in the wet.

What advantage does it offer on track then?
the average driver wont get much difference with the system off imo. the ESP does help with understeer quite a lot. The one thing that does my head in with the ESP/TC is when you go over a slight bump and the TC senses a momentary loss of grip so cuts in when it doesn't really need to.

If you hold the ESP button for abouts 10 secs that only turns it of a little bit but if you hold it down for abouts 30 secs it fully takes it off and can only be turned back on is by switching the engine on and off.. Personally i like it off as i like a more natural drive but since i found out that they can monitor when you turn it off i decided just to leave it alone.

If you hold the ESP button for abouts 10 secs that only turns it of a little bit but if you hold it down for abouts 30 secs it fully takes it off and can only be turned back on is by switching the engine on and off.. Personally i like it off as i like a more natural drive but since i found out that they can monitor when you turn it off i decided just to leave it alone.

They can monitor it??

According to the manual its a simple on or off system, but i'll look into it.
Thats true, this question was asked on the RS forum and the technicians confirmed that the system is either on or off. This thing of holding the button for 30 seconds makes no difference to just clicking the button

Thats true, this question was asked on the RS forum and the technicians confirmed that the system is either on or off. This thing of holding the button for 30 seconds makes no difference to just clicking the button

As i suspected lol.

Anyone know what ASR stands for lol?

yeah one of my friends was plugging my car in to check what was up with it and it has when i last switched the ESP off..

i turn it off every time i drive it lol! stops me bouncing down the street when the engine is cold!