Disabling ESP/ASR - for track days?

Just bought a 2008 197 Clio Cup.

It has a switch to disable the ESP/ASR, but reading the owners manual it states:

"This function is reactivated automatically when a speed of 30mph/50kmh is reached". It goes on to say that "It is impossible to deselect this function when travelling above a threshold of approximately 30mph/50kmh".

In all my previous cars you could turn off traction control aids and they wouldn't get reactivated until you switched the ignition off, or stopped.

Is it possible to override this somehow, as I can imagine having ESP/ASR on all the time will dampen the track driving experience?

mine always stopped off when turning it off, have you tried it on yours

as above, ours didn't either, but it did reset once the car was switched off.

for those reading this that are going out to the ring, switch it off before you go out for a lap, the last thing you want is for it to be trying to cut in and restrict power once you've dropped in to the Carousell on the bumpy concrete sections.

as above, ours didn't either, but it did reset once the car was switched off.

for those reading this that are going out to the ring, switch it off before you go out for a lap, the last thing you want is for it to be trying to cut in and restrict power once you've dropped in to the Carousell on the bumpy concrete sections.

I done my laps with it on last year Kelv but I this year I'm thinking about doing a couple with it on to start then turning it off.

I've heard people say they feel like you can get more power out of corner with it off

I drive with mine off 90% of the time. It's horrid with it cutting in and jerking the car around.

Meg will 100% be in sport mode (always is) but dont think ill disable everything for the ring (holding sport button down) - yet to even try that on the roads :smiley:

But yeah same as above RE: clio - when i had mine, it never came back on

I done my laps with it on last year Kelv but I this year I'm thinking about doing a couple with it on to start then turning it off.

I've heard people say they feel like you can get more power out of corner with it off

I forgot on one lap out there last year, dropped in to the carousel and by the time I tried to come out of the other end it had almost reduced the car to walking pace, it was horrendous, it took me a moment to clock on what was happening.
I normally like to push hard through the carousel, so much so that it almost spits you out the far end and you can get airborn :smile:

Mine has never come back on. Is that in the Clio handbook or the Renaultsport one? If it's in the Clio book maybe its a reference to the 'standard' Clio?

i never use mine on the track

im definitely much quicker with it switched off as i can't trail brake as aggressively with it on

it doesn't switch itself back on either when off.

Ken when I turned it off at How Fast at Bedford I genuinlly thought every turn I was going to spin out.

It just seems to hold better with it on but I guess I should learn how to control it more without it on.

Ken when I turned it off at How Fast at Bedford I genuinlly thought every turn I was going to spin out.

It just seems to hold better with it on but I guess I should learn how to control it more without it on.

Note to self: don't hop in the car with Jack for a lap until hes got a bit more practice :wink:

thats the feeling you want from the car on the track. its the best way to get around understeer

one thing to remember is if the back end steps out on a FWD car, just floor it and it will then understeer and neutralise the slide.
the way i drive the car is basically trying to make it want to spin

if you trail brake heavily to the apex the car will want to rotate more. basically you provoke more oversteer than you think is required, but when you get back on the power the understeer will pull the car back on line

its basically steering with the brake pedal.

there are usually cones on the track - i try and aim for the apex cone and actually try and hit it - by the time your off the brakes and on the power you will miss it but aiming for it gets you to the apex better

Note to self: don't hop in the car with Jack for a lap until hes got a bit more practice :wink:

Haha you WILL be coming out with me and you WILL be showing me the best lines!

thats the feeling you want from the car on the track. its the best way to get around understeer

one thing to remember is if the back end steps out on a FWD car, just floor it and it will then understeer and neutralise the slide.
the way i drive the car is basically trying to make it want to spin

if you trail brake heavily to the apex the car will want to rotate more. basically you provoke more oversteer than you think is required, but when you get back on the power the understeer will pull the car back on line

its basically steering with the brake pedal.

there are usually cones on the track - i try and aim for the apex cone and actually try and hit it - by the time your off the brakes and on the power you will miss it but aiming for it gets you to the apex better

Right ok think I understand it but I suppose the best way to get it as actually do it :smile:

Haha you WILL be coming out with me and you WILL be showing me the best lines!

I may have my eyes shut :tongueout:

I live my life 10 minutes at a time, for those 10 minutes or less I may be in jacks passenger seat with my eyes closed.

Jack, remember to drop your tyre pressures too, I always run the back lower psi too, stops a lot of oversteer.

For example I run 29F 26-27R time heat gets in them they run a nice pressure then

I assume they are hot tyre pressures you refer to Gez?

I find that cold the 888's on the Trophy can be as low as 22F and 25R.
its worth checking the tyres the second you come in to gauge what they are doing when out on track.

I have got a couple of decent tyre pressure and tyre temp gauges if you need to borrow them.