Energy Saving lightbulbs

N0ddie

Platinum Member
Just want your opinion on these guys.

Been looking, this weekend, at replacing all the normal (relatively inefficient) light bulbs in our house with the view to saving some monies.

However, after looking today it would seem that they are very expensive. For a very efficient LED Phillips bulb your looking at almost £10 each.

So taking all the main bulbs into consideration we'll be £140 (14x£10) to replace all the main lights in the house.

Is it really a case of short term pain (The hard initial outlay) for long term gain (Smaller electricity bills)?

False economy I believe we have them in the kitchen and god knows how many times we changed them and the ones in the bathroom

In reality you should see quite a saving. Halogens in particular are uber inefficient. We have 6 in the kitchen (Those lights are on the most as Emma's in there quite a lot. Being a woman she knows her place:rofl:smile: so thats 360W (6x60W) to run them.

We replaced them today with Phillips LEDs with a wattage of 4W so that's quite a lot less power being used. 24W (6x4W) instead of 360W.

I just dont know how long it'd take to recuperate the initial outlay from smaller electricity bills.

you can get energy saving bulbs 4 for a £1 is supermarkets . .

What supermarket you seen them for that?

Our local ASDA and Tesco are £10 (Roughly for LED type).

Yes you can get normal energy saving bulbs for slightly cheaper but nowhere near £1.

My first energy saving bulb went today after 6 years! That was a Phillips one. Cost me £3 for a new one.

Money well spent IMO.

No not led , why the need for led ? we have them in the kitchen b and q 3 for £10

I've had energy efficient bulbs in my place for about 4 years and going strong.

I think they're a good buy.

What you really want is Solar Panels.

We only pay for about 10% of our electricity from March - September and about 40% through the winter. :wink:

What you really want is Solar Panels.

We only pay for about 10% of our electricity from March - September and about 40% through the winter. :wink:

Yeah, but the initial outlay for those is even more than for a pesky little bulb lol.

Your talking a couple of grand. Its also only worth it, I imagine, if you dont plan on moving house?

We also have an issue in that our roof slopes to the east at the back and the west at the front. Meaning we'd need panels on the back slope (For when the sun rises) and the front (for when the sun sets).

6 energy saving bulbs in our place, and 12 halogen ones.

Been here 5 years and only ever replaced one bulb!! Get 8 of them in the cupboard we got free from British Gas lol!!!

Yeah they're not cheap. We have 8 panels on the back (South) and it cost ~£5,000. Luckily the landlord footed the bill!!! :smiley:

Have you tried eBay? I wanted some bulbs ad at Tesco they were £10 for 4. eBay I bought 10 for about £3. Huge saving.

£5k! Fudge me lol.

Our bill isnt that much (£74 a month for gas and electricity). I'd just like to see how far I can get it down.

Gonna try other ways of saving on the bill also. Turn stuff off properly as opposed to "sleeping" stuff.

Realistically, the only thing that cant be turned off is the Sky box. Takes a fit whenever its unplugged for cleaning lol.

Sounds a lot, but you get a Feed Fee which is around £140/Month from the National Grid.

So when you consider that's around £1500 in your back pocket every year plus the savings on your bills then they'll break even within a few years.

£5k! Fudge me lol.

Our bill isnt that much (£74 a month for gas and electricity). I'd just like to see how far I can get it down.

Gonna try other ways of saving on the bill also. Turn stuff off properly as opposed to "sleeping" stuff.

Realistically, the only thing that cant be turned off is the Sky box. Takes a fit whenever its unplugged for cleaning lol.

Hi bud,

they really do make a difference.

1 "normal" light bulb equates to around 3 energy efficient ones in terms of usage.