Weight Saving Ideas

A big discussion on other forums but no one really has talked much on here about saving weight. I guess what I'm trying to say is there anyone on here who has gone down this route and weighed different parts I.e the wheels, seats battery etc? Would be interesting to know some of the figures.. I myself wouldn't be taking the seats out as I need them but mabye for a track day etc I might...

If you have a look at Simo and Rene's (Raptor) progress threads they have detailed a lot of their weight savings.

Simo's: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160

Rene's: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29

I reckon the easiest things to "lighten" are:

- Exhaust (The Akrapovic we have is a lot of Kgs lighter than the standard badboy).
- Wheels (I found the Speedlines to be noticably lighter than the 197 Raider type wheels. But then, the OZ Ultraleggeras are lighter again).
- Seats (The Recaros are very heavy for what they are. Recao pole positions are considerably lighter, but are fixed so means difficult to get into the back. Then theres the back seats, if you dont use 'em loose 'em.
- Battery (Something like a Varley Redtop would be a good much lighter replacement for the mahoosive OEM one).

A big discussion on other forums but no one really has talked much on here about saving weight. I guess what I'm trying to say is there anyone on here who has gone down this route and weighed different parts I.e the wheels, seats battery etc? Would be interesting to know some of the figures.. I myself wouldn't be taking the seats out as I need them but mabye for a track day etc I might...

Haven't done this with the 197/200 but have with 106 Rallye's.

I personally think there are 2 categories of weight saving:
1) replacing existing parts for lightweight parts (as mentioned above)
2) Stripping the whole care bare of any essentials (pretty extreme)

I could go on all day so drop me a PM if you want more info. The only think I can't say for the 197/200 is weights of items.

Yes - it makes a massive difference. Amazes me how many people spend a fortune tuning a car when one of the easiest things to do (if you can live with it) is strip it out...obviously not every ones cup of tea.

Would be nice to know the weight of everything you can lose, remember reading a thread on renaultsport about a guys twingo and he saved a lot of weight off of his twingo, he also put the weights of everything he got rid of to take it of the estimated weight of his car, free power lol!

....this is all very well for the dedicated enthusiast, as long as he doesn't like pies and beer...at the last track day I went to, there was an Audi TT in the pit lane that had been stripped out and was probably considerably lighter than a standard car.....trouble is, the guy who got in it was considerably heavier than the average enthusiast (probably about 18 stone, 6ft 5 and a prop forward)....seemed the point had been lost at that moment!

Ha I remember the guy on the twingo forum who did this, weighed everything, I think its a really over looked item and let's face it its cheap as chips!

Yes - it makes a massive difference. Amazes me how many people spend a fortune tuning a car when one of the easiest things to do (if you can live with it) is strip it out...obviously not every ones cup of tea.

So very true!

I've done this with my 172 Cup.

It's down to the bare metal inside, various non-essential items removed (airbags, carbon canister, power steering), and driver's seat swapped for a 7kg bucket + harness.

Total net weight saved for me was 117kgs...which pputs its bhp/ton up to 205...or about the same as a standard Focus RS.

For free :smiley:

Bargain! If I was a few years younger with no family plans I would have it naked in the back with a couple of bride buckets mmmmm

here you go

Auspuff (exhaust)
Serien Auspuffanlage ab Kat 20,0Kg
Friedrich Komplettanlage ab Kat 20,5kg (inkl. Schellen)
K-Tec Komplettanlage ab Kat 17,0kg (inkl. Schellen) - (ESD 9,2Kg, MSD 4,6Kg), Achsrohr 2,0Kg)
Akrapovic Komplettanlage ab Krümmer 14,0kg (inkl. Schellen) - (Achsrohr 1,0Kg)
RC-Racing Gruppe N Endschalldämpfer (7,6Kg)
Mittelschalldämpferersatzrohr (2,3Kg)
Bastuck Komplettanlage mit ABE 18kg (inkl. Schellen) - (ESD 13Kg, MSD 5Kg) mit Ersatzrohr 17Kg

Bremse (brake)
Bremsscheiben Brembo Serie 8,2Kg (je Scheibe)
Bremsscheiben Brembo High Carbon 8,0Kg (je Scheibe)
Bremsscheiben Brembo Turismo Kit 2-teilig 7,0Kg (je Scheibe)
Serienbremsbeläge Satz 1,8kg

Felgen: 7,5x17 wheels
Renault Sport 10,1Kg
Renault Speedline 10,1Kg
Renault Cup 9,1Kg
Renault Silverstone 10,7Kg

Platin 8x17 8,9Kg
Sparco Assetto Gara 7,5x17 8,6Kg
ATS GTR 8x17 8,5Kg
Motec TA-082 8,0x17 8,3Kg
Team Dynamics Race 7,5x17 8,1Kg
OZ Ultraleggera 8,0x17 7,74Kg
OZ Allergerita 8,0x17 6,98Kg

Motec Nitro 8,0x18 8,9Kg
OZ Ultraleggera 8,0x18 8,0Kg
OZ Allergerita 8,0x18 7,72Kg

Fahrwerk: suspension

Cup Fahrwerk (für neues Chassis) OHNE DOMLAGER im KW Karton - 22,6kg
KW Clubsport (für altes Chassis) MIT UNIBALL DOMLAGER im KW Karton - 20,9kg

Innenraum: interior
Rücksitzbank+Lehne incl. Hutablage 19,5Kg backseats
Türverkleidung vorne Serie - ohne Lautsprecher: 3,7Kg doorboards oem
Türverkleidung vorne Carbon - aus Forumsshop: 1,4Kg doorboards carbon front
Türverkleidung hinten Carbon - aus Forumsshop: 0,4Kg

Teermatten 2,5Kg

Recaro Pole Position 7,0Kg + Konsole
Recaro Sportster CS 14,2Kg + Konsole

Reactions: Salvi139
So very true!

It's down to the bare metal inside, various non-essential items removed (airbags, carbon canister, power steering), and driver's seat swapped for a 7kg bucket + harness.

Total net weight saved for me was 117kgs...which pputs its bhp/ton up to 205...or about the same as a standard Focus RS.

Nice one! - you did well to loose so much when there isn't that much left to strip on the cup in the first place (no air con etc).

Glass for polycarbonate etc is also a good one, and as someone mentioned early - if you are 18 stone a diet is a good one. lol

When my insurance goes down in a year or two and I buy a second car, I will no doubt strip out the 197 to it's dash and front seats.

The Mark 3 clios are so heavy it's unreal. They weigh more than a Civic Type R and look much smaller!

If you want to save extreme amounts of weight, I've heard of people drilling holes in their boot interior metal?.......

Another thing I plan on getting when I strip it out (or before maybe :wink: ) is a carbon fibre diffuser. That saves 3-4KG.

So very true!

That's awesome man! That tempts me so hard!

God what have I started! Get the drill out, clios leaking like a siv up and down the country but light as hell! I'm going to strip out for summer events me thinks

For info this is how my Cup currently stands...it's not for the faint hearted, and as a daily drive...forget it LOL

100_4478.jpg

looking good mate - do you need the passenger seat?
I think you do for the MOT - unless you remove the passenger seat belt. I'm not 100% on that, it is just something I once heard.

If I were you, I would put a racing seat for the passenger too. It looks a bit odd like that man. Also, it seems a bit pointless stripping it out to leave a big heavy passenger seat there…

Did think about changing the passenger...but so long as I'm strapped in tightly that's what matters.

Plus, in a standard chair (which are pretty useless) and with a standard belt, it makes rides out on track a bit more interesting/challenging for the passengers he he he.

Reactions: Roland rat