"Don't buy a Renault" They told me.....

expensive. The part is £466. Not sure anyone could justify more than £200 for fitting.

It cost me £600 on mates rates-

£390 for the part & £200 + beer for fitting IIRC.

was gutted at that TBH

your price is good however I suspect you wont find many people wanting to do it for that!

S

Another steering rack bites the dust...............

S

I still cant get them to agree that mine doesnt drive right and the steering is heavier than if there wasnt powersteering atall. Pulling my hair out!

Get onto RUK lad, they are usually pretty good, especially with problems they know are common

I don't think I should be expected to pay anything on a car I've owned for two weeks.

I know what you're saying and I agree, but there is a certain risk associated with buying a used car.

But that's what the warranty takes care of! I can't think of one logical reason that a gearbox is not covered under warranty. If the gearbox is excluded, sounds like the whole thing isn't worth a w**k. :chair:

I think you'll get it sorted, you've got a strong case with not having the car long and the low mileage of the car.

Just keep the pressure on them! Phone at least once every day for an update, and if they don't have an update, ask why!

And remember to keep copies of letters sent and the responses you receive so you can provide them to Trading Standards if requested.

95% my friends do not recommend renault. When i bought 197 after 6 beemers they think i am crazy. All moanings that will fall apart and all electrics will fault. And final thing that Finnish arctic winter is too much for french cars. Okay just today was -20c and not any problems and enough warm air in the cabin too.
Mm. 1,5 years later there has been 2 issues with cruise control and that was fixed with simply stopping engine and starting again. In the same time they read once a week fault codes from vag cars.
I am pretty pleased with my 197.

its makes me laugh, you have a few problems with a renault or something french and its like "IT WILL BE MY LAST RENAULT". Yet if was a german car or jap car, it would be the other way round and its just a bad apple or its the dealers fault i will get another one. just because youve brought a bad apple doesnt mean all renaults/french cars are unreliable, im on my third renaultsport, fifth french car, never had a single major issue with them, on the other hand most people i know that brough german cars have had nothing but trouble with them

its makes me laugh, you have a few problems with a renault or something french and its like "IT WILL BE MY LAST RENAULT". Yet if was a german car or jap car, it would be the other way round and its just a bad apple or its the dealers fault i will get another one. just because youve brought a bad apple doesnt mean all renaults/french cars are unreliable, im on my third renaultsport, fifth french car, never had a single major issue with them, on the other hand most people i know that brough german cars have had nothing but trouble with them

But those BMW i had, were great and realiable. Maybe 2-3 little faults in 8 years. (2x E36 328i coupe, E46 325i Facelift / E46 328coupe / E34 535i. I dont afraid to buy another beemer.

Maybe i am kind of person who treats cars so well and overservice so they wont fall apart? =D

Where are you bringing your cars from mate? Im interested.

I feel your pain.

I'm currently in the process of handing back a 197. Let me know how you get on...

Can I ask why you're handing it back? And Has it all been finalised that you're giving it back or are you trying to?

I still don't understand why your 12 month warranty doesn't cover the gearbox?

Neither do I. I've been told that the used car warranty does not cover it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not deluded and think german and jap cars don't have issues, becuase they do. VW aren't even that reliable nowadays, and if I had got a cooper S or Corsa VXR I'd have had problems too most likely wheel bearings, a/c or piston number 4 melting lol.

Every manufacturer has problems that's a fact, but it's how a company deals with those problems.

I know what you're saying and I agree, but there is a certain risk associated with buying a used car.

I agree, it's not that I think cars shouldn't go wrong. I could have bought a brand new car and still not been guaranteed to not have issues, some new cars have lots of issues.

I just don't think after two weeks buying a used car that I should be expected to pay for something that is not wear and tear or that I have caused.

It would be different if it was ten months and I had done 15k miles and then tried getting a clutch under warranty.

It's been confirmed now (just after 9am) though that I won't get a contribution as it's out of manufacturers warranty so I'm liable to pay.

I'm going to call consumer direct and see where I stand now.

Hopefully people can understand why on this principle I will NEVER buy another renault, not because a car has problems, but because I've been treated like a mug.

If I fight it Renault may well contribute, but I shouldn't have to.

Anyway it looks like it's me vs the franchised dealer now....

Last edited:
Well consumer direct or rather Citizens Advice consumer service were absolutely useless.

Basically as far as warranty is concerned "If it's not covered then it's not covered" was what I was told, my only option is as it's a hp is contacting the finance again in writing and quoting the suppliers goods implied terms act 1973.

Apparently as the finance company technically own the vehicle then it's them I should be dealing with.

This is such bull****.

Oh well I'll use this template and send it to the finance company http://www.tswarrington.co.uk/pdf/supportpack/49.pdf

Last edited:
I'd want it in writing from the franchise as to why the gearbox is excluded from the Warranty they have supplied, as others have said its not a serviceable item and should last the lifetime of the car (ha!). I'm also surprised that Renault have mugged you off only a month out of Warranty after buying the car from one of their franchised dealers. It seems like they're hoping that the dealer will pay for the repairs and save them some money.

I'd put a post up on the Renaultsport.co.uk forum listing (not ranting) your problems. TBH the way they seem to be treating you is pretty disgusting.

Also I'd say that a car that doesn't drive is NOT fit for purpose regardless of Warranty, age etc etc. If its knackered a couple of weeks after picking it up you should be able to take it back as not fit.

The thing is my car has warranty.

What the dealer is saying is that the 12 months used car warranty they provided won't cover it so if Renault don't cover it as a good will gesture due to the manufacture warranty running out last month then I have to pay.

That is why I'm so annoyed and don't want to have the car back, I don't think it's right that if renault don't cover it the dealer will simply do nothing and expect me to pay.

And if renault tell me they'll contribute something and ask me to pay the rest when it should be the dealer paying they can **** right off.

weres the warranty terms and conditions?

it cannot be a warranty if it doesnt cover things can it?

park it outside the dealership with a big f-ing sign stating they are useless!!!!

after 2 weeks and it breaks the gearbox....hand it back/reject it

weres the warranty terms and conditions?

it cannot be a warranty if it doesnt cover things can it?

park it outside the dealership with a big f-ing sign stating they are useless!!!!

after 2 weeks and it breaks the gearbox....hand it back/reject it

Dealership currently has the car, I've got their twingo courtesy car.

I'm going there soon with the paperwork and the second key card and they can do what they like with the car, I'll cancel the direct debit payments to the finance too.

I know that I'll be shooting myself in the foot as it will affect my credit and will likely lead to a default but I'm so ****ed off with this. I'll tell the finance company I'll make a payment when they can supply me with a car that is fit for purpose and can actually change gear.

With regards to warranty I don't actually have any paperwork that outlines what is excluded and included but I'll ask them for this later so they can show me in black and white that gearbox is excluded in the warranty.

Last edited:
Dealership currently has the car, I've got their twingo courtesy car.

I'm going there soon with the paperwork and the second key card and they can do what they like with the car.

I'm so ****ed off with this.

With regards to warranty I don't actually have any paperwork that outlines what is excluded and included.

well they have fallen down on the sale then as this should be supplied at point of sale - i cannot see a warranty "excluding" a gearbox - most will be major components warranties ie engine / gearbox / diff / steering rack/box covered as long as its serviced as per manufacturers recommendations

Every manufacturer has problems that's a fact, but it's how a company deals with those problems.

Can you clarify what your gripe is???

Correct me if i'm wrong but your car broke down 24hrs ish ago.

In 24 hours you have had the car diagnosed (at no cost?) and been told the additional warranty that came with it (car is outside warranty) doesn't cover you.

RUK are aware and making a decision and getting back to you after you contacted them yesterday evening.

Whilst i understand you bought a second hand car that has broke down would it not be reasonable to give them time to come back to you?

Don't take this the wrong way but you bought a car out of warranty so why would expect then to fix it for free?

Where you hoping they would fly in mechanics from france on a private jet with gearbox and rack? perhaps they could have got you a farrari to pootle about in for the time they were working on it for? after all i'm sure a German or Jap company would have done that for you wouldn't they...........................

Can you clarify what your gripe is???

Correct me if i'm wrong but your car broke down 24hrs ish ago.

In 24 hours you have had the car diagnosed (at no cost?) and been told the additional warranty that came with it (car is outside warranty) doesn't cover you.

RUK are aware and making a decision and getting back to you after you contacted them yesterday evening.

Guessing by his comment at 9:30 this morning, RUK have refused to pay. Maybe they couldn't afford the chartered jet. :glare:

Guessing by his comment at 9:30 this morning, RUK have refused to pay. Maybe they couldn't afford the chartered jet. :glare:

Ha, ha cheers Robo I missed it.

I'd be reading the small print of the 2nd hand warranty again and not taking their word for it. I would have thought most franchise dealers would offer a 3 month mechanical warranty.

I'd call RUK again and push it and expect to have to with it being out side manufacture warranty.

Who is the franchise?