Which is the best Track for a novice

Bedford - simply because of the run of but its booooring

My first was Cadwell i loved it some say its a little tight in places but i think its perfect

I here Bedford is the best for 1st timers. Not done it myself but what I've heard.

I think Bedford would be my 1st attempt at a track day. As said, nothing to hit and plenty of run-off.

I think you would have to be going some or driving well beyond limits to go of on a first track day.

Normally offs are because of overdriving due to a number of reasons ( which probally is not going to happen on first day due to nervs etc )

so in retro spect i gues your local track would be the best idea.

Might be worth considering going on a novice only day to start with or passenger rides in a 200 or 197 to see what it feels like on the limit so you can gauge how fast it can go around specific corners etc

I think you would have to be going some or driving well beyond limits to go of on a first track day.

Normally offs are because of overdriving due to a number of reasons ( which probally is not going to happen on first day due to nervs etc )

so in retro spect i gues your local track would be the best idea.

Might be worth considering going on a novice only day to start with or passenger rides in a 200 or 197 to see what it feels like on the limit so you can gauge how fast it can go around specific corners etc

At Silverstone last year we had a nearly brand new 200 go into the pit wall (Old complex) thus writing the car off. First ever trackday

Guy was clearly gutted but think he was just caught out with the weather and lift off oversteer.

This is just the thing , gotta take it easy first of allo i gues.

Im a little aprehensive about cadwell in feb first TD with the clio :smile:

Bedford is great fun. I had a great laugh there on my last track day. Make sure you are doing the full circuit though.

My 1st ever trackday on a bike was at cadwell. Just go steady and you'll be fine, there will always someone faster than you

Brands & Castle combe & nearly forgot bedford autodrome

Look up MSV trackdays they seem to cover pretty much all UK circuits

Bedford autodrome all day long for novices, but don't be tempted by any of these 'novice' sessions, time out on track is short and everyone else is just plain dangerous. On a normal day the seasoned track day goers will avoid you and overtake safely much more positively.

Brands is a great track to drive but the gravel traps are long and deep, personally I wouldn't choose to learn the ropes there, maybe wait for my 2nd outing.

Sounds good to me Roy, only gotta get a helmet, and fit my braided lines plus new brakes and i'm ready :smile:

Another vote for Bedford here.

I'd discount Brands as there's a few too many points where gradients and camber come into play, and Combe has places where there's absolutely bugger all run-off.

These things are what make Bedford a good first outing. No gradients or camber whatsoever so no corners are blind, as a novice you can work on feeling what the car is doing and building up your confidence slowly, rather than trying to grow a huge pair so you can properly commit to a corner like Paddock at Brands.

Regarding people putting it off on their first day...seen it happen many times myself. Common sense goes out the window with so many people...they truly believe they have nothing to learn and are convinced they're going to break lap records...yet the limit of their experience is blasting up and down the DC outside McDs.

I'm just going to take it easy and try to be as smooth as I can and learn the track, don't care about how fast I can go, as I suppose you get quicker when you learn the track and learn the true track feel of your car, as I'd imagine track days are completely different to a b road blast, no way am i going to go on a mad one, as I am too worried about binning my car lol!

Actually, if you approach the day as though each session IS a blast along your favourite B-road you'll do well.

No speed cameras, no oncoming traffic, no police, no trees/ditches lining the road, and everyone (in theory) is focussed on driving instead of drinking coffee/texting/getting to their meeting.

That's all you're doing really, enjoying driving your car on a great stretch of road, with none of the usual risks or distractions.