Which is the best Track for a novice

My first ever time on a track was the Nürburgring. Enough to put anyone off for life, on what was the busiest day I have ever seen there. Really put me off.

Then I did a trackday at Brands, was good, and restored my confidence lol

Go somewhere you want to go and drive around, I did Oulton in the wet but enjoyed it because I thought I'd never drive a car around it and then I did.

You can crash at any track if you have a lack of self control.

Point about idiots on track, that seems to be a recent thing I started going to tracks back in 04/05 and there was a real camaraderie between drivers experienced drivers not only keep clear of novices but when you were in pits some guys would even come over and point out things you were doing wrong and give advice on car setup.

Now there can be some real idiots just trying drift on track and not caring who they scoop up

Not wanting to sound negative but is.nt the track surface at bedford quite abrasive?

i really enjoyed the new Snetterton circuit however i do agree with Brands or Bedford

Yes Bedford is quite abrasive

abrasive is good for traction keeps you & car on the track, all tracks I've been on seem the same. Always worth having a separate set of rubber for the track, keep your street rubber for the street.

Point about idiots on track, that seems to be a recent thing I started going to tracks back in 04/05 and there was a real camaraderie between drivers experienced drivers not only keep clear of novices but when you were in pits some guys would even come over and point out things you were doing wrong and give advice on car setup.

Now there can be some real idiots just trying drift on track and not caring who they scoop up

I've not seen that myself but there's plenty of camaraderie left, I've met so many nice people at TD's. It's one of the few situations where you don't feel weird walking up to people and asking them about their car and visa versa.

There's none of the typical badge snobbery either I find when you're at just general car shows (thinking of TRAX and the like) it's just people who love their cars.

I've not seen that myself but there's plenty of camaraderie left, I've met so many nice people at TD's. It's one of the few situations where you don't feel weird walking up to people and asking them about their car and visa versa.

There's none of the typical badge snobbery either I find when you're at just general car shows (thinking of TRAX and the like) it's just people who love their cars.

What tracks you go to? Would be good later in year to do a group track day.

As badge snobbery sums it nicely as it's usually BMW owners they can't stand being behind you so they blast past to then screw up the next corner coz all they want to then do is drift, really annoyed me as ruined my time on the track.

Anywhere with loads of run off and good tuition on hand. In a word, Bedford.

My first was Oulton Park, in torrential rain. Nothing like jumping in at the deep end. :smiley:

What tracks you go to? Would be good later in year to do a group track day.

As badge snobbery sums it nicely as it's usually BMW owners they can't stand being behind you so they blast past to then screw up the next corner coz all they want to then do is drift, really annoyed me as ruined my time on the track.

Oulton and Cadwell are the only places I've been so far, Cadwell I've been a number of times and always ended up chatting to people. Had a laugh with a guy in an Evo when I let him know his car looked like a flame thrower having blown an intercooler hose off! Even had complements from Porkers and Ford drvier, something you'd never get outside of a TD.

The only people I've actually had issue with were people who flat out refused to wave you by (you can see them frowning at the fact you caught them in their mirror), I've just pitted and had a breather or done a couple of coasting laps to lose sight of them though people like that are pretty rare.

Obviously won't be me driving but I plan on paying for my son to do it so he can experience it in his trophy rather than a super car he never going to own

brans would be a no go for me to many changes in landscape and gradiants.

Also some big gravel traps to catch him out also lift of oversteer down padock hill could see it all end in tears.. . . if its just for your lad to get a feel then jsut go the local track ( what is the local track ? )

The only people I've actually had issue with were people who flat out refused to wave you by (you can see them frowning at the fact you caught them in their mirror), I've just pitted and had a breather or done a couple of coasting laps to lose sight of them though people like that are pretty rare.

This is so frustrating on track, and its definitely worth slowing down for a couple of laps or pitting (if its an OPL). Some people seem to think they are racing, and just cause they can outdrag you on a straight, that they have a right to be in front. When you are literally rear ending them on every corner.

brans would be a no go for me to many changes in landscape and gradiants.

Also some big gravel traps to catch him out also lift of oversteer down padock hill could see it all end in tears.. . . if its just for your lad to get a feel then jsut go the local track ( what is the local track ? )

Suppose it would be bedford

Where's Wordsley in relation to Donnington Roy? It's a track I fancy doing and there looks to be a fair bit of run-off there.

Last edited:
Roy if you book your son up I will come along, so at least me and your son will be total noobs lol!

Also just to add might be worth waiting for Renault to release there trackdays for this year as they are quite reasonably priced and tuition is cheap?

Also just to add might be worth waiting for Renault to release there trackdays for this year as they are quite reasonably priced and tuition is cheap?

That's what I was thinking Luke and want to try and do it when the weather picks up + you never know I might have a reply off disability people giving the go ahead for the duck clutch