track slagging the 205 GTI

As some may know i have been working on a 205 gti project car over the past 6 months, trying to restore it to former glory, details of which can be found here:

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10918

Anyway time is getting on and as is life funds seem to be getting smaller each month to spend on it, atm the project is a complete halt. I happened to see a few 205 GTIs at USC this weekend that were stripped and caged, didnt look too shabby. I know its ruining a classic but the cars mechanically perfect now the engines rebuilt, however interior is non existant and the exterior isnt presentable.

I want to strip, cage and bucket seat it. Then use it on weekends for track days with me and the misses, that way if we stuff it then not the end of the world ( always so nervous with the 197 ). She wants to build to an OEM show car condition.

Verdicts please? whats the best way to proceed?

I would keep on with the original restoration tbh mate. There's nothing like standing back and admiring at the end of a good job.

I would imagine cars like the 205 GTi will be few and far between in original spec/condition soon enough.

My mate is doing the exact same thing but he is starting with a bare shell, cage, mi16 engine i think plus all the bits and bobs

Strip it and have your fun, at the end of the day for all the effort you've put in so long as you don't completely stuff it on track it could always be restored later. I completely sympathise with not wanting to take the clio on track, scares the hell out of me in mine :smiley: