The Definitive Rivals Thread...

Would be interesting to see a bhp/ton figure too :smile:

Interesting read though, not much out there that beats the 197/200 in all figures

I did think about adding them in, I've got them all on here. I'll add them if people want?

A mate of mine has a Punto 1.4 T-Jet, don't be fooled by the claimed 8.9 dash, it's quicker than that. Very good car IMO and underrated. My 197 struggled to get past it in a straight line.

There are loads of cars out there that will surprise the 197/200 in a straight line. Was coming out of dartford toll booths earlier and there was a BMW 3 series next to me, couldn't pull away from him and not wanting to be silly I pulled out.......it was a 320d!!! But, looking up the figures its about 7 seconds to 60

A mate of mine has a Punto 1.4 T-Jet, don't be fooled by the claimed 8.9 dash, it's quicker than that. Very good car IMO and underrated.

They're easy to modify as well and cheap to insure. All in all they're a damn good car to be fair as they handly nicely too.

I tested my old Corsa VXR's 0-60 and it was also marginally quicker than the manufacturer stated time.

Also had a play with a 197 when I had the VXR, raped the poor guy lol. I did have an aftermarket exhaust and remap though lol.

0-60 times are so close now-a-days, its hard to pull away from most modern cars around 180+ brake (especially sporty derv's)....Landscape was different in 2006 and the 200 in essence (old argument I know) isnt a car length different to 197. To keep the clio 'true' with its modern day rivals, it needs a turbo. If I was to keep it (and if it keeps raping me for fuel, I wont be), would have to go down the meg engine route. Remember, not all clios were created equal and there are some only making 165-170bhp and a lot less power than Wills figures.

Lets be honest, we all like at times the need to defend the honour of the clio. Must admit though (without corners and track days) its not easy. In fact the clio is falling behind a little.....

Last edited:
They're easy to modify as well and cheap to insure. All in all they're a damn good car to be fair as they handly nicely too.

You're not wrong, group 6 insurance. Nice alloys and with a few bits here and there they're quick. He hasn't had any issues with it either and the fuel consumption is truly astonishing!

Added;

Clio R3 Rally Car

Clio Cup Race Car

Citroen DS3 1.6THP

Citroen DS3 Racing

Power To Weight Figures

Last edited:
Clio cup 200 actually weighs 1204kg 36kg lighter than a ff. Or go on fastestlaps.com would have saved you a heap of time lol

I weighed my 197 cup at mallory on saturday, 1280kgs with half a tank of fuel.

How heavy is half a tank of petrol? the only other things in the car were my helmet, gloves and boots and a litre of oil, o and a pair of small speakers for the doors, still boxed.

Thats like 60kg over what it should be.

1KG per Litre is the general rule of thumb for petrol.

Half a tank will be about 30-35KG...

I completely agree James. That's part of the point of it really, the Clio routinely comes top in reviews but on paper it's nowhere near top of the page when it comes to the ''numbers'' and is one of the heaviest as well. Unfortunately laptimes are a hard one on a list like this unless they've all been set by the same driver in similar weather conditions etc. then they don't really mean much.

I know what you mean about the Rallye, I had an S1 with a GTi lump among other goodies as my first car. :thumbup:

Great stuff mate. :jase2:

Get your car weighted somewhere else.

They were'nt electronic ones but old school ones that mallory use and had been calibrated about a month ago.

Used the same ones on my alfa last year and were close to what it was when i had the car weighed after electronically.

This might sound like a stupid question, but is there any one area on the Clio that makes it so heavy? I can only think it's safety equipment to give it 5 euro ncap stars.