Definitive cup guide

Is there a guide to what makes a 197 cup a cup? I no springs and caliper colour etc but anyone can change that. is it on you're log book?

The cup version of the 197 and 200 has the basic interior and black plastic trim down the side as well as the other bits you get with the cup pack that can also be specced on a normal model. The buyers guide explains all this.

The easiest way to tell if it's a cup against anything else is 'does it have a proper key?'

Cups had a key, anything else has a key card, full fats, full fats with a cup pack etc.

The central pillars are colour matched, matt black wing mirrors, cup logo on central pillars, it's on my log book too - or type in the reg on an insurance quote / webuyanycar / aa / race website and see what details come up for it. I've got one, any questions - do ask.

yep - the key too
and maybe no air con

Reactions: ///M
The central pillars are colour matched, matt black wing mirrors, cup logo on central pillars, it's on my log book too - or type in the reg on an insurance quote / webuyanycar / aa / race website and see what details come up for it. I've got one, any questions - do ask.

yep - the key too
and maybe no air con

Aircon was an extra, mines a cup but has aircon :smile:

It doesn't work... but it's there :tearsofjoy:

The easiest way to tell if it's a cup against anything else is 'does it have a proper key?'

Cups had a key, anything else has a key card, full fats, full fats with a cup pack etc.

Left hand drive versions do have normal key, even full fat versions. I have had 2 Clio 197 full fat both with normal keys.

Left hand drive versions do have normal key, even full fat versions. I have had 2 Clio 197 full fat both with normal keys.
I have a RHD non cup with a key. Always wondered why I didn't have a card cos it's defo not a cup model

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

If it is a 197 Cup there will be a decal inside the drivers door jamb stating that its a Cup.

As others above have said, there are lots of tell-tale signs, such as:

Cups have...

A key instead of keycard (although some non-Cups also have keys)

They don't have 1-touch electric windows

Basic radio

Old-fashioned rotary knobs for heater/fan etc

Black plastic door/side strips rather than body coloured

Manually-adjustable door mirrors, not electric

Red Brembo calipers

and other things... but some of this (such as red painted Brembo's) can be easily copied by owners to make their cars appear like Cups.

The factory decal is the killer. It it doesn't say its a Cup, it aint a Cup.

I can take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it up if you want..

Cups also have different interior door cards with door grabs in the armrest part

Reactions: suj
Cups also have different interior door cards with door grabs in the armrest part

Now why the hell would they remove these on the non cups? Number of times I've had to quickly reach outside the door to stop it hitting into the car next to me cos of the handles being too far forward....

*sigh* Viva la France

Reactions: suj and DS197
Now why the hell would they remove these on the non cups? Number of times I've had to quickly reach outside the door to stop it hitting into the car next to me cos of the handles being too far forward....

*sigh* Viva la France
My thoughts exactly! When passengers ask me why it's so hard to close the door, simply saying "because french" suffices