Steves Megane conversion build - She's finally running (VIDEO inside)

Great update mate, this has to be the best engine build in here by far and by best I don't necessarily mean most powerful. Well done mate, keep it going:smile:

Great update mate, this has to be the best engine build in here by far and by best I don't necessarily mean most powerful. Well done mate, keep it going:smile:

Cheers mate! The main thing on this build is reliability rather than peak power, I want to be able to drive it without always worrying. My ideal power with the new turbo will be around 350, that will be plenty IMO

UPDATE:

Not any photos this time Im afraid but thought Id keep this updated none the less.

The engine build has taken a back foot in the past month. Im still mastering getting the turbo housing machined, small tweaks to the tool were made.

In the mean while Ive been sorting out my nans garage which has a lot of wood working machines in and odds and ends, once it is sorted however it will be the ideal place to transplant the engine into my clio, there is a pit and everything. Im nearly there and should be sorted soon. Next month Ill order all the bits for to finish my engine, pistons, clutch etc.

Differing from many peoples Meg'd clios, I will be using my clio box simply because I love how short it is and it will improve acceleration. The problem is however, many of us know that the box is made of cheese and has problems even at a clio's low torque levels, when you add 200 ft ib it could cause problems. Ive got a donour box in the meanwhile and will be stripping it down to the bear running gear, this will then be sent out for cryogenic freezing and shot peening to improve strength and reduce fatique stress by up to 40%. The box will then be sent out to be rebuilt with the newer style synchros and to fit a quaife atb diff. Running this box will also mean I can use the CAE short shifter, looks a great bit of kit!

Nice, but £800 on the CAE.... I mean sure it looks pretty BA, but £800!!! I've spent some stupid money but even I draw the line there lol!

Shame you can't shot peen synchros, although...I was reading about a WPC micro shot peening process that could potentially work on them, but I only found places in the US and Japan doing it so gave up reading anymore!

Nice, but £800 on the CAE.... I mean sure it looks pretty BA, but £800!!! I've spent some stupid money but even I draw the line there lol!

Shame you can't shot peen synchros, although...I was reading about a WPC micro shot peening process that could potentially work on them, but I only found places in the US and Japan doing it so gave up reading anymore!

Ahha, it's a lot but it won't be a straight away mod, just for the future.

There is a company in Newbury I'm talking to, hopefully get something out of it.

didnt even know all this could be done to a gearbox..well done..great stuff and knowledge..

Nice, I love the subtleness of Carbon on black cars, boot and bonnet would be nice.

Now your talking a lot of money :lol: carbon mods do a very good DIY front splitter kit, I think the 197's need a bit of aero to make them a bit more aggressive looking and to try and kill some of that understeer.

didnt even know all this could be done to a gearbox..well done..great stuff and knowledge..

A lot of things can be done to a gearbox. Shot peening is used a lot in forged engine internals to reduce stress in the metal from machining.

yeah man but that's my point, money on a CAE would be better surely on a carbon boot??? weight saving :wink: Bonnet is purely cosmetic really given we have alloy bonnets already so take it or leave it really.

I reckon with your skills anyway you could have a bash at your own shifter?

yeah man but that's my point, money on a CAE would be better surely on a carbon boot??? weight saving :wink: Bonnet is purely cosmetic really given we have alloy bonnets already so take it or leave it really.

I reckon with your skills anyway you could have a bash at your own shifter?

Possibly, could just take the boot off? :lol: maybe, I quite like something to have no modification for a change :lol: