Reliability

Had my 197 for like 9 months or so now and im very happy with the reliability of it, not missed a beat once!! Obvious wear issues like steering wheel and bolsters but other than that fantastic! People can't knock them for being unreliable! Love the 197 can't wait to be able drive again in like 6 weeks, god I miss driving lol.

Has anyone had any real problems with reliability because I never really see many problems on here??

Well done renaultsport :wink:

Last edited:
Mine's never broken down, failed to start or had major component failure, it's just issues relating to build quality that cause the problems.

they are good cars overall,

mines not missed a beat either, ( someones going to end up with a good one ).

Nice bump there chappo!

Mines been a sweet runner to, although whisper it or else one of us will end up with a piston going AWOL.

I don't think many people have had any proper problems, only small nigly things with the exception of the odd gearbox

like ALL cars there are faults and design problems.....

for the price/performance ratio.........unbeatable :thumbup1:

TBHHMCB :foxspeed:

cant tell a bad word about it, from the beating the car gets never failing in 5 years it is a remarkable achievement, by far the most reliable renault I have ever owned...

The engine is pretty well proven, the general design has been around for a while to say the least.

Gear box is made of cheese and requires a firm hand when cold.

Recaros are covered with some variety of wet paper bag based material.

Wheels are painted so thinly they might as well have just laquered them.

But I'd still rather own it than a [insert any other brand relevant here].

I had a starter motor . Which could happen to any car as most use a part from bosch or someone.

As said above the rest is just niggling build quality issues. Door seals , seat wear glove box etc

Having 90 k km now. only issue with steering wheel leather and rear window splitters. a t 20 k km had issue with with oil consumption. had a gasket changed in the engine under warranty.
Overall a very reliable car.

I got a print out from renault so far the following has been done to my car

15,630 rear breaks cleaned
15630 replace rear silencer, osf engine mount
16,661 replace fault air con compressor
25,555 nff with wateringress
25,555 replace os door weather strip
27,224 outer door handle fitted as part of hands free fault
27,224 replace osf outer door handle
27,224 replace osf seat base
28,358 adjust tailgate striker
32,048 replaced defective tailgate seal
45,091 fuel injector failed and needed replaced

all before I owned it!!

Its going in on the 18th of this month with a suspected air compressor fault again. This will be number 2. the door seals have failed twice from I've owned the car also there is a knock on the left hand side which everyone seems to have, there is oil coming from the rocker cover bolts, steering wheel has melted to bits, the belts are squeaking like fook and there seems to be a bad noise at 5,500+ rpm..

still the best car I've owned

oh and the following service schedule was completed

11,924 18-1-08
23,429 17-12-08
34,539 05-12-09
45,900 27-07-2010

currently on 52,000 mile due to be serviced soon. I've owned it for a year and changed the oil twice with a new filter so its not like its been looked after :worried:

Well given the run today. Out of the 2 Germans and 5 French the only 2 to have problems were the Germans one overheated massively and the other nearly ran out of fuel...

The first 6 months ownership ( bought brand new ) was a rocky relationship consisting of cooling problems and massive abs issues which had the car in the dealers every other week.

For the next two years though it hasn't put a foot wrong so let's hope it keeps it's form :smile:

btw just to keep this thread up to date the car went in today needed sealant on the rocker cover bolt, aircon pump is knackered (this will be the 3rd one on the car!) the knocking on the left hand side they couldn't see anything loose but did agree that it was a possible top mount issue! :worried:

Apart from paint falling off one of the wheels (it'd been badly touched up) the only problem I've had is the recaro wear which meant drivers side was replaced at 3kmiles and tbh at 15k it's due to go back fro some more......

Am I just not looking hard enough for problems?

btw just to keep this thread up to date the car went in today needed sealant on the rocker cover bolt, aircon pump is knackered (this will be the 3rd one on the car!) the knocking on the left hand side they couldn't see anything loose but did agree that it was a possible top mount issue! :worried:
theres always 1 that gets through the net and you seem to have it Adam:wink:

Not good mate. I dont want to make light of the situation but it sounds like a Friday afternoon car TBH!

They can make them properly though, the amount of stick some of them hold up to is much beyond your run of the mill hatchback!

Well given the run today. Out of the 2 Germans and 5 French the only 2 to have problems were the Germans one overheated massively and the other nearly ran out of fuel...

oem-06F-145-702C.jpg

:bat:

Similar Thread Suggestions