197 reliability issues?

Really compared with the old Clio models!? Having owned a 1.8 16v/2.0 16v and 182 over the last six years (my only cars) and moving onto the next up i am wondering whether they are less reliable as the general idea i get from other forums is that there are so many issues with them!?

The others served me really well and caused me hardly any headache but i am wondering what the 197 will bring! If i keep it as well maintained, garaged etc is it likely to cause many headaches?

What are the most common problems with them?

Cheers

Jay

Had my 197 for 2 years and never had any reliability issues with it at all.

Most common is kangarooing just leave car running for 5-10mins before journey and it wont happen and recaro seat wear just buy seat covers to protect them.

I have a Clio 197 for almost 2 years now, and TBH - will never buy another RenFault again.

If you have 1*2, stick to it.

I have had:

- Kangarooing
- Recaro Wear
- Steering Wheel melting
- Anthracite Alloy blistering

Luckily, all have been covered under warranty

Mine will go before the warranty has expired (in July), so I'd buy a later one if I were you...

Russ.

nothing really - never been to dealers for warranty work

does kangeroo when cold but if its left running for 2mins its fine

i do look after it and being a vehicle engineer helps !

15,000 kms

- eats oil like a pig
- it rattles a lot - at first I was annoyed - now they're part of the Clio experience

....but it's fun to drive

I have had no mechanical problems what so ever, very good on oil only ever had to top it up once, same with the coolant level.

Door seals have split on both sides and where the front lights have rubbed on the wing it has removed a bit of paint but apart from that it’s been solid, find me a car that has no problems, all manufactures have there little niggles, VAG it’s the coil packs.

Just done a 620mile round trip in mine and it was fine; only problem was that it only did 31mpg going at 70mph so cost me £120 to fill it right up both ways, but then it is a sports car.

Kangaroo problem I find is more down to the driver, if you drive smoothly and get it into 2nd as soon as possible then its fine.

Put it into 3rd at 4.5rpm and push the loud pedal, you will soon forget about everything :thumbup:

Also mine hardly rattles, only the seat belt base does. It can be quite loud in the cabin so if you do a lot of high speed miles it might get tiresome quickly.

Last edited:
So really like the others its luck of the draw! Some are good some are bad then!?

I can live with that, especially as i dont cover much more than 2k a year and the car will be garaged and mainatained regardless!

If you have 1*2, stick to it.

I sold it the weekend mate!

Mine will go before the warranty has expired (in July), so I'd buy a later one if I were you...

I will be buying an 08 or younger so it will have plenty of warranty left on it mate.

So really its just the Recaro wear and kangarooing thats an issue!? Do maps not sort this out?

I must admit i had no problems with me 182 although people said steering wheels, exhausts, mounts etc were like chocolate on them so hopefully i will be ok with the new model.

So really like the others its luck of the draw! Some are good some are bad then!?

I can live with that, especially as i dont cover much more than 2k a year and the car will be garaged and mainatained regardless!

I sold it the weekend mate!

I will be buying an 08 or younger so it will have plenty of warranty left on it mate.

So really its just the Recaro wear and kangarooing thats an issue!? Do maps not sort this out?

I must admit i had no problems with me 182 although people said steering wheels, exhausts, mounts etc were like chocolate on them so hopefully i will be ok with the new model.

the kangarooing just adds a bit of character.. its only when you first get in..like someone else said just change into second and your fine. at first I thought it was me untill I read this lol. I had two clios before this..a 1.2 96 clio for 2 years with 80,000 miles (first car) and it only really started having problems at the end of its life with me but then it was a 8 year old car. The second was a 1.4 clio sport...2000 with 60 thousand miles, had 73,000 when i sold it and yet no problems apart from a leaky sunroof! My fiesta zetec s.. bought from new, driven hard for 30,000 miles and never had a single trip to the garage apart from a service :thumbup1: hoping the clio will be the same :thumbup:

I have had 3x 182's two of them kangarooing in the mornings like all 1*2's and now knowing 197's do! but my last 182 i had inlets matched and remap and i had no more kangaroo in the cold mornings! so it can be sorted..

I don't yet have a 197 so topics like this are good for me to read also.

You simply cannot compare the two. They're much younger than the mk1s and 2 that you've had in all likelihood.

But I'll compare anyway! Touching wood (oo er) mine has never let me down. Yes it's had a few niggles that required dealer attention but none were major that would've put the car off the road. Besides, it's a Renault. It comes with the territory.

I imagine it's mostly luck of the draw but so far my experience has been very positive.

I love this thread.

I guess I must be the lucky one.

W reg Saxo VTS, then a 51 Plate Zetec S - then an 07 197...

A dream compared to the previous two rattle death traps lol :smile::smile::smile:

You simply cannot compare the two. They're much younger than the mk1s and 2 that you've had in all likelihood.

I wasnt really mate - I was just saying my last two were as good as gold so was hoping the newer model would be too despite the reliability issues that seem to be wide/common over on CS! I suppose thats no different to any Clio though as all Clios are unreliable rust buckets that fall apart as per many on there! lol

As for kangarooing my 182 never did it from cold! It was spot on from word go!

With the Recaros what bits actually wear? Did they put more solid Recaros in from a certain age onwards or was it just if you had to claim under warranty as im sure i read somewhere that an R27 was given slightly different/more sturdy seats under warranty!?

The only problem I've had with mine is the stereo packed up in the recent cold weather - rang the dealers and they've ordered me a new one.

Mine doesn't rattle and I'd say the build quality is on par with every other car I've owned in 17 years of driving. I bought a brand new Polo 16V in 1998 and it was nothing but trouble, so you can get a lemon from any manufacturer.

Maybe I've been lucky but I'd certainly buy another Renaultsport.

i dont want to tempt fate and say what has or hasnt gone wrong but my advice would be to buy one and love every mile!

My replacement Recaro cover seems to be made from a darker/tougher material than before, but this now means that I have seats which don't match!

They have also started to wear, so I'm about to phone Renault to have a moan :smile:

Right, I spoke to R-UK again on this, and the CS Manager I spoke to seemed to be very helpful.

I raised a number of concerns:

- The fact that the replacement covers are a different colour/texture
- The replacement cover is wearing after 3 months/3k miles (fraying of material)
- Do I have to wait for a hole to appear before I get another replacement?
- Will it be replaced again if I get a hole, whilst it's under warranty? (She suggested perhaps not due to cost!)
- If I was to buy a 200/250 with these same seats, then would I have the same problem again? If so, I will have to look at other brands...

She seemed very keen to get this addressed once and for all, and I've asked her why R-UK haven't acknowledged that there is a problem/manufacturing defect. I have also asked for explicit assurances that the same will not happen if I buy a 200/250.

Will let you know what she comes back with

Russ

Thats totally mad that a brand like Recaro would supply such flimsy, shit seats for a well respected hatch like the RS!

They are a must option in my next car but i really hope i dont have problems with them myself!

I can say the same as everyone else, on the whole the car has been brilliant but I have been to the dealers twice for warranty work but its nothing to put you off buying the car, after all that is why they come with a warranty - renault and most manufacturers cant really be expected to get things right first time, as much as we would like them to!

I think the easiest thing to do is to check what warranty work has been carried out on it and that way you are likely to know whether or not lots will need to be done in the future! If its been a problem child since it was made (probably a friday afternoon lol) then chances are it wont get better!

Last edited:
I think its your pick of luck with the car to be honest.. most people on here know that my car (the friday car) has had nothing but problems with it.. I have had clutch replaced, steering rack, suspension, the engines been dropped out to replace oil leaks from it and had most of all the stuff replace in the engine so i would say my experience has not been the best and the worst part is its still finding faults and braking. This was all covered thankfully under warrently.

But saying all that i have put up with the car, love driving it and love when its working. My opinion is you have to go with what you like and if its the 197 then buy it but hopefully you get a nice working one :smiley: