Reliability and running costs

The work got done at a Renault main dealer, the springs were an MOT failure, so they had me over a barrel. I paid £186 per side :confounded: It was a bad day as a couple of other things needed doing at the same time, so it was a massive bill. In hindsight - and if I hadn't needed the car back that day - I would have got some aftermarket springs and saved myself a lot of money. You live and learn.

I was lucky they did not found out that snapped spring in mot check. They told when car was in local renault marmor palace that right spring is snapped.
Maybe i will buy one second hand good spring for right side, or pair of new springs and get those done later. I have couple really good mechanic friends who are really good with spanners.

I was lucky they did not found out that snapped spring in mot check. They told when car was in local renault marmor palace that right spring is snapped.
Maybe i will buy one second hand good spring for right side, or pair of new springs and get those done later. I have couple really good mechanic friends who are really good with spanners.

The irony is that at the time, I had a spare spring at home, but I had no way of getting it to the garage in time... It was just bad luck and a crappy set of circumstances. I would agree that a pair is better, however it's all down to budget/what is available at the time. Having mechanic friends is very useful!

There's been no mention yet of another factor on reliability and that's the way you drive it, If your going to drive it like a nutter thrashing it at every chance wheel spinning from every set Of lights etc then components will be put under higher stress and wear more quickly even breaking.

Paul

Reactions: Jimmy and kevlar
As Mes says, cracking advice already written in this thread.

There has been one recent case on the forum of a belt breaking, resulting in an engine rebuild @KYFO.CO.UK was the unfortunate soul that this happened to - this was despite the fact he had paperwork to say that the work had been done... However this is ONE case among many, many other cars that have had the work done and had no further issues. The key point is make sure you have the paperwork confirming it has been done, or budget to do to the work yourself for the peace of mind.
Yep I was really unlucky very early into my ownership and it cost me 2k for a rebuild. It's been magical since though, I still love it despite this and it's eager thirst for fuel.

Reactions: Jimmy
Putting things into perspective, my previous track/weekend car was a first gen 2003 Mini Cooper S JCW. It was much worse on fuel, required an engine rebuild and had pitiful brakes. All in a car that was £25k+ in its day.

These Clio's aren't perfect but in many ways they're better (or at least no worse) than their contemporaries.

I much prefer my RS200 to all my precious fun cars including my 'other' car a brand new Peugeot 208 GTI by PS

Reactions: Jimmy

Similar Thread Suggestions