Possibly going to be made redundant, hoping good things are coming!

Well today is wednesday and i hope the result isnt what your worried about,

What i can say is you have a skill Arran a trade that is constantly in demand and that goes a long way at the moment. Whatever happens keep an eye out of for jobs at BG mate as they are cutting back on sub contractors and want everything in house. MAy also be worth looking at getting your MET1 and keeping it in your back pocket as Smart meters are being rolled out accross the country soon.

Hope all goes well today - I work for E.ON so I'm well aware of the constant re-shuffling that goes on. Hoefully it's just a re-structure!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Well, 175 jobs are going. I estimate that is 90% of the work force. They are creating 24 engineer posts in renewable engery. So the chances are slim. They're taking on the cream of the crop, so if someone is better experienced than me, then they are more likely to get it.
However, the company has to finish the contracts they aready have until they finish, so not sure where my job will stand in terms of that. Might still be a decent amount of work left. I'm having a meeting with my manager tomorrow, so will hopefully find more out then.
I'm going to look for another job anyway, this company have messed me round far too much already.
As for the Clio, well, I'm keeping it until I find out more. But as it is the only thing I have hanging round my neck finacially, it would make sense to sell it so I don't have the finacial burden every month to worry about.

Thanks everyone. I'm a gas engineer btw! Lol!

You'll be alright mate, are you like a Corgi engineer? If so you'll find work. Just get your head down and think of it as a change for the better. You probably need to get out of that company by the sounds of it.

Get your CV looking really good and get it on the jobsites! If you have to sell the car and other things then so be it. Things will turn around if you take the right approach :smile:

Ye, Gas Safe Registered to work on most domestic appliances and commercial. It's my age and experience that are what employers don't like when looking for another job. They are quite important.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Well, 175 jobs are going. I estimate that is 90% of the work force. They are creating 24 engineer posts in renewable engery. So the chances are slim. They're taking on the cream of the crop, so if someone is better experienced than me, then they are more likely to get it.
However, the company has to finish the contracts they aready have until they finish, so not sure where my job will stand in terms of that. Might still be a decent amount of work left. I'm having a meeting with my manager tomorrow, so will hopefully find more out then.
I'm going to look for another job anyway, this company have messed me round far too much already.
As for the Clio, well, I'm keeping it until I find out more. But as it is the only thing I have hanging round my neck finacially, it would make sense to sell it so I don't have the finacial burden every month to worry about.

On that point perhaps you should look into training in renewable energy. It's going to attract a huge amount of skills in the next few decades. Something to branch out into maybe?

you never no Arran wait till you find out more tomorrow to find out exactly were you stand

you never no Arran wait till you find out more tomorrow to find out exactly were you stand

Have to agree with Roy. I also think your age will do you more favours then someone in their 50's.

Would your qualifications allow you to consider setting up on your own?

Have to agree with Roy. I also think your age will do you more favours then someone in their 50's.

Would your qualifications allow you to consider setting up on your own?

Yes, it is a possibility. I have thought about doing it, after all, the only thing I have got to loose is my car. I haven't got a house and any kids etc, so would be an ideal time. I just wish I had got some more experience and bigger balls! Lol!

On that point perhaps you should look into training in renewable energy. It's going to attract a huge amount of skills in the next few decades. Something to branch out into maybe?

If he did this himself selling the clio would be for definate as the costs are very high, best of trying to get into another energy supplier and getting them to get you retrained however his qualifications are always in demand, Also nobody knows which renewable source is going to take off, Its already been said that solar is a write off.

Aran keep an eye on the BG job site mate.
http://www.britishgasjobs.co.uk/

are yopu emploey directly by Eon at the mo?

Experience doesn't count for as much as everyone makes out. If I were you and in a fast-paced changing environment I wouldn't worry about experience. Let the qualifications you have speak for themselves and focus on your ability to adapt to the changes whichever company you join are going to face in the coming years. Experience only proves you can do the same thing time after time. The ability to adapt, learn and apply what experience you have should be far more beneficial to a future employer.
Just something to think about :smile:

Hope tomorrow goes well!

Saw my manager's manager earlier today, she is the sister of one of my colleges! Lol! She said not to worry, she will find me a job. But, she also said I would have a pay rise 6 months ago and it never happened! So I'm taking it with a large pinch of salt! Also registered with a recruitment agency, so hopefully something will come along. The meeting I had this morning was fairly pointless, my manager didn't know anything more at this point, but has been in a meeting this afternoon and has confirmed some answers to questions that had been asked by people.
Hopefully things will work out, but after calculating my redundancy pay this morning, I am very worried about getting a job, the payout would only be just over a months pay! :-/

Last edited:
hopefully it will work out well for you.
The E.on call center shut down around my area recently.
a lot of employees lost their jobs.

Sorry to read all this Arran, wish you the best for the future.
It sounds like they were a cr@p company to work for anyway so dwell on the positives and look to the future, i'm sure something good will come along.

Hope you can keep the car too. :thumbup: