New Quaife diff fitted ..

I decided to get a new diff for my Clio 200 and went for a Quaife ATB after reading various positive write ups in the various forums. Now there was a dilemma as to where I would get the diff fitted after contacting various places I decided to go with an outfit called Hardy Engineering in Leatherhead, Surrey, who specialize in gearbox repairs and fitting, plus they were only 10mins for where I live!! .

I first made enquiries about their capability to fit the diff not an easy task I might add and I needed to ensure they would do a good job.

I decided to a look and see to give me an idea of what they do. First I met Neil who is the owner and manager great bloke who knows a vast amount of knowledge about gearboxes and clutches and then I was taken around the workshop for a look around. They do a lot of gearboxes for just about every car imaginable! They do specialize on classic car gearboxes Austin Healy’s in particular, I asked if they’d ever done Renault sport Clio before and to be honest they hadn’t, that’s not too bad as they had done various other Renault boxes etc so were well capable of removing and refitting that type of gearbox.

After a workshop tour I wanted to hear about the methods and the care that would be taken to do the work as this would be a ‘track car’ as well! Neil reassured me that they have experience with racing classic cars and that the car would be safe hands! Another plus point as they know how important it is to get the car in a ‘race worthy state’ not something any garage can do!!

Hardy Engineering have a small select team of technicians/mechanics that work on customers vehicles so all I had to do now was to book the car in for the rework.

Whist deciding when to put the car into get done I notice a Helix clutch came up for sale on the Forum so I managed to buy this from ‘Shakeyhandman’ Thanks Andy!!

I still had to get some oil and gave ‘the oilman’ at Opie Oils a quick call and he advised me on the most suitable type of oil. I bought some Fuchs Synapod oil ( Discounted !!) ready for the reburbed box.

I then booked the car in with Hardy Engineering and whilst I was shown around the workshop this time I asked if there was a possibility to write a small piece about the work they do and they were ok with this and I asked if they could take some pics to illustrate the process and the work involved, no problem said Bill.

So off the little 200 went for its major operation, I did say that masked and gowns were not required however rubber gloves must be worn at all times J.

The photos show the process of how the gearbox was removed starting at the top of the engine with battery etc removed then to the underneath. I had some idea of the work involved but not to the extent it actually was, so I was pleased when I eventually got the bill.

The whole removal and installation cost was £600 + Vat = £720

This amounted to the following :-

Remove gearbox.

Strip box down and replace diff.

Examine gearbox for signs of wear and check rings and gear teeth sets selectors etc for wear, check magnetic catcher for fillings. ( All clean)

Remove clutch and replace with Helix clutch.

Refill using Fuchs oil.

Reinstate all parts and test.

I think that it was great to see that these old school workshops still exist and that the team were so helpful and friendly. As for gearbox refurbs if to can send your old box there I’m sure they can turn the box around in a short time and have you up and running again.

Now what to do next... ?? :lol:

Cheers ,

Dave.

Attachments

• 20140203_173059.jpg
    20140203_173059.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20140203_163656.jpg
    20140203_163656.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20140203_163706.jpg
    20140203_163706.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20140203_165132.jpg
    20140203_165132.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20140203_175138.jpg
    20140203_175138.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 153
good stuff

the 197/200 box isn't that difficult to strip down to its major parts - easy

Was the best mod I made to my old 197, perhaps even more so than the ITBs. The corner exit traction on a wet trackday has to be felt to be believed.

Assuming you've done a wet trackday without it otherwise you'll just think it's always been that awesome.

I'd say you could get a similar effect on the front end fitting R888s on a dry day.

I was lucky enough to get a box that had a diff in it already!

Talking at least 8 hours surely to strip down the box fit the diff rebuild it and then fit the box back?

I was lucky enough to get a box that had a diff in it already!

Talking at least 8 hours surely to strip down the box fit the diff rebuild it and then fit the box back?

That doesn't sound too bad, luckily time doesn't matter as mine isn't road legal