New Car Ideas

burrellbloke

Paid Member
A few weeks ago my Megane RS 280 had an unfortunate meeting with a dead deer (it was dead before I got to it) at 70 mph on a dual carriageway. The car has been written off as the repair bill was something like £21,000 and the insurance company did not want to risk the repairs getting any more expensive. The salvage buy back price was £11,000 making it uneconomical for me to buy it back and repair it. The garage told me that the parts were going to cost £15,000 for the repair job.

I now really regret not taking the Megane out on a track day to see what it was capable of.

I am looking to replace the Megane with something new or newish in the £30,000 to £35,000 price bracket. I was thinking of something fun like a Yaris GR. I don't need a family wagon so the car can be something that isn't big or too economical. I am not looking to buy a supercar but something that would be an like for like replacement for the Megane in terms of power and handling.

Renault no longer make a Renault Sport model and I think that most Megane 280s or 300s are overpriced at the moment for a decent spec liquid yellow or volcanic orange model.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Sad
Reactions: Beany
Taking everything you've mentioned in to account; what you will use the car for, your budget, what you are looking for in the car and wanting something new/nearly new, I really can't see past the GR Yaris.

I don't know how similar it would be to the Megane but it would definitely be one to try, if it's a fun hot-hatch style car you are wanting.

Prices for a circuit pack car have eased slightly on ones with a few miles on, 5 Years warranty as standard and the warranty covers track use also.

Reactions: burrellbloke
Cupra 300/290 or whatever they are badged
What does an early Alpine fetch these days?
If it’s not going on track then the VAG platform is very good and ticks most boxes

i can tell you theres one thing i chased a megane 275 trophy in scotland in my gr yaris and kept up with it and he wasnt sparing the horses :chris2:

probably one of the fastest point to point cars on a b road i have ever driven...you know the saying the driver bottles it before the car does!

I tried myself to find something that could do it all and went for a Megane 300 Troohy as some of them still have nearly 3 years warranty left.

If you go for an M2 get the competition as the standard cars suspension can't cope very well on fun roads. Other choices as suggested i30N Yaris but it's really only a 2 seater and try finding a secondhand one that's not been used hard or tracked.

A 981 Cayman S is a good shout button get a good spec there silly money maybe it's worth seeing what the new Civic Type R is priced it as that looks to be interesting.

Taking everything you've mentioned in to account; what you will use the car for, your budget, what you are looking for in the car and wanting something new/nearly new, I really can't see past the GR Yaris.

I don't know how similar it would be to the Megane but it would definitely be one to try, if it's a fun hot-hatch style car you are wanting.

Prices for a circuit pack car have eased slightly on ones with a few miles on, 5 Years warranty as standard and the warranty covers track use also.

10yr warranty now if serviced in the toyota network

but they are stupid money! (and when i looked seriously in getting one the interior finish and switch gear were bit of a joke for £60k)

would have a cayman gts/s instead

wow, that’s ridiculous, I didn’t expect them to be that much!Jeez

I’d be trying to find a nice spec M2 Competition with that budget.
You’ve got the Clio for outright track duty.
So I assume you want something nice but also fun to drive on the road.
If you wanted it can do a track day on just pads and fluid. But then why would you do that if you have the Clio?

Also an RS3 facelift just about falls into budget. Ok maybe not the most fun car, but that noise!!!
Pop on some ball joints for more camber on the front and then you remove the understeer and have a really nice car for a blast. Won’t be great on track though.

Reactions: M154MATT
All very good ideas.

What are the maintenance costs like for a M2? The only ones in my price budget would be a few years old with a bit of mileage on them so I guess they would be more expensive to maintain?

Just did a quick Google on M2 service prices and from a main dealer your looking at roughly £300 for your basic oil oil filter and cabin filter service every 12000 odd miles and £600 for the same but with the spark plugs being done every 24000 odd miles.

Not extortionate and the M2 Comp is a hell of a car.

Mate of mine taking his M2 comp to Snetterton this Saturday. I’m sure he’ll take you out if you wanted a ride

Mate of mine taking his M2 comp to Snetterton this Saturday. I’m sure he’ll take you out if you wanted a ride

Tempting, but I am not sure the Wife would be best pleased if I disappear for 5 hours on Saturday. I have got a test drive booked for a Yaris GR on Saturday to see if the hype about the car is worth it. At least if I drive it and don't like it I can rule it out.

I should probably see if I can test drive an M2 comp...

Yeah the M2 won’t be that bad to maintain.
M3 and below are usually ok. It’s the M5/6 with the V10s that were crazy.

My 2008 E92 M3 cost me less in maintenance in a year than my 2007 Clio 197

Tempting, but I am not sure the Wife would be best pleased if I disappear for 5 hours on Saturday. I have got a test drive booked for a Yaris GR on Saturday to see if the hype about the car is worth it. At least if I drive it and don't like it I can rule it out.

I should probably see if I can test drive an M2 comp...
I’m sure the hype is worth it. Can you deal with the looks and sound though? That’s what would be foremost in my mind

Stepping out of the clio I was very disappointed and confused by the reviews it was getting so interested in how you find it.