200: In need of a car cover any ideas ?

Dont do it, ive known of folk spend hundreds on breathable ones, but they are still a moisture trap, and will wear away on the corners of the paint.

Long term? Ok for short term tho?

Both. If there's any wind and I mean any then they move and rub at the corners etc, it doesn't matter how well its secured it will move and it will cause damage. Personally i'd slap a few layers of a durable wax or sealant onto the car and hose it down every couple of weeks.

I got one off eBay. Car is off the road for a month and just want to protect it from bird poop.

I think it should be ok...I'll try tie it down tight

I wouldnt even bother, think of the debris being swirled around putting it on and removing it.... and also the wind.

Id agree with the give it a damn good wax and keep your eye on it

As said avoid avoid avoid.

I went to Iraq for 3 months and left a cover on my Mk2 Golf, when i came back and took it off it had damaged the paint pretty badly. Loads of red powder all over the inside of the cover. Only ever use a cover if the car is in a garage.

I wouldn't use an outdoor cover either. Indoor use only on a clean car with a breathable cover in a DRY garage, anything else and I'd go with Paddys suggestion of durable wax and a rinse every now and then.

Good cover didn't do any damage the car but only if buy a **** car cover, that might do damage. I had my 197 been car cover for over 3 month and no damage at all.

Some say it a bad idea, well they not doing it right.

Good cover didn't do any damage the car but only if buy a **** car cover, that might do damage. I had my 197 been car cover for over 3 month and no damage at all.

If its not for a long period then a "good" cover could still cost you £100+, you can get some very decent waxes for that and you can use them whenever you like.

Im sorry but anything that is free to move on your paint will damage it over a period of time unless it produces no friction. Maybe the fact my Golf was not clear-coated highlighted the fact.

If you are going to do it then these look like a pretty safe bet for causing less damage Twingogeek posted it up before.

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/home.php