Wet carpet! Any ideas?

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
Got in my car the other day when it was pissing it down, drove to see my missus. Went to get out the car and grab my water bottle and it wasn't there. So I had a look and it had fallen behind/under the passenger seat. So I picked it up and noticed the carpet was soaking in the rear passenger footwell in 3 spots, three out of the four corners.

Now, I'm not sure if the bottle had leaked, but it didn't seem like there was much water missing from it an the carpet was really quite wet. So I think there might be water getting in to the car when it's raining. The door drains aren't blocked because they p**s out when I open the door.

Any ideas?

No obvious signs of where it's coming from though really.

Water tends to track across all sorts of places so it could be really hard to find where it's coming from. If the door seals all seem ok (no splits and seated into the channels correctly) it could be coming in through the rear glass. You may find there are holes in the glass sealant. Only way to see this is to strip the trim panels from the rear passenger area off and look for water marks. Once you have the panels off, it may pay you to get someone outside with a hose pipe to see if you can find the leak.
It may also be coming up from the floor, again this would be caused by faulty sealing operations in the body in white stage of building the car. Either way, bit of a p@@@@r to get sorted.
Hope its only the door seals
Such

Check your passenger side door seal (the one that goes down the side of the window)

Mine had split on both sides, I had it replaced in the summer so I can't say if it may be causing the leak, but it might be worth a try.

doubt it would be those seals, I havent even got one on my drivers side and I have no leak issues

Water leaks are a pain in the ass to locate and fix, water will flow in all directions making it hard to find where its coming from with out removing parts and checking.

Do you know if the rear window been removed at any point?

Try and get your hands on some food colouring, you will be able to locate where it is coming from a bit easier.

Just don't take your car to a main dealer unless its under warranty, that charge an arm and a leg to do this type of work.

I don't think the window has ever been removed, but the car was year old when I bought it. I've dried it out a bit, so I'll see how it goes.

I've got the same thing going on right now, you can have a look under the seat where the front and rear carpet meet, there's a hole where the wiring from the airbags comes out, there will be lots of water down there and the sponges in the rear will be soaked, I am getting this checked today at the dealers, but I do suspect the A/C drain being blocked, as we had little if no rain at all recently, I have already took the rear seats out, popped the rear carpet and used a microfibre to take some of the water out, will pick the front carpet up today to see if its wet as well,

checked and yes there is water in the front as well, does your car have a sunroof Arran?? as the dealer suspects its a sunroof... but as I had a similar issue in a megane also at around 5 years old mark and it was the a/c drain that was clogged I believe this is the case again...

Have they diverted it from the boot when they stopped the leak in there Arran lol

got it done yesterday, seats unbolted, carpets out, the drain that is situated behind the top shock mount was clogged, the n/s/f one, less than an hour work to get it done,managed to do it without taking the wipers off, used a long thin plastic hose from one of the A/C cleaning spray agents, filled the drain up with water, then sucked some of it out and pushed through the clog, then rinsed and its well clean now, checked the other drain as well but it was good, used a microfibre towel to get the water out, should be dry in a few days, good chance to get the carpets clean as well :smile:

I think the water leak I had in the rear wasn't actually a leak, I think it came from a bottle of water that fell over. It just didn't appear to dry very quickly, but I don't think it has ever come back. I had water getting in to the boot, which Renault claim to have fixed, but I haven't looked yet really. Apparently it was getting in up from the wheel arch.

well I thought I got it solved but apparently not, the drain is not what caused the leak alone, even though its working well, all the water comes out when I flush a glass of water in, but there is still some water making its way into the front passenger footwell, I noticed yesterday as I still have the carpets out, it was raining but not too bad, and some tiny streams of water are still showing up, it didnt fill the footwell on a 20 minutes trip in the rain, but still, cant put the carpets back in before I got it fixed, any further ideas? not the aircon as I was driving a few days with the carpets out and aircon working all the time and not a single drop of water has appeared....

ok I hope I got this fixed, made some testing yesterday, filled the subwindscreen area with water and none of it made its way inside the cabin, so thats good, then took a turn at the sunroof, poured a glass of water into the front drain and suddenly theres a flood inside the car, so I found out whats at fault, took the front wheel off, wheelarch off, and there you can see both drains coming out, poured water again, the drain below the windscreen lets everything out in a good manner :wink: the one from the sunroof has got a little flap at the end, opened it up and its clogged, so the torx I used to unscrew the wheelarch made its way up there and took most of it out, another test, water still getting inside, took the glovebox off, and below the noise guard there's a piece of rubber on the engine/cabin wall where the sunroof drain should go into, of course it was out and thats why all the water from the sunroof found itself inside the car, so put it back in place, used some powertape to ensure it doesnt fall out again, and hope its done now :smile: made another test and all of the water went out through the wheelarch exit spitting out quite a lot of the remaining dirt that clogged it up in the first place, need to get it dry now and carpets back in, got the rear one vacuumed back to as new condition, need to get on the front one and then put it all back inside... hope that's it!