Pano Sunroof Leak/Wet Passenger Side Carpet

CM200

Paid Member
Hey all!

So last night I was awoken to my hazards going mental with no way of turning them off apart from disconnecting the battery.

Come morning I reconnect the battery and immediately the hazards are going and the alarms triggered. Couldn’t turn it off even if I unlocked the car.

I looked on here and a lot of posts stopped short of an answer. My carpets were bone dry so I didn’t even think to check underneath!

To anyone who encounters this (I sincerely hope you don’t);

First off disconnect battery - check your scuttle tray, myn was clear.

Next port of call - head over to the passengers side, take the glove box out, you’ll need a T15 iirc. Peel back the carpet and you’ll be faced with sound deadening/whatever your preferred term.

If like me you look down by the passenger seat and see about 2 to 3 inches of water, well prepare for a nightmare. A lovely wiring loom box bottom half was sitting in this and head completely perished my alarm cable (red with a black line). I’ll touch on this later!

Follow the door seal up, as it curves up and meets the airbag/glove box you can push your hand at a angle up towards the wheel arch from the inside, you’ll feel a tube which is the drain for the sunroof.

If like me your tube has perish/split you’ll need either a jubilee clip and a slightly larger new bit of piping or silicon if like me you were stuck without the above.

Before I go any further! If this side isn’t split/perished check the drivers side! Simply peel the carpet back and you’ll see clear tubing running along the inside of the door seal. Follow it up and it droops over into a seal.

Back to business...

So I personally put some waterproof silicon inside the hose and bunged the top drain hole (passengers side) for a temp fix until I can extend my drain pipe.

Next was the fun part, remove the rear seats and peel the carpet back again, peel back the sound deadening enough to reach down and feel for damp.

Myn was soaked. If yours is the same then you’re going to need a T40 torx and a small flat head to remove your seats if they’re the standard ones.

Lift the carpet and if you’re as unlucky as me you’ll find water (enough to fill over half a bucket in my case) sitting all over the bottom of the car.

If this is the case and like me you’re in a pinch, hope you have a long and sharp blade. This bit is entirely situational and upto the individual!

But I personally cut along the horizon lines and tuck joins of the sound proofing and removed it. Squeezing this produced even more water.

I personally done this as unless you have a garage and a heater it’s never going to dry as it’s super absorbent!

So with the seats and sound deadening out get plenty of rags or a decent mop and make sure you soak up every last drop. Under the sound deadening will be long oval shaped bungs.

Remove these and leave safe to allow any air to circulate / I also had to shove a fair amount of cloths down there to soak up the worst of the water.

Back to the wiring loom - hair dryer and old toothbrush done the trick for me. Small flat head, grey plastic clasp holds the two white parts together, tuck the small flat head gently behind the top of the clasp at either side and it should pop downwards to allow you to separate these two parts of the loom.

Medium heat at around 15/20cm away (myn had oxidised fairly badly) let this dry, then I worked the worst off with the old toothbrush.

Make sure you try to clean this up as much as possible. I’ve left my one to dry further over night but happy with the job I’d done I reconnected the two and turned car on, all electrics worked - however no alarm for me for now. Reconnecting this cable seems to create a short and the alarm issue repeats.

So - for anyone having this issue I hope this helps to some degree. I’ll try to update it as I go along.

Only plus side out of this is I might be able to convince the missus to let me gut it and finally make a track toy!

Reactions: Ppa and Sean197