Which car to get? Ideas please

vivid white

Platinum Member
Hi All,

I have convinced myself for awhile that I want to get rid of the 197 but I am cr*p and just cannot make my mind up on a replacement.

Basically my Clio is a 2006 with 46,000 miles on the clock.

I am looking for something for around £8000 (give or take alittle), around the same sort of age or younger and around the same sort of miles or fewer.

I dont want something 'run of the mill' as I do like the stand out a little and I do like my gadgets.

I have looked at everything Mazda3 MPS, A3 3.2 V6, Mini Cooper JCW, Focus ST, Renault Sport Megane etc etc but somethings I cannot get within my price bracket and some are horrible to insure and/or tax. Just need a few ideas....I do like the A3 2.0 Quattro S Line but it has to be the correct spec etc..............OH I DONT KNOW!! HELP!!

James

The Clio is the reason I'm struggling so much because i really really like it but its time for it to go now. I would have a 200 but its a bit 'similar'

Right here goes......

Lump:
Not a Scooby fan
Not keen on the 147
E46 M3 just far to much to insure and could get a decent one for the money.
I am tempted by a BMW 330i but have been looking at the Coupe's alot and cannot found a nice spec one for the right sort of money/milage

weebob:
Laguna GT isn't a bad shout really but it doesn't really stand out to me but will keep it considered.

Tickle:
Mk1 Elise, very nice cars but do not have the gadget side of things that I am looking for.
VX220, same as above really (love them though)
350Z, again I really like these and would love one but everything about them seems to be expensive.
Westfield Hayabusa, :blink:

Mr Brown:
BMW 335i, will look into a bit further

N0ddie:
I keep looking at the Cooper S / JCW and really like them. I had a 51 plate Cooper a few years a go now and really liked that and always said I would like an S when I could afford the insurance.

MikeLYR27:
MK5 Golf GTi is a car I have looked at quite a bit and this is one of the cars I struggle on really as from all the reviews / YouTube videos I have watched I get the impression I would be disappointed moving from the Clio to the GTi. (Agreed though they are great cars)
Focus ST again I do like these but I hear they are REALLY bad on fuel (can anyone comment on this?) also I keep seeing the odd facelift model pop up in my sort of price range and then it makes me want one of them with push button start etc rather than the pre facelift.

A2ON:
As above they just cost to much

nutnutwelseman:
As above

Thanks for all the replies so far really appreciate it, just dont know what to do.

James

I'm torn between a Mini Cooper S JCW and a 197. But I wouldn't say there would be much difference between the two? Apart from handling maybe. Obviosuly the Mini would have more gadgets being BMW derived.

I'm torn between a Mini Cooper S JCW and a 197. But I wouldn't say there would be much difference between the two? Apart from handling maybe. Obviosuly the Mini would have more gadgets being BMW derived.

Go for the 197. You see Cooper S' everywhere, whereas it's almost an occasion when you see a 197!

JCW's are quite rare (mainly due to the cost more than likely)

im currently in a Cooper S as a courtesy car and i think its pretty good. shifts well, corners well, just needs better brakes. Can get good mpg too without really trying.

JCW's are quite rare (mainly due to the cost more than likely)

im currently in a Cooper S as a courtesy car and i think its pretty good. shifts well, corners well, just needs better brakes. Can get good mpg too without really trying.

Better mpg than the 197 I take it? That just the 's' or the works?

whats the difference between E46 M3 and an M3?

E?? is the BMW chassis code mate.

The first 3 Series were E30, the mid-90s saw the E36, then '98-'07 ish was the E46 and finally the current chassis shape is the E92. So when somebody says E46 M3, they mean an M3 of that age, so a late '90s/early '00s age and shape car...

It's like how Porsche still use the model name 911, but the chassis codes are 930, 964, 993, 996, 997 etc., depending on the age of the vehicle. Think of it as Renault using the Clio name for the last twenty years, we just call it Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4, etc..

Of course there are a few variants of each shape M3. The E46 CSL pretty much being the ultimate driving machine (excuse the pun). But they still command £20,000+ for a well looked after one. Where as an M3 or M3 EVO of the same age can be picked up for £8,000-12,000 now.

Last edited: