More bad news for young drivers

It gets me though, people complain about young drivers crashing, its probably down to the cars they drive. Some of my mates cars are complete sheds, no abs, traction control etc. They loose it a little bit and thats it, crash bang.

If insurance costs werent so high Im sure more people would buy more expensive cars. First year of me driving my Corsa was £2200, its going to be £1800 (Down from £2700) for me to insure a 2010 FF RS200 next year.

The costs are stupid, but were stupid enough to pay them..

^^^I totally agree.

Only problem is we have to pay the price as we have no choice lol!

This is outrageous! I’m a firm believer that insurance should be optional to the driver, in other words you only cover yourself! If you decide not to get insurance and somebody crashes into you that is insured they would get their car repaired and you would have to pay out your own pocket... That way insurance would have to be more competitive otherwise they will lose all income from the ridiculous rates they charge for under 25's.. I suppose the people who decided all cars must have insurance are all over 40 and don’t mind paying £150 a year for insurance :-/

Why don’t they spread the cost of claims over all policy holders?

This is outrageous! I’m a firm believer that insurance should be optional to the driver, in other words you only cover yourself! If you decide not to get insurance and somebody crashes into you that is insured they would get their car repaired and you would have to pay out your own pocket... That way insurance would have to be more competitive otherwise they will lose all income from the ridiculous rates they charge for under 25's.. I suppose the people who decided all cars must have insurance are all over 40 and don’t mind paying £150 a year for insurance :-/

Ive never thought about that before.

Good idea!

What about if an uninsured driver knocks over and badly hurts or kills a child? Who pays out?

aged 19 i paid £2800 to insure a golf mk5 GT diseasel! shocking. Agree with Mike RS highly here, there are a few rough edges to the idea like Andy pointed out, but overall, if an ininsured driver hits you now your screwed

What about if an uninsured driver knocks over and badly hurts or kills a child? Who pays out?

Thats down to the government so its the taxpayer who pays (us again - the decent law abiding people) and to top it off they will likely escape any prosecution for their actions as nobody will take responsibility!

Thats down to the government so its the taxpayer who pays (us again - the decent law abiding people) and to top it off they will likely escape any prosecution for their actions as nobody will take responsibility!

no, that is why insurance are a must ! If you hurst someone why should everybody pay for it when they have nothing to do with it. Insurance are a rip off because they are based on stats and everybody can make them say what they want (young driver carsh more often, women are safer than men....). But then, if some get hurt on the road you are more than happy to see them forking out the bill (and i is costly).

Regarding material damage, if the person that crash into you has got a penny who is going to pay ?

It gets me though, people complain about young drivers crashing, its probably down to the cars they drive. Some of my mates cars are complete sheds, no abs, traction control etc. They loose it a little bit and thats it, crash bang.

If insurance costs werent so high Im sure more people would buy more expensive cars. First year of me driving my Corsa was £2200, its going to be £1800 (Down from £2700) for me to insure a 2010 FF RS200 next year.

The costs are stupid, but were stupid enough to pay them..
tbf you shouldn't be relying on driver aids to stop you crashing.

While I went through having to shell out for stupid premiums on "normal" cars (1.2 corsa's and such) I can understand why higher premiums are placed on cars like the 197. Unfortunately you cant argue with the figures, 17-22 year are one of the 2 highest risks groups. I know I couldn't have sensibly handled a 197 in my first 2 years of driving, imo there should be a power cap for your first 2 years.

I do agree that young drivers seem to get the sh***y end of the stick and are the one group thats constantly hammered on price. The thing that I think is disgusting is that the other high risk group (over 65's) are left alone

Perhaps one of the frustrating things that cannot have anything done about it is the "all tarred with the same brush" problem.

I drove a Saxo, and got stung big time on insurance (well not too bad actually - 23 all mods declared, was paying £780, but then 23 is out of the worst group lol!) and Saxo's have the same image problem that Novas and Corsas have "Everyone who drives one drives like a total prick"

Perhaps one of the frustrating things that cannot have anything done about it is the "all tarred with the same brush" problem.

I drove a Saxo, and got stung big time on insurance (well not too bad actually - 23 all mods declared, was paying £780, but then 23 is out of the worst group lol!) and Saxo's have the same image problem that Novas and Corsas have "Everyone who drives one drives like a total prick"

Yeah in that vain I think we dont get too ripped off with the clio I think they are driven be really nice and reasonable people - I have yet to find someone who isn't - and to a degree that is recognised by the insurers. I would never have thought my insurance would come under a grand until I was past 25 but it is. On the other hand if you look at the type-r....