LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

I'll have to have a bit more of a dig, but from the early research I did (before I had the R3 mani fitted) - I found Ktec had a pretty appalling rep for mapping tbh on most forums. A fair few reports of Meg's having been mapped so lean they blew up and simialr stories with the mk2 Clio's.

It seems these cars are a pain in the ass to map, if you have a look in the VW scene there are tons of reputable mappers all over the world. In the Renault scene, well RStuning and Fastchip....

and they also don't have widely available options compared to the VW scene. Such a shame Renault didn't choose a proper management system for their cars!

It seems these cars are a pain in the ass to map, if you have a look in the VW scene there are tons of reputable mappers all over the world. In the Renault scene, well RStuning and Fastchip....

and they also don't have widely available options compared to the VW scene. Such a shame Renault didn't choose a proper management system for their cars!

Ha, well you say Henk, and whilst I don't know how much of my original map was Henk or Andy (Engine Dynamics), the combo of the 2 guys regardless was not good. On RST's rollers it was 195bhp with the Henk/Andy map, 215bhp with RS Tuning map. Same rollers, same day.

I'm not talking about ktec, I'm on about Mr Cutler (Phoenix technology now). I dont believe a word of it, it's all forum cobblers lol

Well it was one and the same of course, but yeah I suspect a lot of it is BS. Anyway gearbox is first concern and I've now decided what ratios and FD I'm using...

Blue stock 200, red new.
200stockFDvs197-4_7FD.jpg

1 and 2 the same - which is great, I don't want those any shorter, then 3-4-5-6 stacked up closer with a realistic top end. My new 6th is going to be like my current 5th, 137@7700.

No stupid long 6th capable of 162@7700 now. I take the view if you haven't got enough power to hit the limiter in top then your gearbox is overly long. No problems there now! :smiley:

I thought the clio gearbox was short enough, it got on my tits lol! That's pretty impressive that you can make up your own ratios, didn't know you could that.. built to order?! :blush:

No, but I've been toying over which 1-2-3 set to use. Either longer 197 or shorter 200. Also which 5&6, shorter on 197, longer on 200.
I was considering using the shortest from both boxes. But the short 200 1-2-3 with the short FD, just become useless. Also the longer 5&6 from the 200 on a 4.7 FD is not quite short enough plus the spacing is not as nice.

Basically using the whole ealry 197 box with the longer 1-2-3 and with the short 5&6, along with the 4.7 FD = perfect for NA.

Custom gear set would be crazy money, probably be easier to get a Sadev out either a Cup Racer or R3 Maxi!

Looks like some works gone into/going into your gearing selection.

One thing I'd think about and you've probably done this is; what's the most common track you go to for trackdays, where are you going to be competing ?

I know that for Knockhill my 3rd and 4th gears are spot on for Normal Direction but in Reverse Direction 4th isn't tall enough meaning I need to bounce on the limiter or change to 5th then almost instantly change back down through the gears to second for the hairpin (it can be really frustrating and gives you more to think about than you need especially if you passing someone).

Its worth a trip do some research on the tracks and what gears your going to need.
I doubt you'll ever see 6th but that might change with your new top speed in 5th ?
It may end up you've more gears to go down and be less beneficial ?

Yeah I've gone for the optimium balance really, congnisant of road use and longer tracks. Visting multiple tracks (fast ones like combe, bedford and short ones like BH Indy, plus some Gurston sprints soon!) I will never get a perfect set to cover such variance. I've had different FD's and many cars over the years and you always find an issue here or there at different tacks, just something you have to deal with. Luckily with the forged build buzzing gears isn't an issue, I wouldn't spank hydraulics all the time but I could raise the limit to 8k to cover that. "when" I stick the R3 solid lifters in I'll be using an 8.5k limit - but that's down the list big time and I haven't decided what route I'll take on that yet.

Order of priority is now:
-Gearbox
-ECU
-Exhaust
-Get my bloody seats in!
-ITB's
-Suspension
-Some form of solid top end - probably modified lifters to suit current 403 hyrd profile cams like the R3 Maxi uses. Starting to think I won't bother with a R3 Maxi Evo style top end and all the fancy Ti retainers and double springs, VVT delete etc. Just too much money for not enough gain. Decent exhaust and ECU should see me making the right power for 403's, then ITB's will be the noise - power, give a ****, all about the noise!

Yes mate sure am, was going to msg you to see if you're going :thumbup1:

Might even wash it and hoover the inside, only a might though!

Is this months meon meet open to non ph'ers again? Seen there is a La ferrari going.

Would be good to see this yellow beast after it's transformation from a totally stock car last time :lol:

Last edited:
Is this months meon meet open to non ph'ers again? Seen there is a La ferrari going.

Would be good to see this yellow beast after it's transformation from a totally stock car last time :lol:

Come along for sure dude, yeah kind of open to non PH'rs really - just don't do an Aaron and post the meet up on Facebook for 800 people :wink: :lol:

I went to that Ph meet on monday it was a washout!

I couldn't make it mate, had 2 weeks of having the kids full time so no playing on a school night!

In other news though, I've ordered the short FD, expecting it to arrive today actually and I'll reveal to all where to source it once I've got mine in, fitted and I know works. Also just confirmed I'm buying the Quaife rather than Gripper. £650 delivered is a fair saving over the Gripper plus I know you don't get any issues with servcing, or understeer on corner entry which plate diffs can induce in fwd.
I know they aren't the best diff for outright performance but I'm not building a circuit or stage car here! I've had one before so know what to expect and there are no downsides which is the main thing. A lot of people bash on the fact if you lift a front wheel you get no drive like you would an LSD - but how often do you lift a front wheel and need to apply power, again I'm not racing.

Thats my next plan too mate. After combe @ fcs I had some pretty wide understeer, and R26 boxes are hard as hell to get hold of! :/ about £650 for a used one but then after labour kinda makes me think should I just follow suit and get a quaife hmm.

What box you on now, Clio? I'd probably want the Meg box if I was you because it's built to take the torque, getting away from the TL4 would seem like a good thing. Having said that though, I don't know what the ND0 box is like with it's synchros? Can't be worse?!
I would have potentially fitted an ND0 box now and swapped shafts and linkages over, but there are no suitable ratios or FD for a lower powered peakier NA engine.

Megane 225 box mate, I hated the clio box its too short for my taste after driving a boosted car lol.
Yes you're right the megane box is stronger so I've been told, its a good box baby smooth specially with the short shifter mod!!
If you haven't already I would highly highly highly recommend it, the linkage cant be that much different on the box side between the two?

Megane 225 box mate, I hated the clio box its too short for my taste after driving a boosted car lol.
Yes you're right the megane box is stronger so I've been told, its a good box baby smooth specially with the short shifter mod!!
If you haven't already I would highly highly highly recommend it, the linkage cant be that much different on the box side between the two?

Nah Meg box would be dreadful on mine because the ratios and final drive are so long, it would make the car much slower.

Unless you mean fit a short shift arrangement, that I am afraid though is a terrible idea on the TL4 dude! The syncros have a hard enough time lasting as standard let alone reducing the throw and rushing them further!

I'm gonna be putting 350hp through my clio box. I'm taking bets now :lol:

haha, good luck with that one! Though I've not heard of troubles other than the synchros? which is somewhat irrespective of power. Hows the standard open diff on them?

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0