LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

be good to watch someone else piss up money against the wall on these engines :smiley:

Hahahaha....true.

We shall see by the end of this year. Hopefully.

My AFR is not optimal (too rich) now so I'm counting on the intake, head work and a new remap to give that extra 10bhp at least.
However, when it comes to our cars, it can go both ways. :wink:

yup! it can, like the last change I made to the exhaust!! damn my finger is itching daily above the buy it now on the Akrapovic Evo!!!!!!! It's only a matter of time :w00t:

Hello mate, still lurking :smile: Anything going on at West Meon soon? - I need to have a scan through PH actually.
Whats the latest with your car nowadays?

I'm booked on at Combe, June 15th open pit lane day. BHP Trackdays - £199 I think it was.
I'm thinking of making a pilgrimage up north for the Renault day at Oulton Park - 25th Aug open pit lane. OR push the boat out and head to Spa on 3rd Sep..... probably go north to be fair!

Deep lurking, lol

there still space for Oulton, gonna go and look now. Sounds good idea. Mines still the same got loads more time now and trying to finally sort a few things. Think there might be PH event at Meon soon actually. Also a friend and myself looking at doing few sprint events now, license applications have been sent off

Nice, is that the national B non-race. Must send mine off - was it straight forward and just get forms online? - I need spoon feeding cus im such a lazy **** I'll never get around to it otherwise.

I wanted to do the Dick Mayo sprint at Combe. 25th July. Road going prod class - that what you intending on doing?

edit:
https://www.msauk.org/assets/2015competitionlicenceapplicationform.pdf
Well that was easy, even for a lazy git like me! Will print and send that tomorrow.

Just need to sort out membership with probably BARC so I can do Gurston etc aswell.

Last edited:
What exhaust shall I buy?

1) Akrapovic - though it'll need cutting to shorten so it fits on the manifold.
2) Custom BTB (£1200-£1500 +vat was their guide price!).
3) Custom Simpson Race exhausts (price unknown (emailed now) - probably be a grand or more as comparatrive to BTB).

I put a calliper on my exhaust today, it does reduce in bore just before the middle silencer, but not by as much as it looks. The OD of the 'decat' section is ~63.8mm, just before the silencer is ~63.2mm, and the supersprint pipe after the silencer is 65mm. So a little bit of a cluster **** and potentially why 10 of France's finest horses ****ed off, though it maybe the actual silencer is just ****? Perhaps they galloped off purley down to the altered fueling but regardless, I have little confidence in my current system and I think a nice consistenly sized bore item with decent quality silencers is the way forward.

Akra? I mean it's got carbon tips right! :smiley:

IMHO.....you've gone bespoke with everything else why now stick to the typical aftermarket (i.e. akra!)......go radical!!

True, I can get carbon tips from elsewhere for about £50 so I shouldn't be blinded by the bling!!

Just been reading on here actually about Akra's having blown silencers and replaced on warranty. Couple of people seem to have had multiple failures of both the middle and rear - very off putting even were it half the price frankly!

Hoping Simpson comes in under or on the grand and it's probably sold. I almost wonder if BTB were including a cat or manifold in that price because they also said they wanted the car about a week!!!

. I almost wonder if BTB were including a cat or manifold in that price because they also said they wanted the car about a week!!!

Strange wanting it for a week, not as if there are allot of complex bends involved. I've got a akra and not had any issues. But will probably drop this for a pucker race exhaust as part of this winter's upgrades.

akra for sound, bit cheeky that it isn't a 'true' cat back for the money you pay though. Its a cut and slip on job.

Or custom if it's cheaper, Longlife make bespoke ones too.

Looking to avoid the run of the mill custom places like longlife. Not on the same level as BTB, Simpson and also Primary Designs who I'll speak to pending the result from Simpson. I need a pukka race bred system built by people who know what they're doing, that way I'll know it's decent. I really want somewhere that'll calculate the optimum position of the first silencer, however both places said unless you're talking the most well tuned highly strung engine then it's not worth it? If that's the case then there is no compelling reason to use them if they are more expensive than the Akra.

How do you mean the Akra isn't a cat back though? It (the Evo version) replaces the cat and so is actually manifold back with a proper flange, no cutting. The slip-on is just the back box however it's only £150 less than the Evo version with system so I don't know who in their right mind would buy the slip-on!

Ah no, my exhaust needs replacing from the manifold back. Not just a backbox I need :worried: Thats technically the only good bit I have (Supersprint), but the ends a bit bashed so happy to replace and will sell on cheap here. The system I have will probably go in the bin!

What happended was I had the sports cat removed and a centre silencer installed after my poor result from first picking the car upo from E.D. In doing that took 10bhp away!! So when it went to RST, it was on the back foot regards power, a new fancy system should get the 10bhp back really. It might take a bit of map tweaking though, so I'll back to back the exhaust locally and see what happens and if it needs mapping badly I'll just leave it off until I get the standalone on.

I could just put the sports cat back on and buy another non-res supersprint centre for not alot. But it'll go back to sounding loud enough to wake the dead and crap (raspy) with it too :worried: Which is why I want something with proven gains and not too loud.

Rich, can you film your acceleration?

Yes, soon! I have finally ordered a camera and bits after about probably more than a year of looking!

Xiaomi-Yi-Camera-3.jpg
zoom-h1-001.jpg

Camera is a XiaoMi Yi. Got some GoPro mounts etc to mount it. Just hoping it'll turn up in time for my trackday on the 15th.

Audio is a Zoom H1, this will be mounted on a GoPro mount via the tripod hole. Stick it next to the induction and also in the rear number plate recess (with a windsheild), will dramatically improve the quality of the sound because all action cameras, even the super expensive ones sound ****.

Does mean my removable steering wheel fund is now empty, that and a couple of 32GB Mirco SD's just set me back £170 :worried:

Quick test of the new gear. Not bad for a first attempt, few tweaks to make for the next run though with input level on H1, camera position and find some software. I used a trial of Premiere Elements but it won't (or I can't get it to) sub-frame edit. So the H1 audio is about half a frame out of sync - annoying even though you can't tell in the finished video.

[video=youtube;9Yi2O4OXGBE]https://youtu.be/9Yi2O4OXGBE[/video]

Last edited:
What make is the cone? Or does that even matter? Sounds epic. Do you not miss out on the direct air feed from front grills? I'm sure you know what you are doing, just enquiring

It's a Green K4.80V, I specifically chose that one because it had more filter area than the Green filter used in the V6 airbox. It was about the biggest I could feasibly get in too.

There's a cold air feed, just make it out on the left edge, just some flexible hose that picks up off the OE plastic air feed - the part that runs from the other side in front of the inlet manifold.

My plan was to drop the coolant expansion tank down several inches and chop the section out of the front piece where the R3 Maxi Evo has the carbon scoop, as well as install some carbon sheeting to act as heat shields.
neimenovana-copy.jpg(where part 1 attaches cut out the slam there).

However as expected testing has shown no negative issues, certainly once above town speeds there is so much airflow over the engine anyway there is no issue. The removal of the OE battery has created a lot of space there.

I think I might stick the mic in the cabin because you don't the cracks and bangs out the exhaust which at times can be comically loud too!! Perhaps a trial run in the number plate recess is needed, but I'll need to tether it in case it comes off.

Long term I might even buy two H1's, then mix the tracks in post so I have induction and exhaust cracks, but that's a stretch beyond my editing skills for now!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0