LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

There you go mate!

• Catcam 403 cams
  • Catcam valve springs
  • Aros R3 exhaust manifold
  • Miltek/HJS 200cpsi Cat
  • Supersprint racing centre section
  • Supersprint racing rear silencer
  • Arrorw steel rods
  • ARP rod bolts
  • Supertech forged pistons
  • Supertech forged stainless inlet valves
  • Supertech Iconel exhaust valves
  • ITG Maxogen airbox
  • Odyssey PC950 battery
  • Steel flywheel

hope you get it sorted soon or might end up selling it as Rogue said which would be a shame since you've put a lot of hard work into this project and money...

Good work how the pistons compare to the clio r3 ones ?

I don't know about the R3 pistons, but these are 4032 alloy which is what you want for a road driven NA car. The other material typically used in forged pistons is 2618.
2618 is slighlty purer having less silcone, this means it can take a bit more of a beating (so you want these in turbo applications to handle the higher combustion temps), however as they have less silicone they expand more and therefore you need to gap the rings bigger. - This causes more wear and increased noise.

Just wondered as I have got the Renault sport r3 maxi 230 ones not fitted yet tho as am doing the whole job myself when I can find the time as I want to avoid the problems your having gaping the rings on the pistons is easy for me the r3 pistons use the std 200 road car rings anyway rings were something like 11 quid was the pistons that are dear. I will measure the bore and make sure there perfect I have done a few engines in my time but never for my self so am looking forward to it

The only way you'll avoid problems is if you build the whole engine using R3 parts. These are just not well catered for cars so you will likely be pioneering your own spec.
Now poor cam timing and mapping is likely been the issue with mine all along but the worst part is its not like I have a point of comparison vs a dozen other people running the same spec.

If you want my advice don't bother. Just spend the money on sticking a K20 and box in or just get a different car.
I thought I knew best and decided to ignore comments like this, but all I have so far to show for it is egg on my face!

I think I am just going to use all the r3 parts as for the 230 hp engine and save up and take my time to do it I wouldn't sell my car for the world I just need to get a aftermarket ecu to talk to all my standard dash ect as I don't believe anyone can map the std ecu properly for such a big power increase

I think I am just going to use all the r3 parts as for the 230 hp engine and save up and take my time to do it I wouldn't sell my car for the world I just need to get a aftermarket ecu to talk to all my standard dash ect as I don't believe anyone can map the std ecu properly for such a big power increase

Note that Simo says his 230 cams idle at 1400!! So if yours is to be a road car that might be a bit much cam? Good luck with it though mate.
As for ECU - well I would say wait and see what RST can do with mine. Although, Ktec are bringing out the Gen128 I believe end of summer as the target for a saleable product. If I still have the car I will look to make the change. But hopefully Paul can work some magic on the Renault/Sagem 3000 before then.

Yeah that's what am waiting to see on yours how it goes with the ecu I don't use my car as a daily just as and when I have the time so tick over is not so much of a problem

Note that Simo says his 230 cams idle at 1400!! So if yours is to be a road car that might be a bit much cam? Good luck with it though mate.
As for ECU - well I would say wait and see what RST can do with mine. Although, Ktec are bringing out the Gen128 I believe end of summer as the target for a saleable product. If I still have the car I will look to make the change. But hopefully Paul can work some magic on the Renault/Sagem 3000 before then.

You might take a look at Ecumaster Emu. It's fairly cheap, especially compared to high-end standalone ECUs like pectel or motec, but by any means does not fall short regarding number of features (DBW throttle body support, variable cam timing control, launch control, gear dependent shift light, flat shift, ALS, traction control, logging, autotune and so on)[FONT=Tahoma, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]and is being constantly developed based on users feedback. I think that JamSport is their distributor in UK. I will be installing one in my Clio in a month or two - just waiting for the rest of the goodies to come (although my engine will not be fully built like Yours, just simple mods like: cup racer inlet manifold with mechanical throttle body, cup/r3 airbox, schrick cams, complete cup racer exhaust including manifold - emptied one). Here in Poland this Ecu has become quite popular and is now used in many motorsport aplications and for all i know it does its job well, although not sure if Your mapper will be keen to program such ECU so better to take it into account first.
Good luck anyway.

There are various ecu's that'll do the job beautifully, the problem is getting it to communicate with the uch...

think that's why K-tec needs there time to make it all function like the oem ecu does

Well ED did the right thing and offered to take the car back, set the timing via dial gauge using the catcams tool (begs the question why it wasn't done that way first mind!). Also will sort the map but needs to pre arrange time with Henk again.

Just thought I'd post that as I'm always concsious of making sure this is factual and balanced - forums have a way of escalting I've seen before!!!

But..........sod that. It's going to RST as I decided a while ago - even though it'll cost me another £750. Even if I took them up on the offer I'd know it would need RST after anyway for the map/engine to be the best it can be. So all I'd be doing is saving a few hundred to set the cam timing. But when I factor in the time and petrol to get to ED etc, **** it, it's easier to just go straight to RST in the first place!!
Just sorting out a date but looking like end of April :smiley:

In other news:
-Inlet manifold posted to Pure Motorsport today, should be back end of next week. Won't be going mental on it, just basic port matching/shaping and removing casting marks really. I.e how they should have left the factory.
-V6 hose paid for via R Sport, so hopefully next week too. That means the last 2 jobs I hope will be sorted with a couple of weeks to spare before RST.
-Need to buy a few more sheets of carbon and a couple of meters of rubber edging to complete the heat sheilding.
-Also bought stainless upgraded Brembo pins. Rear brakes will be done this easter weekend I hope. Fronts not being done until I know I'm keeping the car so early May after RST. As if the car goes I'l be selling the discs as they are still brand new.

In other news:
-Inlet manifold posted to Pure Motorsport today, should be back end of next week.

Can you weigh the upper and lower manifold separately?

Mine is still on the car. TNX

Fingers crossed you get the car you should of had the first time arround. :wink:

Are you seriously thinking of selling Rich?

Yes mate for sure, if I don't get the levels of power I should get then of course it must go. I've spent a flipping fortune on this car and have -8bhp now to show for it! lmao!!

It's been so stressful and therefore completely unenjoyable this whole process. When I did a similar thing on my old Rallye the car was savage, over 200bhp per tonne and on road and track was mental! Not once did I question the fact I stopped counting receipts over £10k!!! I decided not to buy an E92 M3 in favour of spending a similar amount on the Clio (I just like silly tuned cars more than standard cars!!). At the moment I regret this decision every second but now having spent a ton of capital I can't really afford an M3 now to rub salt in the wounds!

So, if it doesnt make the power it'll be off in say 6months. Get a couple of qtr and year end bonuses and I'll push for an M3 or more likley, I have a hankering for 5.0 Mustang in Magnetic grey and my Recaro's would look sick in that :wink: Might get one anyway on a lease/PCP and keep the Clio - depends on the PCM. But at £33.5k it seems like a bargain of a car!

Can you weigh the upper and lower manifold separately?

Mine is still on the car. TNX

Fingers crossed you get the car you should of had the first time arround. :wink:

Yes mate will let you know when I come to work on it

I'll bet you that even if you get the power you were looking for at the first place you'll still sell mate. Even with 20bhp more the car will not be transformed, not even close to that 200bhp/ton you had on your Peugeot. In fact and after a few days it's not gonna make any difference whatsoever to you. I hope I'm wrong!

I'm 40bhp down at the moment though mate not 20, it's running 185 whereas it should be ~225. I'll be about 185/ton once done , the recaros, light battery , insane amounts saved through the exhaust manifold (wish I weighed it) and rest of the exhaust system lighter too. Def at least 30kg out the car.
not going to be over 200 like the Pug, but it'll be night and day compared to the **** it is now!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0