LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Just take out your knife and short the hose on each side by 1 or 2cm.

It's the angle of the pipe and nothing to do with its length in my experience.

I beg to differ. It made a great difference to my car.

its the angle of the pipe and not its length tbh in my experience. The outlet sits right behind the headlamp, how's it suppose to get additional air to it?

All cars are different I guess, I'm just going off my own experiences. I've said it before, some cars have more to give than others. It's common sense but if someone's car is making 180 standard, and they bolt a load of mods on, that might be nothing to do with the mods, just the car had more to give.

My Car made 197 standard. Mapped with match inlets, v6 airbox, 64mm TB, Miltek.....it made 205bhp. It obviously was a great car standard anyway and would have done that with a remap anyway.

Last edited:
My made 185bhp and with V6 airbox, Miltek and a remap made 195bhp.

Will post the dyno results with and without the V6 airbox.

Now I'm at 210bhp. At the moment.

Miltek and remap vs stock

Clio-197-stock-vs-Clio-197-Miltek--remap--KN-panel-filter.jpg

Miltek and remap vs Miltek and the same remap and V6 airbox

Clio-197---Miltek--V6-airbox--lightweight-flywheel--remap-VS-Miltek--remap.jpg

Miltek, remap and V6 airbox vs STOCK

Clio-197---Miltek--V6-airbox--lightweight-flywheel--remap-VS-STOCK.jpg

Tested it on the road and gained ~3 car lengths with the airbox if I remember correctly.

My made 185bhp and with V6 airbox, Miltek and a remap made 195bhp.

Will post the dyno results with and without the V6 airbox.

Now I'm at 210bhp. At the moment.

Each cars different but that would make it the most powerful non- cammed, standard engine 197 or 200 since I've been on here or anywhere else for that matter. You are either very fortunate or the RR your using is in need of being recalibrated.....I suspect the later but might be wrong.

The V6 airbox is a poor design to start with.....however, this is not a debate for this guys build thread

Last edited:
Each cars different but that would make it the most powerful non- cammed, standard engine 197 or 200 since I've been on here or anywhere else for that matter. You are either very fortunate or the RR your using is in need of being recalibrated.....I suspect the later but might be wrong.

The V6 airbox is a poor design to start with.....however, this is not a debate for this guys build thread

I have cams now, and it has 210bhp with cams and some other mods too.

We were talking about the impact of V6 airbox. And I have presented MAHA3000 dyno printouts. You can see the gains.
You have my thread, and can read about my mods.

I leave stock 197/200 by 100m in a 50-200km/h race.

The power was measured on the same dyno at a 3h time difference (this dyno had some issues with the weather addon and it showed lower mbar than it was so the corrected power results were higher than normal)

The other Clio is remapped.

[video=youtube_share;Ne2aR_-qBmw]http://youtu.be/Ne2aR_-qBmw[/video]

Last edited:
lol, thread rape!!

I'm not using the airbox as I've said (might have been another thread to be fair). I just want a good quality properly sized inlet tract without any 90deg bends. I am not moving my battery, the dry-cell one I have is nicely mounted on anti-vibration foam and not needing any changes to the wiring lengths/terminals.- So I'm very happy with how that sits. What is has done though is free up plenty of room for air flow to the general filter area, def not enough room for the V6 airbox - that would take a Mad Max supercharger scoop! lol
Instead I have found a green cone filter with more surface area than the V6 green filter, then I will be shielding off the engine bay with a **** ton of carbon.

So the plan of attack will likley be:
  • Base line the car again with the ITG first (where currently it has made 162 & 164 at the wheels on 2 different rollers)
  • Then I'll swap in the OEM airbox with k&n panel, and finally the v6 hose with green filter.
  • Once I've found the best filter, we will then swap the sports cat for a decat and check again.
  • Which ever makes the best power of the above 2 items will then remain for the testing of the flowed inlet (assuming I flow a 2nd item and not my current one)
  • Then will come re-timing the cams (possibly vernier on the exh if the 403 exh cam has the key way) and full re-mapping.

220bhp is the minimum target because at the end of the day I'm running 403's, High comps (12.5:1) and an R3 mani. If I was using genuine R3 cams it would be good for 227bhp (230cv). So as these are milder cams 220bhp should be a genuine fig. Plus all the going over the top on the rods, springs and valves means it should last there all day!

If I'm under 220bhp, then clearly 403's were the wrong cams and I will have to decide if I want maybe 404's or proper R3 cams. - Though I think by that point i'll just drive it in to a canal and blame the sat-nav!!! (that is a joke Greenlight Insurance - as I know you are on this forum!!) :smiley:

About a month and I should be good I would guess.

Cheers Paul, that's annoying though about the key. Cat do a non VVT set with roughly the same specs as the 403, could maybe strike a deal on just the exh cam. But I think if I was to change cams I'd go 404 inlet and equiv non VVT 404 exh. Paul at RST thought there was no need to ditch the VVT itself because there is 40 or 45 degrees of control via the ECU. Perhaps for big cams like you have it would help, but I think I would be best to try and retain it, for now at least!

Now I know I can't fit the vernier (been waiting over a week for that info!!) I'll speak to RST again, might do the cam cover trick now instead.

Yours looks like it hits a bottleneck at 7000, would have been good to see what it looked like just swapping to the R3 manifold. When are you getting your head back etc?

Cr is 12.5:1, ignition I wouldn't have a clue. Seems clear that the whole mapping/cam timing/ign timing needs revisiting though.

Looks like a proper build mate, hope you get the issues sorted and get the bhp's it deserves :smiley:

0130 (am) in Perth Australia - I was hoping by the end of the thread today it would be finished and 225hp!

Good luck.

Jayson

Thanks guys, seems a bit of luck is needed with these engines at times!!!

Anyway, car is booked in on Monday for the decat and also a centre silencer to be installed (may re-do the whole centre). One thing to be ticked off the list.
Just bought a spare inlet of eBay too, £60.20 delivered and it includes the TB and injectors, seems a bloody good deal. Means I can send it off to be ported and matched without taking the car off the road.
Monster sport should have an inlet pipe for me in the next day or 2, so some time next week that will be sorted.

Hoping therefore to have all the parts back and assembled in the next 2-3 weeks. By which point i'll schedule in a day with RST for timing and mapping.

Also my brakes arrived... after being a bit unsure due to not having longer HT bolts, I don't think it will matter - apparently a dutch Time Attack car is using these and Reyland say the OE bolts are fine. I wont lie, was a bit dissapointed not to see longer caliper bolts, but I'll evalute the bolt length and thread when I fit them.

IMG_3992-300x281.jpg

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0