knocking.(now sorted...page 5)

Jase

Same started on mine other day, clang suggested checking wheel nuts which i did. Removed wheel as i have spacers on, turned out one of the spaces the bolts where only finger tight :scared: Tightened up and the knock now gone.

Was same as yours, didnt happen all the time.

Check your spacer bolts if you use them.

Jase

Same started on mine other day, clang suggested checking wheel nuts which i did. Removed wheel as i have spacers on, turned out one of the spaces the bolts where only finger tight :scared: Tightened up and the knock now gone.

Was same as yours, didnt happen all the time.

Check your spacer bolts if you use them.

started with summer wheels...no spacers
still doing it with winter wheels and havent put spacers back on yet.
all wheel bolts are tight.

Possibly damage the spacers did? I was told not to fit the 25mm spacers due to the excessie leverage road shock would have on the bearings.

People have had knocking without ever having fitted spacers.
The spacers had bean off for a good few months before the knocking started.

It's deffinately not a bearing though as that would be more of a rumble, this is a knocking from a suspension component

Loose top mount? have you tried pushing the front end yourself to identify where its coming from?

Possibly the stiffer setup has damaged your top mount bearing?

My mates saxo literally crushed his needle rollers to dust with just stiffer springs.

sorry forgot to post...

took it into renault sheffield on 19/11/09.
granted they had it till 25/11/09 (nearly a week)
but at least they did what no other garage has manage, they fixed the knocking...:thumbup:

they checked every nut and bolt on the front end.
some of them on the suspension were not done upto their specified torque setting.
a strut mounting bolt in particular was way loose. they tried to tighten, but it wouldnt.
it looked like it needed a couple off washers, but when they tried to remove it, the top of the strut was just spinning. stripped front suspension and they finally managed to get the bolt out.
replaced the bolt and put a couple of washers under it.
it then torqued up to correct setting and the knocking has gone.

(this is roughly what the service lady told me, so it could be completely wrong) but i dont care, because the knocking has gone.:smile:
i didnt realise how much it really was getting me down and making driving the car a pain.

so it cost me £172.50 for a bolt and 2 washers but to me they are worth their weight in gold.
i know its alot, but for how long they had the car and how much time they put into it, its worth it to me.
plus it could have been much worse as the lower perfo joint that we thought it maybe was going to be £220 to replace.

good news mate.I wish all garages where that good down hear.it drove me mad when my was knocking and they kept saying nothing wrong sir.they had to put some kind of listening device on the front suspension to diagnose the problem. One year later it's fixed

to start with i was a bit doubtful as they werent to keen to touch it with it having coilovers. they didnt want to risk damaging them, as they couldnt replace them. but when i told them that we fitted them with no special tools they were fine about it.

hi jase,i have had a rattle coming from the back of my car for a few weeks now,it sounds worse when going over speed bumps but my local dealer cant find it either,reckons its my hi-fi install,so removed everything and its still rattling.:confused1:

hi jase,i have had a rattle coming from the back of my car for a few weeks now,it sounds worse when going over speed bumps but my local dealer cant find it either,reckons its my hi-fi install,so removed everything and its still rattling.:confused1:

If it sounds like a metal rattle check the back seats, fold them down and look where one metal part of the seat comes in contact with another or at least fold the seats and drive around for a while and listen if the sound is still there. This was a problem in my case.

If it sounds like a metal rattle check the back seats, fold them down and look where one metal part of the seat comes in contact with another or at least fold the seats and drive around for a while and listen if the sound is still there. This was a problem in my case.

Could be the center exhaust mounting, its a 2-piece jobbie, i had a knocking sound from mine and when i looked at the mounting it was way out of alignment. Loosened it off and aligned both parts properly and haven't heard it ever again.:thumbup:

Mine definately does the front end knocking thing which Jase had sorted. Im glad someone else has had this fixed because mine has been looked at on 3 separate occasions and they haven't found anything. I guess I'll just have to keep trying with them and try and get it sorted before the warranty runs out next December.

Also the boot catch has been loose too on my car!

Mines was knocking too, it was in yesterday getting a service and they told me they tightened the tailgate catch.. Knocking sound gone. :smile:

Mines was knocking too, it was in yesterday getting a service and they told me they tightened the tailgate catch.. Knocking sound gone. :smile:

Sorry for bumping the thread.

Can someone please take a picture of what I need to tightened in order to solve this knocking problem?

I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Bumping the thread as I'm having a mysterious knocking noise from the front left which has the dealers scratching their heads.

I've had everything checked and re-torqued, from the exhaust mounts to the heat shield to every bushing, ball joint, nut and bolt in the suspension, steering rack, top mounts etc.

The noise is still there. Its totally random, meaning I can drive over a speed bump or a bumpy road and not hear a thing and then it will clunk over a small pothole. Its most noticeable from inside the cabin.

The dealer said that the only logical explanation is a problem with the shock absorber itsself, however there is no oil leaking and it performs fine.

So the only solution is to start replacing things until the knocking goes away, starting with the shock absorber.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I embark on this endeavour (and with the car only 2 months old :worried: )!

i wudnt repalce things mate. is ure car PCP? put up with it for the rime u own the car then sell on. dont spend money u dont have to.

The car is new, 2 months old and with 2500 miles on the clock. Since its under warranty, I will have the problem resolved, one way or another.

I just don't want to have my brand new car sitting dismantled at a dealer's garage for weeks on end with no results...