Clio 197 knocking, speed bumps, pulling away, braking at low speeds.

Hi guys
Wanted to do a little write up on an experience iv had with my 197 which may be helpful as iv seen this brought up alot..

For the last 2 years I had developed the lovely knock on the near side front while going over speed bumps, pulling away and also it would appear while braking at low speeds and while turning the steering wheel left and right while stationary. I have asked numerous garages to check for this misterious knock and all have told everything is solid I at the front end. Car had always passed the mot with reference to the knocking, BUT it would drive me completely around the bend. The knocking over speed bumps and under breaking I could live with but the weird knock while pulling away would absolutely drive me nuts. I even considered the gear box mount, exhaust , and even drive shafts or steering rack were going as the knock seem like it was at the centre of the car while pulling away. Done some searching myself this week and noticed the near side anti rotation link knocked when I tugged it, the movement was very very small and once it moved it would kind of lock and wouldn't be movable again until I slightly moved the car or turned the wheel. I sourced these parts at my local motor factor. Renault charge around £35 per side but I found them for £13 a side. Renault list the part as an anti rotation link but i found most motor factors listed them as a stabaliser link, other factors could be different. At that price I decided bigger it and changed both. I kind of expected the near side speed bump knock to disappear but when I drove it for the first time my jaw absolutely dropped. Every knock has gone, the car feels absolutely amazing, like a new car. The steering feels solid like iv never felt it before. How can one little thing with barely any movement cause so many knocks. I'm amazed and actually enjoy driving my Clio again. Amazing. So if anyone is experiencing the same symptoms then get underneath and give those links a good tug back and for.

Great news mate :smile:

Have you got a photo of the part you changed and a link to where you got them from mate?

Sorry for the poor spelling and wording. I used my phone to

Have you got a photo of the part you changed and a link to where you got them from mate?

This is the anti rotation link/ stabaliser bar. I got mine from Bridgend motor factors who are based in South Wales. Most motor factors sell these and also there are plenty of places online if you know what to look for. The Renault part number is 8200686016.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190518-070953.jpg
    Screenshot_20190518-070953.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Mossy

https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/8200686016.html

Check this link out. Delphi sell this part for less than £10. Not sure how great the quality is but the Renault ones don't seem great quality either so even if the cheaper ones last 2-3 years I think it's still worth it..the difference it makes to the car is insane.

Reactions: rcwsr and Mossy