knocking.(now sorted...page 5)

Mine has a metallic knocking sensation felt through the steering wheel when cornering under power on a bit of crappy road. I thought this was the N/S steering arm as there was a little bit of play in it, so i changed it myself, but it still does it!!

Mine has a metallic knocking sensation felt through the steering wheel when cornering under power on a bit of crappy road. I thought this was the N/S steering arm as there was a little bit of play in it, so i changed it myself, but it still does it!!

what was it like to change - bit of play in the n/s of mine and need to do it - a quick run down of wht you did etc would be great :thumbup1:

what was it like to change - bit of play in the n/s of mine and need to do it - a quick run down of wht you did etc would be great :thumbup1:

Quite easy really, remove the track rod end and steering gaiter then i had to make something to enable the removal of the side-rod as there are no flats on it to get a spanner on.

What i did was to get a piece of thick walled tube just bigger than the side-rod diameter and drill and tap around the circumference every 120 degrees to put some 6mm bolts in which enables you to tighten them down on to the side-rod and screw it off.

A little hard to describe but looks something like this:-http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=79776&group_ID=1626&store=uk&dir=catalog

You can then simply unscrew the side-rod and fit the new one. I cleaned the threads of the steering rack and the new side-rod and applied a bit of Loctite. Fit back the gaiter and track rod end - job done!!

Took me less than an hour, any questions i'll do my best to answer them.

thanks - know exactly what you mean - renault have a special tool for it - might be able to do the same with some of those pipe grip pliers for getting in on sink basins the ones with the 90deg end on :thumbup1:

will buy the rod first and see what i have at home or the workshop :thumbup1:

had a bit of play in my n/s too.
had it changed last week but didnt solve the knocking as im sure thats coming more from the o/s.

i wonder if its a very small amount of play in perfohub top and bottom ball joints ?

well not a happy chappy.!
thats another garage that cant find the problem.
they can hear it, but have checked everything and it all seems fine.

may have to be a trip to the dealers... :worried:

or do i just trade it in and get shut.?

Mine has the same problem, recently developed, from nearside.

I too have coilovers and maybe its connected to that fault.

so frustrating aint it jase when you know that there is a fault and they cant find it, hope you can get it sorted mate,

if not and you do decide to trade it in, first dibs on the front ( jase ) splitter please, :drool:

you have to be careful they dont start changing parts in order to find the fault

if you have coilovers in theory it cant be the damper or spring so you have left -

top suspension mounts
steering rack
wishbone bushes
perfohub top and bottom ball joints
front toe links
anti-roll bar links
anti-roll bar bushes

Interesting Si.

That's potentionaly 8 trips to dealers if they change 1 thing at a time just trying to guess the problem away. :worried:

how many of these parts do you recon you could change yourself.?
And any ideas on rough prices.?

Interesting Si.

That's potentionaly 8 trips to dealers if they change 1 thing at a time just trying to guess the problem away. :worried:

how many of these parts do you recon you could change yourself.?
And any ideas on rough prices.?

the anti roll bar / links you dont need to change to illiminate them - you can just disconnect them

as for the others - hardest will be the rack i would say - apart form the perfohub ball joints - think these need to be pressed out

one idea - those that have the "clonking noise" do you all have lowered suspension ????

thanks Si.
Might have to look at some of them next Saturday at SSC.

I know donna didn't when she had the knocking.

If its any help to anyone or not but my problem was caused by a flatspotted tyre, presumably from it sitting in the garage too long whilst i've been away.

Strangely only the one failed with the problem, just gonna live with it til i can replace, its like driving with a 50pence tyre at low speed.

thanks Si.
Might have to look at some of them next Saturday at SSC.

I know donna didn't when she had the knocking.

Correct for the first year i had the car it wasnt lowered and i had problems like this.. I will find out exactly what was changed.. I know i have basically had the whole suspension replaced and it went away for a bit but its back again.

I am going to put it in to a garage that i know (the guys a qualified renault tech) and see if he can pin point the problem as i want to go straight to the dealers with all the information i can to get it sorted again!