knocking.(now sorted...page 5)

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
got a knocking that seams to be coming from the front drivers side suspension
mainly when dropping off speed bumps, but can be anything that makes it knock.
started about 6 months ago but gradually getting worse.
had it to a garage twice now and they cant find anything wrong. luckily not charged me as they havent solved the problem.
got it booked in at a different garage for this friday.
anyone else had any problems.?

Last edited:
take it they ave checked th obvious, top mounts, drop links, roll bar bushes etc?

knocking

I've got the same mate and took it to the main dealers and they couldnt find a problem and i wouldnt say that they were trying to pull a fast one as they have been great on other warranty issuse! So keep us informed of your garage venture!!

havent really had much problem with 197's with knocking at my place will talk with the techs tomrrow see if they have any ideas

There are rubbers between the bottom of the spring and the 'cup' they sit in, check if these have shifted, and you getting a metal against metal knock...

I've got the same mate and took it to the main dealers and they couldnt find a problem and i wouldnt say that they were trying to pull a fast one as they have been great on other warranty issuse! So keep us informed of your garage venture!!

same here the problem is is comes and goes

Yeh to start with mine seemed to come and go.
Some times I tried to avoid bump so it wouldn't do it but then other times it was like I couldn't make it do it.
But now it's getting worse and drives me up the wall sometimes, all most at the the point were I'm starting to not like driving her. :worried:

May seem obvious, but has the coil/shock still have oil in it? On my polo I had terrible knocking from rear and if was due to the fact that it was empty.

depends what make they are and if they come apart - wouldnt be a diy job thats for sure

Yeah coils can be refurbed, but nit sure where etc, alot of the time it's a manufacture thing, sure way to check is get it of and see how easy it is to move the rod, ie push it in with little or no force. Another way to check is jack up and check the coil, if it's covered in gunk around coil then it be leaking.

Not noticed any leaking tbh and only jacked it up the other weekend to raise it slightly.
The standard shocks leaked on my mk4 golf and the car went really bouncy, not felt any difference in the 197 lately.

I had knocking from that area and i had loads replaced.. then they discovered it was the steering rack that was broken. Not sure if any is related but helped my issue

I had knocking from that area and i had loads replaced.. then they discovered it was the steering rack that was broken. Not sure if any is related but helped my issue

inner track control arm by any chance !