Here we go again! Thinking of selling the 197?

Any regulars of the site will know that I've had my car up for sale and removed twice in the past 4 years now. Once tempted by a civic type R in the early days of my standard 197, and secondly by a megane 250. In both occasions I came to my senses after a b road blast and chose the old gurl over fresh metal.

Now my latest obsession, abit of a guilty pleasure i'll admit, a Nissan 350Z. These are coming cheap now with a low miler around the 10k mark. I've had the pleasure of driving one before and they are fantastic. Massively torquey engine makes speed effortlessand the soundtrack is amazing ( but not a touch on my ITB'd 197 :wink: ) and I luv the driving position.

Anyway someone tell me I'm being bonkers or alternatively get your bids in for my Clio lol :tongueout:

P.s I was also looking at RX8s.....?

Personally I don't think you can get anything quite as fun on the B roads as one of the Clios (1*2, 197/200) with Cup chassis. Only thing for me that ever came close were the two 106 rallyes.

It's you call though - whatever makes you happy and what you want from a car.

One of the guys at my work had a 350Z and it's a completely different beast to the 197. 2 door coupe/roadster vs hatch. Larger engine CC, higher running costs etc etc. Sure you know all this.

I have always been tempted by an 'Integra' Type R but they're a little old in the tooth now. 1 Series M sport?

RX8s are a massive money sink apparently... really unrealiable and you'll probably go through as much oil as you will petrol...

I've been told they're better on longer journeys, but if you're just pootling around town and over shorter distances the mpg is horrendous.

Far worse than the clio...

Do it, then these threads will stop popping up :tongueout: lol

On a serious note, go with what your happy with. But seems a bit of a waste after the thousands you've recently spent?

Rx8's are rubbish, my dad had one, engine went at 60k!! Gutless as well!

Having owned a 350Z a while back for 18months or so I have to say I don't miss it one bit in hindsight....

Good points:
Looks
Soundtrack
Great Brembo brakes (GT Version)
Lovely RAYS alloys (GT Version)
Nice heated seats (GT version)
Old muscle car character

Bad Points:
Highest tax band.
Rubbish interior.
Rubbish 'Bose' stereo that is actually a Grundig!! (GT Version)
Pathetic in the snow/winter.
Nissan dealers/prices.
Never really felt that fast tbh.
Most have a few niggley probs....corroding alloys, some drank oil, CD players skipped etc. It probably wont be under warranty so not cheap to fix.

Tad overated in my opinion but as they have dropped so much in price some of the bad points could propably be overlooked.

You pays yer money......etc :thumbsup:

your choice but the 350 wont be as nippy on the twisty roads...

for me if i was going to cahnge it would be....

integra dc5 or magane 250 + cup

your choice but the 350 wont be as nippy on the twisty roads...

^This x10
I guess i should have summarised my previous post as:

Once the honeymoon period of mid-range torque and a wailing V6 has worn off, 350Z's just aren't.....that much fun tbh. (Unless you are bombing down B roads most of the time).

Do it mate, the Clio is not the only car that can go around a corner fast contrary to popular belief.

Have you looked at a VX220? 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, they have come down in price over the years and look mean as ****.

The 350's are very appealing and look mint with the nismo kit and some deep dish wheels but your 197 will be quicker in a straight line (without NOS too).

Gota love the noise though. (Clio V6 :wink: ?)

Theres also the fact you know your car, how well its been maintained etc... Unless you find a total steal I would hold onto the 197.

370z would be brilliant, havent driven one but drove the 350 which was bliss, can only be an improvement.

If your thinkin RX8, easier if you just give me your money and spend it on pants. Money pit that although looks quick is anything but. We [lads in work] raced a RX8 (high powered one) against a 172 and it had no chance. That was on a straight road, dual carriage way. I didnt expect it so was sitting in mazda, getting destoryed, and the driver of the mazda owned it so was really going for it for his pride. Pride shattered by a £2000 trade clio.

the ammount of time effort work and not to mention money you've put into her ben will be a huge waste if you sell up mate!

I had a meg on test a while back in act now i have had two on test for a while and i like them they are quick ( ish ) nothing special but its the brakes and things which suffer from the excess weight etc

plus you need to think about use

if you buy the meg you will map it , cooler etc 300-310 ish bhp but will have all the same heat managment issues of a big turbo car , which is not an issue but might be expensive to run as i found out . . .

but judging from a previous thread where you said you could not afford to forge internals on the clio engine would the new car be a finance option ? why not just get one on finance and keep the 197 as a project , matt will have it back up and running in no time im sure if i know Matt .

Youve got a well sorted car there that you have ploughed a serious amount of cash into so why not just keep it after all i imagine you will loose a fair few £1000'2 if you were to sell or sell and split . ?

Ben this is the 3rd time so I would get rid mate I would if your heart isn't in it anymore :thumbsup:

A 350Z aint a car I'd get rid of to replace the 197 tbh.

Also think of the money you'll lose in the Clio.

Really like the dc5 but it would be a step down from bens car as standard it's the same as a Clio ie high revving naturally aspirated engine with a great chassis which Ben seems to be bored off (correct me if I'm wrong) a meg would be a good replacement but as said before rx8 are appalling unless you smash a turbo on it lol

See ur clio mate! So I can buy ur throttle bodies and LSD :tongueout: . Not a fan of 350z, think there overrated but each to there own.

Similar Thread Suggestions