Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
56 reg 197

on original box [but i did buy it as a used vehicle ] on 42000 seems o/k..does have problem engaging gear on startup
took back in under warranty...adjusted linkage....no better

22,000 miles and it just started one day as you go into 4th. worse going down from 5th or 6th than going up from 3rd but as soon as i felt it i knew what it was. expecting a bit of a battle with the dealer as their default setting seems to be "your just the public, what do you know" or "there's nothing wrong with that, they're all the same".

Mine has recently got the 4th gear crunch. Fired off a complaint email to Renault UK asking them what they'd like to do about it given that it is a common fault. Not feeling optimistic with what they'll come back with!

edit: can anyone offer advice on what line to take the RUK in order to get them to play ball with replacing their chocolate gear box?

Last edited:
I really donno why would you need a new gearbox? if it doesnt let you change the gears it is not nessesary to change the whole gearbox. I have had the problem with the third gear, it didnt let me change at hi revs, and all i did, i changed the Gear sinhron, changed the oil and it works perfect now.. Why are u all into changing the whole box ? The sinhron costs in RENAULT 45euros.

Original box @10700 miles. however it makes funny noises sometimes. A dealer i trust says ok(drove car and checked gearbox oil) at the moment but they know of issues so ill have no problems getting it sorted when it does go.

Mine has recently got the 4th gear crunch. Fired off a complaint email to Renault UK asking them what they'd like to do about it given that it is a common fault. Not feeling optimistic with what they'll come back with!

edit: can anyone offer advice on what line to take the RUK in order to get them to play ball with replacing their chocolate gear box?

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the chocolate gearbox club.

Firstly I doubt you will get the response you would like by email, I have always been fobbed off not just by Renault but all companies over email. Best way is to phone them and make a fuss.

Is your car still under warranty? If so take it to a dealer and get them to check it over, if its not that's where it starts to get a little more complicated and you might have a fight on your hands.

If they deny there is a problem I am more than happy to supply you with my reg so they can cross reference it on the system, sure a few of the other lads will do the same.

Good luck and keep us posted.

40.000 Km sinhrons on 3 and 4 gear, and gear selector. :blink: (no visual sign of wear, just noice)

Last edited by a moderator:
its an 08 so has no warranty :worried:

Phone Renault UK and complain that as its a known issue they should help pay for some of the costs. A number of people outside their warranties have been helped foot the bill.

Phone Renault UK and complain that as its a known issue they should help pay for some of the costs. A number of people outside their warranties have been helped foot the bill.

just found a tl4024 box thats new and cheap but not sure what the difference is between that and the tl4003

Have same problem, 4th gear crunching and sometimes 3rd makes a sort of pop noise?

Booked for weds morning, the lady on the phone said they would plug in and run diagnostics? Im not a mechanic but not sure what this will do?

Im dreading it wont do it if they drive the car.
Happy to have refurb rather then new box, just want it to be fixed!!

will report back what they say.