Has anyone had a gearbox issue sorted by RRG?

Just dropped my 197 into Renault Retail Group to fix the dreaded crunching/grinding when selecting 4th gear.

I know it's going to be a big job to strip the gearbox and replace the 4th synchro (service manager said 3 days), however they will not offer a courtesy car, only a hire car for £20 a day.

What are other peoples experiences with this? I know it's only a small sum, but it will add up over the few days it takes to repair, and as it's a warranty issue I should be provided with a free replacement, no? :nope:

UPDATE: RUK will be covering the costs. Received fantastic customer service from Mariam Arif, wish all dealerships could take this as an example, as it would save the battle in the first place.

I never got a courtesy car from Renault. Glad you got good service, mine has always been appalling, they had my car for 4 days when the fuel pump went due to them cocking up on parts ordering, I had to get a lift home and no courtesy car. They then had my car for over a week due to an oil leak. Again they wanted to charge me for a courtesy car so I just went without. Luckily I had use of works van both times but its really beyond a joke!

If the dealership is giving you grief, going above them to RUK seems to be the way forward. Courtesy cars should be a given if the car is undrivable and they're admitting that it's a warranty issue...

If the dealership is giving you grief, going above them to RUK seems to be the way forward. Courtesy cars should be a given if the car is undrivable and they're admitting that it's a warranty issue...

I got bored very quickly with arguing with Renault about their crappy service, car is out of warranty now so will never see another Renault dealership, neither will I ever buy another new renault. **** service all round from them TBH.

Shame as I LOVE my car!!!

Anyway I'm going OT now lol

Mine went in a few weeks ago for a few days, they did provide a courtesy car......all be it a 1.2 Twingo! when you spend nearly £18k on a car you'd expect more than that! and they said it would cost £12 per day, which i plainly refused and they let me have it for nothing :smile:, then when i dropped it off they said i had to replace the fuel i'd used, which i also refused and got away with. IMO if i have a car which is only 5 months old and needs to go in for a few days then they should give me a DECENT courtesy car for FREE!

"another" gearbox.....:nope:

When I had mine replaced I know of another 3 that went in to have theirs replaced at the same place after me, one was a 200 as well.

Worrying times if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

Glad you are getting it replaced though, hopefully it will be done quickly, they had my car for 5h, dropped of in the am and picked up at closing time.

What is this fault with the gearbox anyway? Mine occasionally is a little funny going into 4th, when im pushing it it sometimes just wont go in. Though I always put it down to my driving lol

When I had mine replaced I know of another 3 that went in to have theirs replaced at the same place after me, one was a 200 as well.

Funny, RUK or the dealer don't recognise this as a common fault. When I was demonstrating the problem to the tech this morning, I changed from 6th to 4th and he told me that was an unnatural gear change and it's my driving style that he caused the 'wear and tear'. Worn gearbox synchro's after 17k?! He also mentioned that the old-style laguna boxes were temperamental, but the TL4's are fine. This is what I've come to expect from the dealer...

Funny, RUK or the dealer don't recognise this as a common fault. When I was demonstrating the problem to the tech this morning, I changed from 6th to 4th and he told me that was an unnatural gear change and it's my driving style that he caused the 'wear and tear'. Worn gearbox synchro's after 17k?! He also mentioned that the old-style laguna boxes were temperamental, but the TL4's are fine. This is what I've come to expect from the dealer...

what a load of bull poo !!!!!!!!!!! did you tell the techie to go do one - a gearbox is made to "change gear" its a good job i aint around think i would give them a lesson in gearbox operation :nope:

My car was in after a month of having it its had over £3000 of work done to including the gear box,fuel pump,door seals etc and never had a problem once with renault think this is due to it been a ex press car and it has vids on you tube gettin the arse ripped out it so a think thats why everything gets repleaced lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Dez
Mine is in with Renault for exactly the same issue at the minute. They're saying it's going to be next Wednesday before they get the part, so next Friday before I get the car back! Mine has failed after 16k miles, grinding into 4th gear from all other gears above 3,000rpm.

I've got a 1.2 courtesy car as a replacement, so I made a call to try and get a better spec car...."we don't do that sir".

My car will have been at the stealers for 3 out of the last 4 weeks lol....albeit under warranty but still terrible imo...