GW 200 CUP (clubsport->racecar->v2)

Ah, well I have solution for that (hopefully). I'll be updating my blog tomorrow. We've already talked about it on Instagram but I've had the work done and will report back once I see the car (with pics).

Reactions: LiamP
Ah, well I have solution for that (hopefully). I'll be updating my blog tomorrow. We've already talked about it on Instagram but I've had the work done and will report back once I see the car (with pics).
Ohh exciting :thumb:

This is made trickier by the fact the aftermarket valves have the collets around 1.2mm higher than standard, love to know why as it’s a real pain.
I feel that it should be to allow longer springs and extra lift (with adequate pistons) without spring bind?
(or did I interpret your words the wrong way?)

I feel that it should be to allow longer springs and extra lift (with adequate pistons) without spring bind?
(or did I interpret your words the wrong way?)
Yeah that would make sense but all the aftermarket springs recommend ~30kg seat (super tech/cat cams) to get correct pressure at lift which equals around 34mm installed height the problem is stock is around 35.5 so you are close to 3mm off. This would all make sense to me if the collet was 1.2mm lower instead.

Taking advantage of the new unit I have been able to get a few hours here and there over the past few weeks.

IMG_8663.jpeg

IMG_8666.jpeg

First up was main seal, once on the crane I used a £10 piece of Perspex tubing which worked great in getting the seal to sit straight, left it about 2mm out as per the original. Flywheel, clutch and gearbox then bolted back up, I am now where I was 4 months ago!

IMG_8676.jpeg

IMG_8675.jpeg

IMG_8680.jpeg

Managed to then fit the engine on my own without too much drama, mounts all torqued and manifold fitting perfectly with fresh studs and gasket.

IMG_8707.jpeg

Driveshafts installed, linkages back on and clutch bleed with a strong pedal, everything was going well, too well. Decided to stop and start double checking things, looked at the exhaust and thought ‘no cats, that’s going to flow well’, ‘no cats’ ah fcuk. I obviously need a cat to meet MSUK regs, I am going to blame it on the hit to the head as I have somehow missed this.

Obviously not an easy fix as the PMS manifold has the longest secondary’s known to man and I have already had to chop about 300mm off the Akra to make it work as is, I am therefore left with this:

IMG_8725.jpeg

My plan is to purchase a 200 cell cat and weld in before the Akra resonator. However this will also likely involve shifting the resonator downstream a few cm to make it work. No expert but I imagine this will probably affect the sound but shouldn’t impact performance (I hope) as it looks the current position is based on space.

Moved onto the front support / alternator to find my pulley bracket has bent in the crash. I had hoped replacing just the pulley was enough but the bracket is out by a degree or two and I don’t fancy risking that!

IMG_8719.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

Continued building up the engine with new plugs, fresh gaskets on the inlet manifold and everything torqued to spec.

IMG_8726.jpeg

IMG_8728.jpeg

Almost ready to start putting fluids in, although absolutely terrified of starting it.

Last edited:
Good progress as always, surprised to hear you need a cat to meet regulations! Always assumed a straight through exhaust was standard in a race series.

Good progress as always, surprised to hear you need a cat to meet regulations! Always assumed a straight through exhaust was standard in a race series.
Yeah I know, I think any car manufactured after 2000 needs one fitted, heard stories of mass cars being DQ because of this so not going to risk it.
Live stream the first start, we’ll join you with everything crossed
Christ, might need a few adverts for when the knocking starts…

Is that a PMS exhaust manifold?
Yeah

I understand, but that would make it closer to spring binding. Are there not any longer springs available?
Sorry missed this, not that I am aware of, getting beyond my knowledge but I would assume longer springs would solve a few things but also be heavier. From memory the CatCams double valve springs have a 2mm lower retainer, at a guess its as though they have used parts off the shelf and made them work.

After realising I needed a cat I shot a message to Lee at Piper to see if they had anything suitable and replied with this photo.

IMG_8716.jpeg

A small 100 cell and a larger 200, on paper it looked like the 100 would be better but consulting the bible (four-stroke performance tuning) the shape of the 200 is a lot more suitable. From a google search it also seems 100 cell might not pass an emissions test (scrutinisers do this) / they tend not to last long. 24 hours later and it had arrived so another shout out to Piper

IMG_8731.jpeg

Dropped off at a local welders and he managed to get it to fit without moving the res, another 24 hours and it was back on the car, very happy with this setup assuming it doesn’t blow.

IMG_8734.jpeg

IMG_8735.jpeg

IMG_8739.jpeg

Alternator and idler pulley now on, using the original alt (I have 4 in various states) that was giving me low battery warnings as the old took a bit of damage..

IMG_8662.jpeg

IMG_8740.jpeg

Loom now fully connected and everything seems to be working ok.

IMG_8748.jpeg

Rad / fan that I got with the shell all hooked up, even had the plastic tabs which is a nice upgrade to the cable ties I was using.

IMG_8747.jpeg

Ready for fluids and to see if we have oil pressure..

As a word of caution don't forget to put the alternator brace bar back on others seem to fit aircon delete brackets and break them as there is not much to stop the alternator twisting.
1691330772709.png

Currently in the engine bay hoping you are not going to tell me it can’t be disabled / removed from the ECU map..
I’m not sure to be honest. I don’t have one but I run a wideband sensor and an aftermarket ECU

Currently in the engine bay hoping you are not going to tell me it can’t be disabled / removed from the ECU map..
I believe my Meglio has the second sensor ignored in the mapping, Meg ECU is same as a Clio so should be possible.