GW 200 CUP (clubsport->racecar->v2)

Looks epic, Its a brilliant feeling when it all comes together for the first time.

Personally not massive on the holes in the top of the bumper though. And by not massive, I mean whoever did it needs shooting.

Reactions: Sean197 and LiamP
I agree on the holes, removing them might be tricky/expensive but maybe a winter project.

What are you doing with the car next? Test day on track?

Dyno, geo and then full send, assuming the engine doesn't explode, very nervous not going to lie.

Andy's really good in that respect, he had more power out of mine but dialled it back because he didn't want to risk a high mile engine. Seeing 211 must have been a relief considering you've only just built the engine!

Reactions: LiamP
Andy's really good in that respect, he had more power out of mine but dialled it back because he didn't want to risk a high mile engine. Seeing 211 must have been a relief considering you've only just built the engine!
Yeah certainly a relief :coldsweat:

For those that want the highlights:

5O4j3iH3H1ekbC1uiLmoeV4v-transformed.jpeg
  • The car weighs ~1030kg dry
  • I finished a track day without crashing
  • Handling is the best its been
  • Direzzas are a cut above AR1’s
  • I have a compression problem

Geo

Dropped the car down to NADUK for him to work his magic, was supposed to be a few hours but he spent almost the entire day on getting things right. The beam was off but with some swapping of the shims he was able to get it back to where it was and an extra bit of camber. On the front we increased the camber to 4 degrees and slightly more toe out at 1mm. Dropped the ride height back down to where I had it been last year / cup racer base, as I was confident the bump issues had been solved.

IMG_9024.jpeg

Onto the scales and it was weighing at around 1030kg with the fuel taken out which is roughly what I expected. Very light for a mk3, however I think I could still remove/reduce a fair amount of weight if required going forward.

IMG_9025.jpeg

Had a few small things to fix/add to ready for a shakedown, rear view mirror, harness, seat position etc.

The ABS pump had been sat empty so I knew I was in for some fun, refusing to pay for CLIP I decided to see if I could get ddt4all to work. Once I had downloaded the ECU libraries it was actually very easy to use, the only annoying thing to deal with is that it’s all in French. However I found the ABS module and was able to start/stop the 4 solenoids whilst bleeding, lots of air came out, must have pumped through 1ltr of fluid per calliper before I got a pedal.

IMG_9070.jpeg

I then checked through the 4 ABS / wheel speed sensors and the steering angle as I was worried I had bolted it back up 180 degrees off but it was showing zero.

IMG_9074.jpeg

Started working on the updated dash, inspired by what you see in touring cars I wanted something simple that would still be there when upside down.

IMG_9088.jpeg

Concerned with the low power I did a quick compression test (cold) and was greeted with 150psi across each cylinder, jumped up to 170ish with oil. Concerning but the engine had only done 15 miles so the rings still needed time, chatting with Andy and Alex the plan was to just send it.

IMG_9032.jpeg

IMG_9036.jpeg

Brands Hatch Track day

Very busy, the briefing room was full and must have been about 50% race teams. Spent the morning taking things slow, plan was to just run the engine in and see what falls off. Once I got to about 70 miles down I started pushing things, at this point it was obvious the engine wasn’t performing.

IMG_9115.jpeg

EifPgNSvKPSTKFbYgLUKT8mL-transformed.jpeg

Looking at the data my top speed into paddock was about 4 mph down, 106 vs 110 before braking, this is with a difference of around 70kg+ factoring in fuel and not even including the engine changes. Obviously I have a big wing which will be impacting things but I was expecting to be considerably faster. Interestingly its at the higher speeds the engine struggles vs before, once into 5th there is just nothing. To put this into context I was struggling to overtake MX5's, it felt like the power was around 190..

jveqhhL2ebroZgFxWaSrsJUy-transformed.jpeg

The day was full of red flags, must have been at least 3 cars that had engine issues resulting in 1/3 of the track being covered in oil each time. My favourite was the blue 1*2 that decided to finish the lap after a very obvious engine failure into Graham Hill.

vUmqd9aeGkc2lAYrZRVGxjAw-transformed.jpeg

uITqLu3643NvYeqljCZOXJlO-transformed.jpeg

Oil temp was steady at 100 degrees and pressure of around 4.6-4.7 bar under load, not sure how this compares to others?

CSTxerxCSPzWqyBAysGwl2Lk-transformed.jpeg

Niggles
  • Minor rubbing on front/rear bumper
  • Bonnet likes to flap about in the wind, solved with some cable ties but might need to fix this properly
  • Need door pulls
  • Impossible to see clocks due to wheel / dash
  • Seat needs to be slightly higher
  • Gear knob likes to fly off
  • Brakes are potentially over cooled, air temp was low and I wasn’t pushing things so might leave for now
  • Low battery warning, expected as this is my old alternator however starting to think the regulator issues is directly related to high RPM, might look at a larger pulley for the alternator
  • Brake/throttle pedals are way to close together, will either modify or switch back to my old as I had zero confidence on what pedals my feet where actually on
  • It’s really loud (inside)
  • High air intake temps 31 deg+ on track, this is with the airbag behind the light, wanted to test flipped but didn’t get time
  • Intermittent EPS fault and I am not 100% sure ABS is working, I think this is a connection issue as revving the car seems to flick it on/off

Positives
  • Nothing fell off or overheated
  • Gearbox / diff survived the crash and feel great
  • Handling
  • Lowered the damping on the rear and the car felt a lot more balanced on the curbs/various bumps BH has
  • Weight, needed to recalibrate when on the brakes as you can leave it so so so late, once I have some power this will be fun
  • Direzzas are so much better than AR1’s, expected but they behave more like AO48’s by letting go progressively when they reach the limit. AR1’s like to just let go and screech you off the track, with the Dunlops you still have some grip to fix things. Combined with the frontend the limit has been raised and driver needs to catch up.

Engine

Compression test after the track day showed worse results, did a leak down test and it’s all pointing to piston rings / bores.

I measured everything when building and looking at my spec sheet both bores and pistons were right on the limit of spec with a slight taper on the bores (something I decided to ignore). It looks like when combined the spec limit isn’t workable. It’s not using any noticeable amounts of oil from the track day but the leak down / compression is obviously a problem under load.

Time to bore to 83mm and bite the bullet on some high comp pistons, engine rebuild #3 inbound…

If it is any help at all my intake temperatures at Snetterton on 12th October 2023, which was a mild rainy day, ranged anywhere from 28 to 32 with a cold air feed pipe pointing in to the engine bay but not piped straight in to the v6 airbox.

I am sorry to hear that you have had compression problems - but you are now a pro at this so it should take you no time at all.

It is good to hear that the rest of the car is working well.

Epic weight figure for a mk3. Massive shame about the engine, I feel your pain. My Meglio has just thrown a rocker arm and bent a valve so pulled mine out again yesterday.

• Sad
If it is any help at all my intake temperatures at Snetterton on 12th October 2023, which was a mild rainy day, ranged anywhere from 28 to 32 with a cold air feed pipe pointing in to the engine bay but not piped straight in to the v6 airbox.

I am sorry to hear that you have had compression problems - but you are now a pro at this so it should take you no time at all.

It is good to hear that the rest of the car is working well.

Interesting, expected them to be much lower, Andy mentioned that moving the temp sensor into the air box has advantages (if mapped) as the intake manifold gives inaccurate readings due to its position.

211 on the dyno but you’re adamant it’s down on power?

Blue is January, acceleration is almost flat before braking for Paddock.

IMG_1999.jpeg

Was that difference consistent across all your laps?
I wouldn’t look too far into the compression figures personally.

Was that difference consistent across all your laps?
I wouldn’t look too far into the compression figures personally.
Sadly so, that was the quickest from last week and about the average from Jan.

Compression has dropped about 5psi after the track day and leak down matches with the bore size against spec.

Cylinder 4: 16%
Cylinder 3: 17%
Cylinder 2: 9%
Cylinder 1: 7%

It’s a cheap tester so don’t trust the numbers but the leak is entirely through dipstick on each. Started stripping the top and there is oil on valves and looks to be some on the pistons, spark plug from 4 is also wet.

Needed a break after brands hatch, after pulling the engine I spent some time finally tidying up and sorting the lockup. Bench space, racking and some led lights and things are looking 10x better.

IMG_9199.jpeg

IMG_9206.jpeg

Did some research on pistons and rods before deciding to take the plunge on some woosner high compression with a 83mm bore. I wanted the new long rod setup but as I found out the hard way they have only 2 piston rings! Not ready for that level of pain so switched to the normal length 3 ring pistons.

IMG_9252.jpeg

Stripped the engine and dropped it all off at AMS for the rebore and hone, was nice to just forgot about it all tbh. No surprises inside the engine (other than oil from bores) with bearings and gaskets all looking good so will aim for the same clearances when rebuilding.

IMG_9229.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg

I had booked a day at Goodwood back in May thinking there was no way I wouldn’t have the car fixed… Decided that I was going to enjoy the day anyway and just take the golf. Did some research on the Monday and the internet said I was going to have issues with brake fluid and pads so hastly flushed through some 660 and some new DS2500 the night before.

IMG_9292.jpeg

The idea was to take it easy and have some fun, 3 sessions in and I started getting carried away. Considering it was pretty much stock the car was great, you could tell it was heavy but once the front was loaded up she would rotate with just the tyres/dampers starting to hold it up. Really enjoyed the day and felt like I had gained all of my confidence back.

IMG_9293.jpeg

The day has given me a big boost in motivation to get the Clio back racing around the track, rough plan is to have her built back up for January and have a better 2024.