GW 200 CUP (clubsport->racecar->v2)

Merry Christmas everyone! Picked up the block a few weeks ago but wasn’t until Christmas Eve that I have actually had a day free to get started. She is now bored and honed out to 83mm so removing the out of round/tolerance that I had previously ignored. With time on my side I have taken advantage of autodoc and got an order with all seals/gaskets/bearings/bolts.

IMG_9391.jpeg

New pistons arrived that are now balanced to 0.5g, I could get them closer but I was wary of taking too much material off with the Dremel. For those interested the pistons/rods are 250g lighter than stock so its another kilo taken off the rotating assembly, in total I think I must be close to over 5.5kg off stock.

Pistons/rods: 1kg
Flywheel: 1.7kg
Exhaust Pulley: 0.8kg
Damper: 2kg
Total: 5.5kg

IMG_9386.jpeg

IMG_9356.jpeg

Dry build on the crank to check clearances and thrust, I was confident in the journal sizing so this was just to confirm the new bearings were correct.

IMG_9365.jpeg

IMG_9369.jpeg

IMG_9379.jpeg

Piston rings gapped as per NA spec and everything tripled cleaned before bolting together.

IMG_9394.jpeg

IMG_9412.jpeg

Splashed out on a tapered piston ring compressor, worth every penny of the £45 as it went from an hours job to 10 seconds to get the pistons in.

IMG_9408.jpeg

IMG_9422.jpeg

The Wossner pistons have a slightly different design on the bottom of the piston so there are clearance issues with the piston jets. I had anticipated this so hadn’t torqued the crank allowing me to modify without the crank in the way.

IMG_9404.jpeg

IMG_9405.jpeg

Big end clearance and lateral thrust all checked and within spec, using King Racing bearings this time due to the notch in the big end.

IMG_9432.jpeg

Oil pump then bolted on along with sump and the bottom end is now done, I should hopefully get some time after New Years to get the top end bolted up and she should be ready before the end of Jan.

IMG_9463.jpeg

Awesome, I'm jealous - my Meg engines in bits and needs rebuilding but I just don't have the balls to do it myself.

Reactions: LiamP
Spent my Christmas week off making my way through this entire thread @LiamP .

I've been on loads of car forums over the years (always under my username GMballistic) and honestly this has been one of the best, if not the best put together build threads I've read. The other thing that I love about this thread is the amount of work you've done on the car yourself.
Massive kudos to you Liam and best of luck with everything in 2024. :thumb:

Spent my Christmas week off making my way through this entire thread @LiamP .

I've been on loads of car forums over the years (always under my username GMballistic) and honestly this has been one of the best, if not the best put together build threads I've read. The other thing that I love about this thread is the amount of work you've done on the car yourself.
Massive kudos to you Liam and best of luck with everything in 2024. :thumb:

Wow, thanks, all inspired by all the brilliant project threads on here! For some reason I am drawn to things in life I find difficult which is why working on cars / racing is something I really enjoy.

2023 was a bit of a shit show car wise, I have learnt a hell of a lot and enjoyed (most) of it. In hindsight it was all too ambitious as I was trying to do lots of things I hadn’t done before whilst wanting to get back out on track asap. Combined with a new child, house extension and a demanding job means I didn’t really achieve what I wanted with this car. I should have just chucked the engine in the new shell and had some fun whilst preparing for a rebuild over this winter, lesson learnt.

2024 plans are identical to what I wanted to do last year but I am not going to put any pressure on myself.

IMG_9031.jpeg

Happy New Year everyone!

Mapping booked for Thursday and I am not really ready.

IMG_9643.jpeg

The good news is that the engine runs but the bad news is that I have a leak from the water pump bolts as I forgot to loctite, rookie mistake as I believe two go into the water jacket in the block. This is why she is currently leaning on one side so I can have a dry thread, small mistake but it’s taken me all week to find the time to try and fix it.

Is it not best to just put off the mapping till you're ready?

Just sometimes rushing to get ready for deadlines can lead to mistakes. Be a shame for something to go wrong on the dyno.
Agreed, going to try running again tomorrow once the loctite has had some time to dry and if it still leaks I will postpone.

Reactions: GMballistic
Are you sure they’re loctited?
I can’t remember doing mine and never had any leaks
In the manual no but in the R3 pdf it mentions it, tbh I also originally used slightly shorter bolts as I couldn’t find the originals. I have now found them so thought I would try and improve my chances with the loctite and replacing the gasket which also meant removing the belt and re-timing.

Reactions: RSRowe
Just got back from Engine Dynamics, highlights:

- 226 BHP
- 171 FtLb

IMG_9653.jpeg

I am very happy, I was hoping for 220 so 226 is very nice surprise, talking to Andy he expects it to rise as the rings bed in further and it would happily reach 230 if pushed to 8k but I would rather it lasted! Very impressed with the piper cams, Andy mentioned that someone had installed them recently on standard internals and it reach 221 which is impressive.

IMG_9656.jpeg

You can see from the graphs above the difference between the previous visit (211) and todays, the compression improvement from the rings/bore seal as well as the pistons has made a huge difference across the rev range. Looking forward to getting her out on the track now!

Wow thats an excellent result,after all your hard work you must be chuffed! are these the piper cams you have fitted?
Looking forward to your next track outing impressions.
Thanks, yep those are the ones.

Reactions: VeiRoNv2
fkin awesome.

If 220 is achievable on standard engine I'm selling my Meglio when its rebuilt and going back to NA simplicity lol

• Haha
Reactions: EthanMenace
fkin awesome.

If 220 is achievable on standard engine I'm selling my Meglio when its rebuilt and going back to NA simplicity lol
I dont think you can get to 220 with just usual breathing mods and Piper cams,Liam also has high comp pistons so I would have thought without you could get to around 215.

Reactions: GMballistic