On Friday night I spent 6 hours in the Clio driving from Essex to Anglesey with a very short stop. I persuaded the Wife it would be nice to have a weekend away so that @EthanMenace and I could squeeze in a track day at Anglesey on the Monday after the weekend.

Of course, I got back from work later than I had hoped and as we were travelling in two cars I had the joy of driving the Clio all the way there. It was an added bonus that it was about 30 degrees hot sunny weather. The Clio is a cup and did not have air conditioning installed as an optional extra from the factory.

I have always wanted to do a track day at Anglesey but underestimated quite how far away it was.

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 18.50.05.png

Although the track day is not until Monday @EthanMenace and I took the opportunity to drive out to the EVO Triangle. We got within a few miles of the EVO Triangle and then came across a series of road closures on the A5. There were at least 3 road closures due to accidents or fatalities. We had to circumnavigate down some very narrow lanes that were almost like off road tracks. The Clio managed to get through but had it been much lower it probably would have got stuck in a few places.

The EVO Triangle was a bit underwhelming really. Each side of the triangle has average speed cameras installed and because of the various diversions due to the accidents there were a lot of slow drivers just cruising along. I imagine that the EVO Triangle is is well policed due to the notoriety that it has gained amongst petrol heads. The scenery on the way there and the way back was spectacular. The roads wind around valleys and Snowdonia (I think).

IMG_3586.jpeg

Envious! Wish i was there… just sweating in the back of the clio messing with bolts.

B4391 starting at ffestiniog to the a4212, turn around at the end pull-in and go back again (or on to/past bala if you’re heading home)

Never tried it in the clio but i imagine if you’re hustling it’d be great.

some more good roads including evo (which these days is just a nice scenic road to do at exactly 60mph .. no braking) here https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1cl8CibPZ1A0ihN3ODIwMQdnuDxc&ll=52.8229706,-3.3963028000000577&z=10

Reactions: burrellbloke
Thanks @jimmybell

I might try one of those routes on the way home. It does not get dark until about 9.30pm at the moment so there should be enough time to fit in some road miles on some good roads before I get back to Essex.

Today @EthanMenace and I went to Anglesey for a track day. Anglesey had been on my bucket list as a track that I had wanted to do ever since I had seen photos of cars gong round the track with the coast in the background. The weather was a good 20 degrees centigrade and sun was hiding from time to time behind the clouds - it was perfect for a track day.

We decided to bring the Cup wheels with us as they still had some part worn Direzzas on them. Our plan was to try to look after the tyres by monitoring wear and tyres pressures rather than just shred them round the track. When we packed up the car for the trip to Anglesey we had looked at the Ultraleggera wheels which which had two very worn and laminated tyres - both tyres had taken some abuse on the front left side of the car. Neither of those tyres are really safe to use again.

The cars at the track day today were an odd mix of vehicles. There was some kind of Caterham meet going on as there were a lot of Caterham style cars and the drivers all knew each other. A local car club called the Flat 6 had turned up with a range of modern BMW M cars. There were a few MX 5s, a few Lotus Exiges, a Porsche 911. There were hardly any Clios. There was a 172, possibly two 182s. Apart from the Track Obsession red 197 were we the only other 197/200 there.

The track ran the Coastal lay out all day.

IMG_3591.jpeg

Since the last track day at Donington we had a few bits of kit to try out:
  1. Ferodo DS Uno front brake pads, Ferodo DS 1.11 rear brake pads;
  2. RaceBox Mini
  3. Some eBay special Go Pro camera extension poles
In order to improve the Clio in ways that does not involve increasing the power of the engine we had decided to invest in some brake pads that would have a bit more stopping power.

The RaceBox mini was a bit of an impulse purchase. It is essentially a super accurate GPS device that can ether be used in conjunction with it's own app, or a sensor part of Harry's Lap Timer. The RaceBox mini had been mounted on the cage using a GoPro camera mount with a threaded bolt. The RaceBox mini has to be mounted so that it is facing forwards and sits horizontal - unless you calibrate it another way. I was hoping that 25 hz device would be a bit more accurate than the 1 hz GPS sensor in my iPhone.

The eBay GoPro camera extension poles were simply to get better camera angles for the front and rear facing cameras. The front camera has a 15 cm pole that hangs down from the hoop of the cage so that the forward facing GoPro is now about eye level. The rear facing camera has a 25 cm pole to get the camera that is mounted on the rear of the cage closer to the boot lid.

After unpacking the car we set the tyre pressures trying to get to about 32 hot at the front and 28 hot at the rear. The Gaz Golds were set to 5 from stiff at the front and a similar setting at the back.

IMG_3593.jpeg

The first few sessions in the morning were busy as everyone was keen to get out on track. I used Harry's Lap Timer during the morning sessions but soon got frustrated when it started to count two laps as a single lap and skew all of the timings. The plan of using a super accurate GPS receiver with Harry's Lap Timer was not really working. The GoPros also decided to play up and while one would record the other decided not to record, and visa versa.

Despite those small frustrations the car felt really good and the track was superb. The stopping power of the DS Uno's was immense and allowed us to outbreak many cars. This put us in a position where we could make up time on the twisty technical sections of the circuit even if we cold not keep up with the more powerful cars on the straights. After flying through Church and on the approach to Rocket In cars were often breaking near to the kerbs on the left or the right. The DS Uno's allowed us to approach Rocket In at about 110 mph without breaking in the approach and then decelerate down to about 30 mph at Rocket In and not too much before.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 22.57.20.png

As the morning progressed the tyres pressures were being kept at about 32 hot at the front and that really helped with wear on the front passenger side shoulder. We stiffened up the Gaz Golds to get a bit more rotation in to the rear, and to stop the car bunny hoping at School. I normally set slower lap times than @EthanMenace but after a few sessions I had been fortunate with the traffic and had the best time.

IMG_3610.jpeg

I spent most of my day trying to perfect my entry and exit to Turn 1 and Church. They were both flat out fourth gear corners, but I always had to lift off the accelerator so that I controlled my entry speed otherwise I was going to come flying out the other side of the corner and spin out of control. Later in the afternoon when the rear dampers were set to full stiff the car moved around better and made these corners less scary.

Just before lunch we started to get a whirring noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel. The noise was more apparent when it was under a heavy load. After putting the rear passenger side wheel in the area it became clear that there was some lateral movement in the hub. The wheel nuts were torqued up correctly but the disc was moving very sightly. As we travel with a box full of tools were were able to tighten up the rear hub nut to 175nm and that seemed to solve the problem.

In the afternoon I stopped using Harry's Lap Timer and used the RaceBox app instead. This provided more accurate GPS information even though the same hardware had been used in Harry's Lap timer. The downside to using the RaceBox app is that I then did not get and telemetry data from the car such as the rev counter of throttle pressure. The app is okay and shows a reasonable amount of analysis.

IMG_50AD23624DE9-1.jpeg

@EthanMenace just got faster and faster in the afternoon compared to my times. I enjoyed some good sessions battling it out with other similarly powered cars like Civic EP3, and a Mini (albeit I have no idea what engine it was running). The Gripper made a big difference at Anglesey and it clearly gave me the advantage compared to some other cars. Despite not being as fast as @EthanMenace I really enjoyed my sessions "racing" with other similar cars.

There were a few red flags today, but generally they were for cars breaking down rather than accidents. The most amusing red flag was caused by the chap who was using the garage next to us. His wheel literally fell off and bounced over the perimeter fence in to the sea. He was not injured and was more angry that he had lost a new tyre the he was about the wheel falling apart.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 23.22.57.png

We carried on lapping until 5pm. We probably did about 120 laps at Anglesey so that means we did just short of 200 miles on track.

By keeping en eye on tyre pressure and wear we have managed not to destroy the front passenger tyre. The front left wheel was swapped for the passenger side rear wheel at lunchtime. The wear was more even across the contact area of the tyre. 31 Hot seems to be the current sweet spot for the front tyres.

IMG_3637.jpeg

Anglesey Circuit is quite literally on the coast and has some beautiful views that you can see from inside the car whilst you are going round in the car. The coastal layout is quite sympathetic to the Clio so it made for a really enjoyable day.

This is @EthanMenace best lap from the afternoon.

When we finished at Anglesey we followed @jimmybell recommendation and took the scenic route from Ffestininog to Bala along the A4212 and then took a route through the Snowdonia National Park to get to a hotel for the night to break up the long journey back to Essex.

The next track day is Snetterton on 4th August 2022. We picked up a used set of Yokohama AD08R last week and will probably get those put on to the Ultraleggeras. Out of the 8 worn Direzzas that we currently have we will probably make up a fairly worn set of 4 tyres and keep those on the Cup wheels. We will need a new set of tyres soon and I am eyeing up a set of MRFs which are now about £800 new for a set.

Last edited:
They seemed really relaxed at Anglesey. I asked where the sound testing was being done and they said they don’t usually bother.

But, you are right it is a bit obvious. I tell myself that I am not timing myself but just seeing if my driving has improved.

Surprised more people haven’t latched onto how good the DSUNO pads are.

I went out in my Megane earlier. The brakes in the Clio feel so sharp compared to the Megane. The DS Unos are highly recommended to anyone who wants to spend a bit of cash to improve their stopping power.

They seemed really relaxed at Anglesey. I asked where the sound testing was being done and they said they don’t usually bother.

But, you are right it is a bit obvious. I tell myself that I am not timing myself but just seeing if my driving has improved.
Fair play. Honestly you’ll probably go quicker without the distraction.

I have been having a look at the data that the RaceBox Mini collected for the afternoon session at Anglesey. The device is accurate enough to show what side of the track you were on and what line you took. The analysis was just app based, but, today they have updated the web site so that it so you can look at the analysis on their web site.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 16.22.33.png

They probably need to update the analysis so that it can show multiple laps on top of each other. On the web site you also get a graph showing speed, lateral G and cornering G for each lap. When you move the cursor over the graph it shows you relative position on the track map.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 16.50.50.png

On the app you can compare laps against each other in terms of time or position. So I can see my best lap compared to @EthanMenace and see his track position compared to mine as the lap time progresses - this is handy as it shows that he carried more speed through most of the corners. @EthanMenace is the blue dot and I am the red dot.

IMG_54420AC7277D-1.jpeg

After all the excitement of recent track days I did a few boring jobs this week. I gave the Clio and good wash and got rid of all of the rubber marks on the side of the car and round the wheel arches.

The car was treated to a vacuum inside to cleanse it of the dirt and rubbish that had accumulated over the recent Welsh weekender trip.

Finally, as we are predicted to have some good weather I got out the C4 trim restorer so that I could apply it and leave it to cure for 24 hours without there being any moisture to affect the process. C4 is great stuff - it is just very expensive for the amount you get.

IMG_3653.jpeg

The last time I used some C4 on the Clio was about two years ago so their claim of it lasting for two years is about right. The door handles and rear wiper were looking slightly faded. The picture below is a before photo attempting to show the faded door handle that actually looks okay in the photo.

IMG_3652.jpeg

This is the very black and well treated handle below.

IMG_3654.jpeg