I took a few photos of the car today.

IMG_3053 (1).jpeg

As you can see it is sitting higher than last week.

IMG_3054.jpeg

The rear is now higher than the front by about 15mm to give the car some rake.

IMG_3055.jpeg

I got a tape measure out earlier and measured from the floor to the top of the wheel arch:

1. Front right 62.5mm
2. Front left 62mm
3. Rear right 63.5mm
4. Rear left 63.5mm

I took the car out for a B road blast as it was dry and sunny. The car feels great and feels more responsive in terms of handling. I spotted a black 197 with a K-Tec badge on the boot whilst I was out - HK59 xxx. Unfortunately I got stuck behind a slow moving Audi A3 when he noticed me and took off.

Cages are a doddle to fit. Especially if they’re stripped internally.
I can’t really say I noticed much of a handling difference with my half cage, but the car was on standard shocks and lowering springs at the time. I just looked at it as a better version of a harness bar, as opposed to additional rollover protection.

That being said, I have been considering upgrading to a full JP bolt in. Just can’t quite make my mind up.

I have started to look at roll cages today.

JP Cages sell a half cage that bolts in for an unstripped interior for £450. https://www.jp-cages.co.uk/product/clio-197-200-half-cage/

I have seen quite a few cars on here with a half cage - do they stiffen up the chassis? Also, is it easier to install a bolt in half cage than a set of coilovers?
I’d guess they probably don’t but it can’t not help. I’ve got that one from JP and as Nathe said it’s primary use is a harness bar. Secondary is that it looks cool. Third it may or may not help in an upside down event.
Id say it’s considerably easier to fit a half cage than coilies! Having watched mine being fitted I felt slightly mugged having driven up there to be charged a lot of money for an hours work!

I can talk you through the fitting process if you want guidance

How many fixing points are there with a typical half cage? Two feet, plus a tie into the b-pillar somewhere?

How many fixing points are there with a typical half cage? Two feet, plus a tie into the b-pillar somewhere?

4 feet, 2 normally by the back of the front seats (where rear passengers legs would be) then 2 mounting points rear bound (if bolt in, then to the isofix points, or then to the rear tubs).
Nothing is tied into b-pillars

Reactions: Big Ben and R20BTG
So four points all in the same plane (floor), probably doesn't add much stiffness at all thinking about how a chassis might flex torsionally. I'd agree with @Big Ben - in that it's going to be somewhere to mount a harness, something that might help in the event of a low speed rollover, and something that looks more 'race car'.

@burrellbloke or you could go full weld in cage... :grinning:

So four points all in the same plane (floor), probably doesn't add much stiffness at all thinking about how a chassis might flex torsionally. I'd agree with @Big Ben - in that it's going to be somewhere to mount a harness, something that might help in the event of a low speed rollover, and something that looks more 'race car'.

@burrellbloke or you could go full weld in cage... :grinning:

Yep I agree with you, it's quite a stiff chassis (one of the stiffest from factory) now if you see something like my E36....that made a difference (well the rear legs go straight to the rear turrets).

"I don't want a full cage"

Last edited: