driving in the snow tips

I was a passenger in my mates car yesterday and I was horrified that he was just driving as he normally would, but just a bit slower! Not going up through the gears quickly, pulling off in 2nd if needs be and so on. He was just wheel spinning everywhere!

After I angrily told him off I realised how many accidents could be avoided if people were aware of how a car worked machanically. Im sure everyone on here does, but I also thought it might be a good idea to put up a thread with some good snow driving tips for everyone to share!

I've done 2 now it's your turn! GO!

well done cliophil every year the number of drivers who show total lack of respect for the conditions is staggering. my 2 cents worth. like you said 2nd gear is a must when pulling away as the car is to high reving to use normally.

I found going up in 2's is a good trick in the snow i.e 2nd-4th-6th as it reduces wheel spin i normally end up at 30mph on 6th and it is safe as houses. However the bigggest tip I was told when learning to drive is to turn into all corners slowly, yes the 200 is sweet as when a corner is there but take your time and be gentle with the car.

But the most important part is be calm, take your time and get home each night in one piece!!

give yourself a lot more distance for braking, up to 10 times as much sometimes required, and take corners ridiculously slowly!
i don't care if i annoy other motorists behind me in germany, i will not be writing off a brand new 200 cup lol.

stu.

Some people are just completely clueless when it comes to icy conditions, they think wheel spinning is the way to get the most grip!

My tip to add, instead of braking, go down through the gears

Smooth driving, avoid jerkiness or anything that can upset the balance of the car.

Stay calm, don't let other drivers wind you up, there is much less margin for error in slippery conditions.

Look ahead and brake gently, well in advance of corners, junctions, etc.

Try to avoid getting too close to people, especially where hills are involved.

Make sure you have plenty of screenwash, also keep sunglasses in the car, the sun is very low at this time of year.

Leave extra time, not just to defrost the car, but also for the journey.

Don't set off until you can see, don't try driving with just a small porthole in the windscreen.

Clean the snow off the roof, as this can obscure your vision if you have to brake. Similarly clean off the bonnet if it is piled high.

Smooth driving, avoid jerkiness or anything that can upset the balance of the car.

Stay calm, don't let other drivers wind you up, there is much less margin for error in slippery conditions.

Look ahead and brake gently, well in advance of corners, junctions, etc.

Try to avoid getting too close to people, especially where hills are involved.

Make sure you have plenty of screenwash, also keep sunglasses in the car, the sun is very low at this time of year.

Leave extra time, not just to defrost the car, but also for the journey.

Don't set off until you can see, don't try driving with just a small porthole in the windscreen.

Clean the snow off the roof, as this can obscure your vision if you have to brake. Similarly clean off the bonnet if it is piled high.

^^^ A* Effort!

When I have been driving I have always aimed to pull up to junctions about 10m before the line and then crawl the rest of the way. This comes out of experience in january when some inconsiderate **** ploughed into the back of me and the GF at a roundabout.

I would advise gaining momentum before going up a hill, as opposed to using more gas at the bottom/halfway up - it sounds obvious but it is the best way of not getting stuck. The aim is to be in the same throttle position at the bottom as at the top as this shouldn't provoke any wheel spin.

The TG tip featured on their Polar expedition of rocking the car on the clutch to scoop snow under the tyre doesn't work with Contis lol (or at least it didn't for me last time it snowed).

As everyone has said take your time and look as far ahead as possible. One thing to watch out for is people pulling up to side junctions who cannot stop - I have had a few of these over the past couple of days and its not nice seeing them skid to a halt infront of you! Delicate clutch and accelerator control is needed and I nearly always downshift rather than brake especially down hills.

So much good advice already said.

Also i would say dont be a hero no matter how good you think you or your car is, If you reach a hill make a desicion what if i dont make it to the top? can i secure my car? if i skid backwards what will i hit? last year i watched an mpv slide backwards and mount a kerb over the pathway and onto somones lawn, Kerbs can become obselete in deep snow. If all the kids were out which they would have been a few hours later it would have been horrible, same goes for decending low gears etc dont mean a thing if you in a skid your not going to stop, whats at the bottom and is there a run off? is some twit spinning and slidding everywhere on the other side of the road? i only think of these things as i used to live in a hilly area and so many people under estimate the speed you can pick up on snow and ice with wheels locked,

You cant fault people for trying to get to work but sometimes its better to get out, lock the car and go home.

Pete

some sound advice going on here, my little bit to add is that when it's very slippery I often set off without using the accelerator pedal at all, just be really really light on the clutch until it's all the way up and let the idle revs pull you away

load up the boot with some essentials, something to eat and drink and a blanket, sounds obvious but you could get stuck somewhere for hours, and a decent pair of shoes/boots and a coat so you are prepared for a walk

some sound advice going on here, my little bit to add is that when it's very slippery I often set off without using the accelerator pedal at all, just be really really light on the clutch until it's all the way up and let the idle revs pull you away

load up the boot with some essentials, something to eat and drink and a blanket, sounds obvious but you could get stuck somewhere for hours, and a decent pair of shoes/boots and a coat so you are prepared for a walk

That's exactly what I do and I have never got stuck, amount of people who flaw it is unbelievable.

I carry my Autosocks in the boot along with a foldaway shovel so if I do get stuck it want be for long.

Just to add as well, if you do start to slide backwards or skid on ice try and stay calm and DONT jump on the brakes or accelerator this will only make it 10x times worse, gently gently catchy monkey press the brakes and steer in the direction of the slide but again very gently (back end slides to the left then turn left) you don't want to lock the brakes up.

Use dipped headlights or foglights in heavy snowfall and plan your journey.

engage 4wheel drive and put your foot down...

oh no thats just me that can do that :wink:

Its all about predicting the road, it takes more effort than driving fast.

Use the whole road when cornering, gear down gently, brake lightly and in time for the corner coming up, feed the wheel in and release the wheel as you come out of the corner.

When going up through the gears be smooth and as someone else said skip a gear out to prevent wheelspin but come down thru each gear smooth blipping the throttle to prevent a jerk and sending the car off balance.

When following a car make sure that you can always use evasive manouvers in case of emergencies giving at least 10 second gap, if the car in front brakes dont brake immediately, slow down by gears or coming off the accelarator.

Pulling away in second is okay but clearly doesnt do the clutch any good and can cause more wheelspin, pulling away in first should always work as long as you have clutch control. If you start to spin then rock the car through first and reverse to cause a rift in the snow/ ice for grip. The motion will then allow you to start movement and then go to second gear immediately.

Hopefully that covers all the basis!!!