driving in the snow tips

I partly disagree, the problem is more because they are a car that, let's face it, many of us would like, and some of those who have them think that the car automatically makes them a better driver, or entitled to be in front of you.

LMAO they cant corner in the dry on a summers day let alone in low-grip!

This is what you want....

piste-groomer-6-26apr.jpg

The X5 is a brilliant car, and with the right tyres / in the right conditions, it is very convincing, unfortunately many are driven by cocks. Same goes for RR Sports, Merc ML's, etc. many of which are supplied with tyres that are fully appropriate for 85% of the time, but that seriously let the car down when the going gets slippery.

I was out watching a Rally on Saturday, the course officials made their way up the very icy stage in various 4x4s. Landrovers no bother even a Korean thingy (Rexton I think) no bother. Porche Cayenne GTS- struggling terribly much to the amusement of the crowd. He was having real bother, back end fish tailing all over the place. Reason? Supidly wide tyres. Like you said perfect for scaring the crap out of us hot hatch drivers, but not much cop for owt else.

I've found that turning the T/C off in the Clio helps get you going if you're really stuck. As I found out last night when I got stuck on the very flat work carpark:tongueout:anic:

The biggest tip for driving in the snow is to emphasise my general rule of driving.

Assume that every other co*k is trying to kill you !!!!

another good advice would be to getter some snow tyres.....may sound stupid but put some on my 200 and when through snow and never got stuck.

another good advice would be to getter some snow tyres.....may sound stupid but put some on my 200 and when through snow and never got stuck.

What brand and what size do you put on?

I guess the 200 takes the fairly none standard 215/45/17s which are even harder to get hold of in a winter tyre

Ha, no-ones taking the p!55 out of me now for having fitted winter tyres, i've not got stuck once and i live in a city built on 7 hills.
They are amazing on ice too and even on a dry road you get loads more grip than the summer tyres were getting.

Winter tyres are not hard to get hold of in 215/45 17 size but in the current conditions all tyres are thin on the ground.

poor KAT got caught out in the snow on saturday, snuggled up warm in the multi story and it came down like no ones business, went down a slope nice and easy, with a Q of cars behind, then the other side, its normally a 2/3rd gear hill at the best of times, did the traction control kick in or what, got to the top, bit of back end slide on the bend and a look in the rear view and not a car in sight.

did find that every camber and the back end went a little.

........................................................................................................................

last night he took the fiesta out, after 3 hours KAT was staying on the drive going up the slope he was moving ok till some kn*b opened their door and he ground to a halt, tried a gentle clutch and nothng, only choice was a top gear special as someone mentioned earlier, lots of revs, bouncing in the seat and palming the wheel side to side, not text book but it worked.
what we did notice is the car went throught the MOT friday and 3 tyres were given advisories with an estimate of 1month the other was borderline so the spare was put on, looking at the tread pattern in vergin show we were amazed and shocked at how little the older tyres were marking the snow, almost slicks. its scary

What brand and what size do you put on?

I guess the 200 takes the fairly none standard 215/45/17s which are even harder to get hold of in a winter tyre

tyres were fairly easy to find / order for the clio. I was looking at michelin alpine 3 but the garage could get them so got some unknown brand, still good in the snow and on very cold road. never got stuck. even tried and went to keilder forest Northumberland through country road Ni botha !!:clap: