catcams and port matching

hi all,
well basically the above, im considering doing it and wanted to know if anyone on here has done it?? and what sort of power gains there will be??
thanks drifter

Think Ben_r1 has the catcams on his, he will point you in the right direction

kev has had alot of trouble with his on standard ecu as it seems to keep reverting to oem map. might be worth PM'ing him

There's not such a big difference between yours and the white one with catcams or am I blind :eek::blushing:

Just saw your from Zagreb - neighbour :smile:

There's not such a big difference between yours and the white one with catcams or am I blind :eek::blushing:

Just saw your from Zagreb - neighbour :smile:

I noticed that too...
And in the second video it looks like the red one is faster

oh dear after seeing those video's its making me wonder if its worth it...
unless the driver of the cam'd 197 cant drive :tongueout:
might be better of just buying a 225 megane and changing the exhaust intercooler induction and remapping or something along those lines.

Before we discover "hot water" (that's a direct translation how we say it here in Slovenia :tongue_smilie:smile: there surely is a difference but it's way to small to go that extra mile and install the catcams and remap the car then.

Now on second thought it's pretty logical to me. The 2.0 16V engine is already from the factory a high-revving engine and as a NA engine almost the only way to increase power is to raise the revs and so the power. And by doing that you slightly decrease the power band or usable power range. Dunno how it works with newer engines that have fully adjustable intake cams and so on....but I changed the intake cam on my Micra K11 1.0i 16V with a few other parts (intake, exhaust, removed the limiter) with a reprofiled one from Autosprint and the difference was immense :blush:hmy: but the power was there only from 5500rpm+ :mellow: didn't really pull in low revs like before.

Would be nice to see both dyno charts from the red and white. When the engines "picks up" and how the power delivery is and maybe a race at a track where the power difference would be probably more noticable as the engine is constantly pushed and on high revs.

for every day use you need "mid-range" torque and putting high lift "racier" cams in will not necessarily make it faster in the mid range or real world driving

the cams and power will only be towards the top end - so you would have to be driving at higher revs all the time to benefit - as you will loose out at the bottom end depending on how far you go with the cams

i am surprised no one has had the cylinder head off and had it flowed better :blush:hmy:

i am surprised no one has had the cylinder head off and had it flowed better :blush:hmy:

I know, the ports on the head are shocking, the machining marks in them are awful. I think it would make a noticeable difference to get them smooth out at the same time as cams

Didnt Simoxmino do a bit of machining on his throttle body?
I seem to remember him posting pictures of this on the old forum.
I wonder if this made any difference - easier than taking the head off.

He only removed the step in the throttlebody so the flow throught it should be nicer but I doubt there are any benefits from only doing that.

oh dear after seeing those video's its making me wonder if its worth it...
unless the driver of the cam'd 197 cant drive :tongueout:
might be better of just buying a 225 megane and changing the exhaust intercooler induction and remapping or something along those lines.

The driver in the white 197 is my friend and has won last Street Race championship. The thing is - he has a stock exhaust, only a decat. I think that's the biggest problem. But, than again, he has reduced the weight of his car by 65-70kg, and believe me, 50kg makes 1 length of a car difference (I tried it numerous times).

In a drag race, he wins, but when going from a rolling start we are the same. Last rolling start I was 1-2 lengths of a car faster (he had a friend in a car).

Here is R26 vs mine Clio 197. In this video the R26 driver had a bad start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS38wmoUQ3k

I know, the ports on the head are shocking, the machining marks in them are awful. I think it would make a noticeable difference to get them smooth out at the same time as cams

Didnt Simoxmino do a bit of machining on his throttle body?
I seem to remember him posting pictures of this on the old forum.
I wonder if this made any difference - easier than taking the head off.

My friend with the white 197 made all those adjustments. He said that he didn't feel the difference. With the port matching I mean.

i was joking bout saying he cant drive.
also if the car is that much lighter with those mods there should be more of a difference no?? maybe like you said the exhaust is restricting

also if the car is that much lighter with those mods there should be more of a difference no?? maybe like you said the exhaust is restricting

My point exactly - with a lighter car and all those mods, he should be faster. He is faster 1/4miles but in the rolling start at 50-60km/h we are the same. I believe it's because of the exhaust.

I have those cams waiting for me in the garage, but first I've got to powder coat my calipers, change the brake fluid, install new Goodridge steel brake hoses, order and install Helix clutch.

I'm trying to get my fingers on the Clio R3/V6 airbox too.